Jacking on the rear axle

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Is it OK to use a floor jack on the rear axle to lift both rear wheels at the same time? 2015 GSW.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Thanks, do you place a piece of wood across it or put one inside of it to take up the space of the open C channel?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
It worked great. The channel is a bit too small for a 4X4 so I cut a piece of 2x6 and used that flat against the bottom, although the channel looks stout enough to lift from one edge being as the back of the car is pretty light. The car sits a tad too low to drive up onto ramps with the rears so I did it this way. Now it will sit perfectly level for jobs like DSG service etc.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Yup I lift my car from the torsion beam all the time, no 2x4, just on the edge.

But I need to drive my car on 2x10 to be able to slide the jack underneath, car is on h&r spring.

I also modded a old set of axle stand so I can use them on the jack point, the V on those was ridiculously deep and it ended up poking the floor.

Filled them up with some mig

Work perfectly!

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Looks good! Well er...except for the snow! I have some big chunks of Gluelam that I put handles on to lug around easier, they work great to hold up my F-350 but they will work for any vehicle, feels a lot safer than stands.
2x2 and 8" thick. Looks like you're doing your DSG service there? Incidentally I bought some rubber tops with slots in them to fit the top of the jack stands.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I was going to buy those rubber/plastic caps for the jack stands but I like what you did there.

I've got a quickjack coming Thursday, though so hopefully not have to worry about it much anymore.