Jack Daniels Vw Fair Lawn Nj Used Wrong Oil In My 2009 Jetta Tdi

Abra Cadabra

TDI
JETTA
About 2 weeks ago, I called Jack Daniels VW Fair Lawn NJ VW Service to make an appointment for oil change on my 2009 Jetta TDI. I spoke to very rude lady over the phone to see what is available for my schedule. It turns out that nothing is available within two weeks so they gave me an appointment on the weekend for drop off and wait.

Since I read the forums here about horror stories on dealers using wrong oil on 2009 TDIs, I asked the lady who made an appointment for me over the phone to see if they stock the correct oil so I don’t run into problems. She asked me what kind of car what year etc questions to me and told me right away w/out checking with parts/service dept that they always use synthetic oil on all cars. I was like I am sure you do but do you have this particular one (CASTROL SLX PROFESSIONAL LL03 SAE5w-30 / VW Long Life III 507 spec). She goes HOLD ON! And cuts me off , then someone from parts dept picked up the phone and told me that they have the oil in stock…I asked him how much is it per bottle he said $6.99. I asked him are you sure you are looking at the right item, he says yes! LOL…Well long story short, I proved him that he was wrong over the phone, he was looking at the wrong item. The one I wanted was VW item # GVW052195M2 and he gave me the price at $12.99 and told me that they have 2 cases ( he did not even say sorry or my bad after I proved him that he has no idea what I am talking about).

Well, the day of my appointment comes. I show up 10 mins earlier than my appointment time. I go to service manager/advisor give him my name he confirms everything and asks for my key. Here is the funny part:

Sir, please make sure use the right oil for my car. I gave him the part# manufacturer name etc…he goes to me: they always use the oil what VW tells them to use so no worries. I am like cool, finally someone who knows what he is doing!

While oil change was getting done I went to parts dept and bought one bottle for me to keep it in the car, just in case I might need one day.

TWO hours later service advisor/manager calls me to tell me that car is ready sir, please sign here here and there. Of course before I sign the paperwork, I checked the part # on the oil that they use…DANG!!!!!!! They used the wrong oil…I started to boil and started to loose my temper!!!!!!

Right away I am not signing this because you/your mechanic used the wrong oil! I even mentioned to you, I even called to make sure you have the right oil, but yet you still used the wrong oil!!!!!!

He said no we always use synthetic oil. He went inside the shop and did not come back for 5 mins and then he showed up with black Castrol bottle with green sticker on it which had part# ZVW-352-167-Q-DSP…Lucky me! I bought the right bottle from parts dept and showed him the part # and specs and I showed him the specs on the bottle he is holding…I told him that the oil you put in my car does not meet the req. on owners manual or the sticker under the hood! He went back again inside again and came back 5 mins later insisting that they used the right oil. I told him please grab the owners manual open the page 281 (I think that was the page # I told him) and read what kind of oil VW wants us to use or it will void the warranty…Finally he goes back inside again and comes back saying sorry I am right, I am like THANK YOU!!!!!

However, he says they do not stock this type oil so I need to come back again. I am really really really boiling! I told him to talk to this person (remember the parts guy who said they had 2 cases in stock?) he told me you have 2 cases in stock! He goes inside again and comes back saying I am so sorry, it looks like we don’t know what we are doing, we thank you so much for bringing this to their attention, they are going to call their other customer who had their oil change done on their 2009 TDIs yada yada yada yada!...

Well, they took the car back inside but I DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!! I asked the service manager that I want to see you changing the oil and putting in the correct oil. He said he can not have me in the shop due to insurance purposes but when the car is on the lift and oil is draining he will walk with me to show. I said OK. As he said he took me and showed me the brand new bottles of correct oil that they are going to use and mechanic was draining the oil already.

Well it was not satisfying for me. When oil change was done when I was about the sign the paperwork, I asked for the empty bottles LOL…he went inside and grabbed the empties for me and gave me a one free bottle for me to keep in the car.

I am not done yet LOL…According to 10k service they were suppose to rotate the tires and initially when they used the wrong oil I asked them if they rotated the tires and he said yes, but I marked the front driver’s side tire to make sure they are doing what they are saying. Guess what, tire rotation was not done until car was on the lift again 2nd time.

I am NEVER EVER NEVER going back to that dealer again!!!!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM JACK DANIELS VW FAIR LAWN NJ….

When I bought my car first thing i did is read the owners manual and read TDI forums!!!! Thanks GOD I did!

I would like to thank you to all TDICLUB members for their input on education new members :) , especially Drivbiwire ( I read a lot of his post especially brake-in period one :) )

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Do a search, you're lucky they remembered to put new (although wrong) oil in after draining the old oil.

Two members here have already had the pleasure of experiencing this^ in their 09's.

Dealer service is a double negative.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Find out who the general manager is for the stealership and send them this link.

98fxd

TDI
09 JSW
Try Jim Beam next time? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have to make my first appointment soon, hopefully my dealer has his crap together.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Now that is a title. Put it right out there for everyone to see. Too many times folks get hosed & then don't want to mention the dealers name because they don't want to damage their already damaged relationship.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Hear hear.... another bad dealer who does not know what they are doing, let alone even talking about. It makes you wonder (if you don't already) about a lot of things done at the dealership...

My advice is DIY, or find a small independent trusted shop, or as a last resort use a dealer that you trust with only a specific mechanic there that you trust.

I know the 09's 36k crap is free... but how free is it really if they are going to possibly damage your $$$ exhaust system with the wrong oil. :(

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I've never trusted any dealership, but seeing these VW experiences is something appalling.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
UFO said:
I've never trusted any dealership, but seeing these VW experiences is something appalling.
Wow! If those dealers operated like that in Russia, they would be "punished" for sure....

I'm glad I don't have to go to a dealer....I have "people" :D :D

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Unfortunately, a lot of '09 owners are going to get shafted by the dealer on maintenance work because of the "free" scheduled maintenance warranty offered by VW. It ain't free if they f*ck up your car...

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
owr084 said:
Unfortunately, a lot of '09 owners are going to get shafted by the dealer on maintenance work because of the "free" scheduled maintenance warranty offered by VW. It ain't free if they f*ck up your car...
what many of them do not realize is: no one is putting a gun to their head (re: taking it to a dealer)

folks: you CAN maintain your warranty while NOT allowing a dealership the opportunity to FUBAR your '09!;) (I'll let y'all figure out HOW!)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
this is why i am very hesitant to recommend VW to anyone on this continent. :(

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Back in 1999 when I bought my first A-4 (Golf GL TDI 2Dr w/ 5Sd) they (Morong VW of Brunswick, Maine) used the wrong engine oil then. BS never dies it just sings a new tune now & then.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
they always use the oil what VW tells them to use so no worries. I am like cool, finally someone who knows what he is doing!
That was your 3rd mistake.

A statement like this is like "Read my lips: No New Taxes!!!" or "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!"

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Even if the receipt has the right oil listed, there is no telling what was actually used.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
you know what the problem is, is that service/parts managers have to watch their bottom lines for shop profit, i have seen some service managers get VW info tech bullitins and just toss them in the trash. and not pass the info along to shop tech , so now the tech (re lube man) just throws in the cheap oil, not knowing about the proper oil for TDI, VW trys to inform techs at training class but the info just wont get passed, and some dont even get to any training, as foor our shop, my guys are up to spec. and alll correct oils are used, AUTOTECH MAUI VW.

Torky09

TDI
09 sedan
Just had my "free" 10k done and the oil used as stated on the work order is G-052-167-A2 does that sound like the right stuff?

Strack

Veteran Member
I've had several very bad experiences with Jack Daniels in Fair Lawn. Now that my TDI is out of warranty I have no use for them and recommend all VW owners avoid this dealership! They have no clue how to properly repair TDI's and will make mistakes across the board when attempting to repair these vehicle. I will look for a TDI guru in my area for my next major service such as timing belt replacement, etc...

nnjtdi

TDI
06 Jetta
I live in Bergen County and use Crestmont VW. They are located on Rt23 in Pompton Plains. I purchased my car from them and their service Dept has been outstanding. They have done multiple oil changes on my car and always used the correct oil. Replaced my defective DMF under warranty,40k DSG service and replaced a defective radio. I buy all of my parts from them (brakes pads, rotors, filters and OIL). Their parts pricing is about the same as listed vendors on this site.

There are good VW dealers out there if you are lucky enough to find one.

Good luck.

grizzlydiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
Sip'n Diesel said:
:rolleyes:excuses... excuses...

VW 507 oil is NOT a TSB! it's in the owner's manual AND under the hood! (AFAIK)
hear hear sir. one of the best quotes in the thread thus far.

although it certainly dosnt free the dealership of blame. if you are a tech working on cars, you should darn well know what youre doing (spoken as a previous tech with a record low comebacks, and as a current salesman).

I dont expect every salesperson to be at my level (arrogant sounding i know) but i actually bought each TDI customer a quart of the 507 oil, and made a point to show them where the standard was, so they knew what they needed in the car. kinda sad that as a "know nothing" salesman, i was more on point than most of the service departments that are described on this forum.....

but then again, truth be told, very few people actually make a point of talking about good experiences, it seems to be human nature to only spred the word about negative experiences.

Kerosene Burner

TDI
2006 Passat TDI sold, 2009 Jetta TDI sold, 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium Plus
weedeater said:
That was your 3rd mistake.

A statement like this is like "Read my lips: No New Taxes!!!" or "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!"
You forgot one...CHANGE. Same old crap from the same old politicians.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
d2305 said:
Even if the receipt has the right oil listed, there is no telling what was actually used.
Just ask that the service order 1) identify the oil that you want used, and 2) ask that only 4.5 quarts/liters be added, with the partial bottle left in the car for topping-up purposes.

If the service advisor asks you to sign the work order but it doesn't include these statements, then refuse to sign.

Better yet, just buy the oil, take it home and change it yourself.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
TornadoRed said:
Better yet, just buy the oil, take it home and change it yourself.
This is the best advice anyone on here can get. These cars require oil changes so infrequently that doing it yourself, or having a friend or neighbor help you, just makes good sense. If you are worried about maintaining the warranty, then buy the oil and filter at the dealership and document your oil change efforts.

Heck, for some of the folks that don't know much about a car, an oil change is a good place to start learning. Besides possibly learning something useful, and feeling a sense of accomplishment, you will sleep better at night knowing the dealer's service department didn't screw you.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
TornadoRed said:
Just ask that the service order 1) identify the oil that you want used, and 2) ask that only 4.5 quarts/liters be added, with the partial bottle left in the car for topping-up purposes.
X2. IIRC the 507 oil comes in a white bottle with a gold cap? I think I read that in an earlier post?

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Strack said:
I will look for a TDI guru in my area for my next major service such as timing belt replacement, etc...
You're fortunate enough to be ~1hr from Jason (TDIJetta99) in Port Jervis. Go to him and you won't be sorry!

I've only had my '03 at the dealer once, to replace the heated seat that burned through (outside of the warranty and before the recall was offical...what a pleasure that was). At least they weren't under the hood. I never even changed the oil in a car before the Jetta, but this forum put enough fear in me (even then when the ALH was "simple" and had been around for a while) that I learned.