Jack and jackstands....where to jack to get the vehicle up highest off the ground?

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
I am a pretty big guy and want to know where to jack the vehicle up from to obtain maximum height from the front. I have an SUV jack and a set of jack stands that can go every bit as high as the jack and more but I have never had a vehicle be so low (relatively speaking) when jacking it up. I like as much flexibility as I can when using a creeper and last time things felt pretty cramped for me. On most vehicles, my Rhino ramps are more than sufficient when I feel lazy but not here. I can barely get under the car without a creeper and rhino ramps.

Thanks.

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Subframe K member and rear axle has always worked for me.
Could you clarify a bit more?

Subframe K member(s) is/are these?

Are there one per car or two in the front? Is that where I jack from or where I put the jackstands?

Is there a way to jack it all up at once from the front and still achieve maximum height?

May seem silly, but trying to avoid wasted motions with an old body where possible.

Thanks.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The outer front subframe bolts work well. A floor jack will stay centered on them. Before I got my lift, I'd use two floor jacks at the same time. If you have a metal skid plate - you can jack from the middle. Unless you have a really long jack, you aren't going to center jack without the skid plate.

Depending on what all else was going on, I used to put a single jack stand in the middle of the cross member and leave the jacks in place. If it was sitting for a while, or rear work was going on, I'd put 2 stands side by side under the front subframe.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI