IZ/AHU ARP Main Bearing Studs

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
OK gang,

I need a bit of advice...I'm putting in a set of ARP main bearing studs and notice one end can accept a 5/32 Ellen wrench for tightening....only question I have is...I don't plan on upsetting anything but swap out the bolts for studs. The engine is out and on a stand...do the studs go in and get tightened and how much or just hand tight?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
There's several ways people do it, most just tighten slightly over hand tight for the studs, then torque the nut to whatever the spec for the application is. When I put head studs in my Passat, I tightened the studs to 10lb/ft before torquing the nut down. In theory it doesn't make a difference, except that the threads going in to the block are just that much more engaged.
Torquing the nut will tighten the studs down too. My coworker found that out when the big torque wrench at the shop was 80lb/ft off, and he broke an arp head stud in a Ford 6.0... that was a painful experience since it broke off under the block surface. It took a carbide pencil grinder and a lot of work to get that back out.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
clean out the threads really good with compressed air
if you have the head off, chase the threads with a tap (ARP's recommendation)
do not tighten the studs, finger tight is an overstatement, turn them with your fingers till they stop and bottom out, then back them off and put them back down with the lightest of light of a finger tight, no tools needed.
the reason they have an allen tool or hex head to them is if you plan on locking them in place with a thread locker, in that case, an aggressive finger tight is ok.
strait from ARP's rep when we talked

TDIDaveNH

TDI
That sounds about right Mongler...I can't bottom these out, if I do the end of the stud is flush with the bearing cap leaving no room for the washer never mind the 12 point nut so they actually have to be put in loose.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
That sounds about right Mongler...I can't bottom these out, if I do the end of the stud is flush with the bearing cap leaving no room for the washer never mind the 12 point nut so they actually have to be put in loose.
i think you might have the wrong parts.
what the part number of the studs you got from ARP? when i was looking into doing my girdle plate i stumbled across a few posts that had an issue similar to this, because the thickness of the girdle plate and the shims required.

TDIDaveNH

TDI
Part number is 204-5402. Studs are 10mm diameter and there is only about 12mm of block thread engagement when the total available in the block is 23mm. I gotta call ARP tomorrow and see if what I've got matches what is supposed to be in the box and if these are the right studs a really good reason as to why the amount of thread engagement they have and not more.

TDIDaveNH

TDI
I see on the ID site that these have been replaced with 202-5401 Which is for a Nissan L20 engine, same studs just 5mm longer which would get me to about 17mm of block thread engagement...better...

TDIDaveNH

TDI
Well, it turns out that the Nissan L20 main studs are the ones to use for the TDI, I called ARP and they said they are actually 10mm longer than the 204-5402 and once they got here, that turned out to be the case...they bottom out in the hole with space for the washer and 12 point nut.

So to wrap it up, you want ARP part #202-5401 for the TDI bottom end. I'm sure at some point the longer studs will make their way into the boxes labelled for the VW water-cooled main stud kit, or maybe the longer studs are needed just for the TDI?

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well, it turns out that the Nissan L20 main studs are the ones to use for the TDI, I called ARP and they said they are actually 10mm longer than the 204-5402 and once they got here, that turned out to be the case...they bottom out in the hole with space for the washer and 12 point nut.

So to wrap it up, you want ARP part #202-5401 for the TDI bottom end. I'm sure at some point the longer studs will make their way into the boxes labelled for the VW water-cooled main stud kit, or maybe the longer studs are needed just for the TDI?
That's good to know! I was getting ready to get some for my alh build, and was going to be getting the 204-5402 studs.

TDIDaveNH

TDI
That's good to know! I was getting ready to get some for my alh build, and was going to be getting the 204-5402 studs.

If you get them from IDParts, they will send you the 202-5401 Stud kit since they list it as superseding 204-5402 Their description is not 100% correct but you'll get the correct ones and they seem to know what the deal is with them.

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
I got mine from IDParts and they sent 202-5402 so they aren't long enough. My order was placed April 23rd and I'm just now getting around to building the engine and finding out they don't work. So 202-5401 it is. Time to reorder. That set is cheaper anyway.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So i was right, they are not the correct part to use! Bookmarked for my build !