It's that time of year again... Anyone want to help propse a Fest?

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
Hey guys and gals,

I've asked this before with mixed results in the past but I am convinced that Central Florida could be a great place to host a TDIFest. There are many pros and cons with timing and location but I think the Fest would be greatly successful being so close to so many family attractions, beaches, and well... The sun when it's out!

I would be willing to lead the proposal effort if I could find at least 5 others in the area that would be willing to work with me on it. It is a lot of work especially when the fest arrives but can be greatly rewarding when the good times roll.

I am located in the Eustis area on the southern edge of the Ocala National Forest. I would propose an area like Lake Mary which is along I4, has some convention hotels and should allow relative ease of access to attractions and the beaches should families want to stray and would prevent us from being in the middle of all the tourists. There is a drag strip nearby, various go-karts, and we might be able to get Ward Oil in Tampa to hook us up with some bio. I would check with local dealers about sponsorship (I have a good history buying from/servicing at Aristocrat in Sanford).

I know Florida isn't real central to everyone but if we could come up with a good enough package it might just make the trip worth it to everyone. I saw a few other Floridians at the fest this year so hopefully there will be enough interest this time around.

So with that said... Anyone else with me on this?

Fred's Post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151010

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Scott....how far would this put the Fest from the various Orlando area family attractions (Disney, Universal ect....)

I could see this as being a really good option for families being able to plan thier summer vaction around the Fest. That tends to be one of the bigger deterents to members coming to the Fest. (nothing for the family to do for the whole weekend) If they planned thier vacation for the same timeframe then this could be a good deal. Also there are plenty of folks up here in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic that have older relatives in Florida that may be able to be incorporated into the schedule for a visit. There are many pro's to a Florida Fest...you just need to put together the whole package.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
ofhs93 said:
Scott....how far would this put the Fest from the various Orlando area family attractions (Disney, Universal ect....)
Disney is less than an hour's drive if you follow the speed limits, usually 40-45 minutes... Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure along with Sea World are closer, maybe half an hour. Daytona Beach is an hour the other direction. Orlando has many family attractions as well as a pretty lively night life for young adults with many clubs/bars. There is a lot here for folks to do around events for the fest.

ofhs93 said:
I could see this as being a really good option for families being able to plan thier summer vaction around the Fest. That tends to be one of the bigger deterents to members coming to the Fest. (nothing for the family to do for the whole weekend) If they planned thier vacation for the same timeframe then this could be a good deal. Also there are plenty of folks up here in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic that have older relatives in Florida that may be able to be incorporated into the schedule for a visit. There are many pro's to a Florida Fest...you just need to put together the whole package.
Thanks for the support! :)

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
I'm with ya! I think Florida would be a good idea. I'm over in MS, so I'm not sure I'd be a great candidate for a team, but let me know if you need some help!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
seems like i can never make a fest unless it's close to me, but my schedule and where i'm living seems to change too much, so even if it were "near me" good chance i wouldn't be able to make it! i don't even know where i'll be next sept. but FL sounds like a great place for a fest. i haven't been there in years. it's not really any farther than new england for many people who need to dravel a decent distance (midwest/western'ers). i've only been around the forums just shy of two years, but i would love to see a fest (especially if i could make it) either in FL, AZ/NM, CO, or MN (little more boring, but nice central location).

i hope to make a fest sometime :) so don't plan around my schedule ;)

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
Yes!! :) I would definately love to see the fest down here in Florida!! I see a LOT of TDI's down here too. There are 7 including mine where I work!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
eluwak said:
Wook... That sig just made my day :D
Hoorah for Family Guy. In Rhode Island. I've been there! (to RI that is).

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
1) Yes! Central Fla - not Orlando - sounds great!

2) How far are you talking about being from Tampa (north side)? I've got fam'bly down there.

Pitboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2 Door
The general Orlando area would be good with the tourist attractions. Lots to do. Only downside is it still rains quite a bit this time of year.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
PEPO said:
I am in Orlando! If I can help Just let me know. I think It would be great!!!!:D :)
Welcome aboard :) I'll send you a PM today to start mixing some ideas...

kharmin said:
2) How far are you talking about being from Tampa (north side)? I've got fam'bly down there.
Well... Tampa is an hour and a half at least from Disney which is on the south side of Orlando. I was originally thinking in Lake Mary but may have to move to the south side for a better spread of Hotels to choose from. The original hotel I was looking at was much more expensive that I had imagined...

Pitboy said:
The general Orlando area would be good with the tourist attractions. Lots to do. Only downside is it still rains quite a bit this time of year.
This is true and one of the hurdles we must overcome... The bright side is that it usually is a late afternoon rain and doesn't last long. With proper planning we could mitigate the risks of being caught in the rain. Even with the rain at the fest this year things went well the first day... Are you interested in helping?

Keep them coming guys! :cool:

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Ill come down to florida for a fest! Its only about a 16 hour drive to Ocala National Forest...

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
I'd be there too. We've got some friends in Orlando who we need to see and it would a great family trip with our first child. :)

Imarobot

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Living in St.Pete a trip over towards orlando/ocala would be cake.

Downtown Disney(House of Blues) only takes me ~1hour to get to.

I just need at least 1 week advance notification to get the time off of work.

Count me in =)

Pitboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 2 Door
eluwak said:
This is true and one of the hurdles we must overcome... The bright side is that it usually is a late afternoon rain and doesn't last long. With proper planning we could mitigate the risks of being caught in the rain. Even with the rain at the fest this year things went well the first day... Are you interested in helping?

Keep them coming guys! :cool:
Yes I would help, work schedule permitting.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'm up for helping, though most of the pre-fest stuff would be weekend and phone/web help. It's a little far to drive from Gainesville for an evening to help(could be done, just not praticle). What all do we need to do?

Hotel with convention centre, some tech sessions, vendors, extra ciricular activities such as karting and auto-x?

When we get enough people on board in FL we should get together and hash some ideas and rough plans(I work better with what I can see). For that I'd drive down to Orlando area. Let me know and I'll make the drive.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Great!!

We have five interested (myself, PEPO, Iamarobot, Pitbiy, and SilverGhost) and welcome more!

I'll be contacting some of the fest organizers for the 2006 fest and see what guidance they can give so we don't miss anything major. I have some inqueries out to Hotels.com and Disney World resorts as well as a few leads PEPO helped out with. If you guys could shoot me an email to eluwak at eluwak dot com with your name number and email that would be great and I'll try to get things going.

The biggie I can think of is the Hotel/Convention center as that will probably be the primary expense. We'll also need to come up with events and speakers which I have a few ideas to pitch in and we'll see where it goes from there! :cool:

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
If you have it in Florida, I will definitely be there. Unfortunately I cannot help organize. I'll shoot of a PM to a few folks I know down there and see if I can get the interest flowing.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
CentrlFLtdi said:
Hey, I'm in Mt. Dora, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Welcome!

I've started contacting some hotels and am waiting for some responses right now... Haven't done much else this week due to work and classes (work 40 hours and have 16+ hours of EMT stuff every week for a while). Disney might have been able to hold us but they said no to the lot space which was kind of odd.

I have a couple of emails from folks but not everyone. If you haven't sent me a note yet please do as I'll be sending out a kickoff email this weekend.

Thanks!

tampabug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB Auto
Get together!

I live in Tampa and have a Vag-com how many people will be attending, let me know I am interested. By the way I have a 1500 Sq foot Garage and a lift with all the tools if some one needs a little help " a Little help" remember I said that!:rolleyes:

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
Disney is going to be EXPENSIVE no matter how you shake it - but it would be a HUGE draw. Talk to the Disney folks about renting the "Richard Petty Experience" Racetrack. It is basically IN the Magic Kingdom parking lot, but you can't see it because of the high embankment all around it. It is supposed to be one of Disney's "Best kept secrets." It is a big track, not quite oval, not quite triangle, which should be spacious enough for all of us. Other than that, Disney won't have space for us on a holiday weekend - trust me, theyre packed on Labor Day.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright... Work and school have been killing me lately (as well as a lack of internet service at home but that was fixed last night). I have some preliminary information for a potential hotel and will be sending it out shortly. I would propose a Fest Proposal GTG at my house in Eustis on October 7th... How does this work for you fellas?

PEPO

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Eluwak,

That Particular weekend I will be camping with my BSA Troop at Flaming Arrow,but keep me up to date, and let me know what needs to be done.

Thanks

PEPO

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Get some attention from national News broadcasts. Bring Honda in they might want to introduce their Honda Diesel there.
Work in several spots around the country where you can have folks meet and travel from. Plot out Fuel stations for everyone, make sure there are BIO Diesel pumps available. Imagine 50 miles of TDI on the highway all going to Disney or else where. I live in Panama City Beach, FL and would probably come down, if my wife lets me.

Think of a catchy title like TDIour de America if you use it just give me credits. or a free shirt...

Work up a bandana for everyone to where around so you know who is a TDI'er.

Labor day is going to be way to many folks in Disney, shoot for an open weekend. If folks are driving they have to take off more than one day anyway.

Try to get some endorsments form Redline fuel additives and Optima batteries and other things that we talk about on TDI.

Get that girl who wrote the book on BIO Diesel to do a seminar on how to make your own.

I don't like him but get Willie Nelson and his BIO Diesel delivery system, maybe you can get some for free.

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
You have my vote

Being in central Illinois I can't be much help in getting the fest together but just wanted to let you all know that being one who loves to travel, and having friends and family near Lake Mary, I would love to see it down there.

Last edited: