It's never too early to think about 2013!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Wow, I took a little nap after my night's work to wake to some positive responses, nice!

Below is quoted Fred's post about expresions of interest for 2013:

Hi Everyone,

Since TDIFest 2012 is coming up quickly, it not too early to start thinking about TDIFest 2013. Often there is a lot of talk about where TDIFest should be, but the reality is the key is the WHO and not the WHERE.

Like last year, I'm starting the process a little earlier with a requesting "expression of interest" by a group interested in hosting and planning the next TDIFest rather than a full proposal from the get go. I will then work with the groups to see if a viable proposal can be put together.

With this in mind the first thing I'm looking for is an "expression of interest" which is easier to put together and will require the following:
  • At least five(5) TDIClub members who are are willing to work together as a group to hosting the next TDIFest.
  • The location you think would work for the next TDIFest and where at least of the group lives nearby.
  • A few reasons why this location would be a good fit
Given that a perfect opportunity to network with TDIFest organizers is coming soon at TDIFest 2012, I am asking that these expressions of interest be submitted by August 30th. If one or more of your group is present at TDIFest 2012, we can use this opportunity to network with some previous organizers to your group put together a good proposal.

After that the next step will be to put together an official proposal and send it to me. I will then select the next group and location from the submitted proposals. For details on what is required for the proposals, please check out a previous years thread on putting together a proposal..

If you have any questions fire me an email or PM and remember the expressions of interest are due by August 30th.

Thanks
If we midwesterners and others are going to get serious we need the "strong team." I'm just one guy and like I said without much in real connections or real world experience in this sort of matter, but am encouraged by the meeting I had and the opinions expressed here so far, but we will need MUCH more it sounds.

Based on this, I'll go ahead and offer to be one of the 5+ person team, but we'll need some serious commitment it seems. Since this is typically done by a handful of hard-cores who are likely getting proficient at running one of these, I HOPE we can get some hand-holding and oversight so we don't bite off more than we can chew and end up ruining it.

I have no idea what kind of money is needed from donations or sponsorships and am NOT a salesman-networking personality, or even remotely wealthy. (I couldn't even afford my TDI if it wasn't a business tool.) Time is precious but mine is at least versatile. I can inquire about sponsorships from a local VW dealer or two and connect the Sheraton professional with orgainzers, but special speakers and organizing a management team are out of my reach.

So that being said while we wait for some solid numbers, who else can step up with me seriously? Let's hear from and discuss with current TDI club big-wigs and get their assistance, I'm concerned about my ability to function and respond as necessary in a timely fashion.

What kind of donation amounts are we talking, how much capital is needed?

I'm going to PM Tom from St. Louis who is in Rome but coming back to the STL next month. JDHunt, are you with me? Jared, do you want to be on "the team"?

I think I'm also going to make a "sound off" thread to gauge how many will come to St. Louis for a Fest.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I am in!

St. Louis has a pretty large TDIclub representation, all things considered.

Looking forward to meeting people.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
No promises, but my goal is to attend the 2013 Fest!

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Honestly being part of the team would be highly dependent on what's required... If I can contribute something needed without killing myself in the process, absolutely.

Would have to get some particulars first though for sure. PM me when you find out more details of you would.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Looking at the Fest distribution map caused me to think how it would be excellent to have a Fest in Southern California. Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara...any of those spots would be great for a Fest. And the weather is pretty much guaranteed. The Bay Area also wouldn't be bad and may pull more folks from Oregon and Washington, as well as western Canada. Fred, this would be another Fest you could drive to!

If the core group of people required to do this are location independent, then it wouldn't require an LA contingent to make this happen.

Just a thought.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
What is the process for proposing a location? How much do we have to have planned before we propose it? And do we propose it to Fred?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Looking at the Fest distribution map caused me to think how it would be excellent to have a Fest in Southern California. Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara...any of those spots would be great for a Fest. And the weather is pretty much guaranteed. The Bay Area also wouldn't be bad and may pull more folks from Oregon and Washington, as well as western Canada. Fred, this would be another Fest you could drive to!

If the core group of people required to do this are location independent, then it wouldn't require an LA contingent to make this happen.

Just a thought.
Well it seems the two guys who were the primary organizers for Ypsi fest were from Tennessee and Virginia respectively :)

Though organizers do have to physically check out locations before making a decision.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'll volunteer for that. I've been to LA 4 times so far this year, headed there for Thanksgiving and perhaps in January. I was on the '07 Montreal Fest committee so I know what to look for in hotels.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Let me know when you're around! I'd be interested in helping make a California TDIFest happen.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Now we have a Cali proposal in the works? Awesome. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
From nothing to 3!! wow!! but still no committees!! and it sounds like they want you guys in the Core group to plan it for them!!
Happy to help with various aspects of the project. I don't think anyone is looking for someone to "plan it for them," so no worries there.

There is enough Fest knowledge around the country to put together a good group and proposal no matter where it is located. Local talent is required and it requires a significant amount of leg work... just need to find a group of people willing to put in the time and effort.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Re TDI Fest 2013 In St. Louis

Well my efforts have hit a dead end before they even started. :( It's been 4 business days since my conversation last week and NO word from the hotel, not even a courtesy note to the effect that they don't have space available. I tried to push it along tuesday with an email, no answer. They have two email adds and a phone number for me and yet NOTHING. Disappointed to say the least, but obviously this level of communication regarding $30,000 to $40,000+ worth of business is not acceptable for our needs, sorry folks. :(

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Well my efforts have hit a dead end before they even started. :( It's been 4 business days since my conversation last week and NO word from the hotel, not even a courtesy note to the effect that they don't have space available. I tried to push it along tuesday with an email, no answer. They have two email adds and a phone number for me and yet NOTHING. Disappointed to say the least, but obviously this level of communication regarding $30,000 to $40,000+ worth of business is not acceptable for our needs, sorry folks. :(
Addendum: So YESTERDAY an email shows up from the hotel. It's dated the 6th just 5 hours after I sent the lady an email from a second address. :confused: I monitored the email account for 3 days before I wrote the above, this email WAS NOT IN THERE. :mad: I don't understand how this occurred but it ticks me off because now I look like a daft jerk. :( So just maybe the email provider dropped the ball here...doesn't make sense. In her email, she says she'll send the information "tomorrow" -which I guess would be the 7th, but there is no second email from her as of yet...if the email provider is screwing up she very well may have...but I don't see it yet. Just want to report the facts fairly as presented to me.

In any case, should the info get to me eventually, I'll put this matter in the hands of another voluteer, who hopefully has more competant email.

I'm posting this in the other thread as well.

-Dozenspeed

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Well I've waited 2 weeks now, no email (other than the one) or snail mail, so there it is. This place was really the optimal option for the event, don't feel much like bothering to start over somewhere new at this point....

Is anyone/anywhere/anything else serious going on with this?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Something for New England is in the works... Fest will happen no matter what!!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
More-than-a-month-since-the-last-update-it's-already-near-the-end-of-the-year-and-we-still-don't-know-where-TDIFest-is-gonna-be-bump. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Going up to check out the Sunday River ski resort in Newry, Maine on January 2nd with Sootman. If that goes well, we will firm up our contract negotiations and go from there.

HKB3

TDI
2012 Golf w/tech
Has Deal's Gap been considered for TDIfest? Fontana village would be a great place to host it

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
IIRC, that area of the country (really, anything in Tennessee and nearby) has been looked at, and nothing suitable was found.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Does it really have to be on a ski mountain?.....nothing to do there...unless its winter. The view is nice...but so is Niagra....or the Grand Canyon.....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Does it really have to be on a ski mountain?.....nothing to do there...unless its winter. The view is nice...but so is Niagra....or the Grand Canyon.....
The idea behind the ski resort was a quiet retreat with outdoor activities and good driving roads. The resort offers all kinds of things from biking, to hiking, zip lining, ski lift rides/tours and more. It's not really fair to say there's "nothing to do there" unless you're allergic to the outdoors. ;)

Niagara and the Grand Canyon would be great but you're not going find something for $99/night on Labor Day Weekend. If you think you can find something for $99/night that will meet the needs of the event, I encourage you to do some more research and shoot me some info so it can be looked into for 2014!

What happened to the NH fest? Its died?
It crossed the border into Maine due to the discovery of a pretty sweet location.

www.sundayriver.com