Its been a fun ride for 305k miles

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
I'm sad to see it go, but a reman is 5 grand and another 2 grand to put it in

https://ibb.co/8MJBzwm

this happened to my tranny, no drive no reverse just a loud banging sound coming from it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Assuming you are talking about your Audi A3, the DSG probably just stripped the DMF splines, no big deal, easily fixed. Easy peasy.

skycrane

TDI
Assuming you are talking about your Audi A3, the DSG probably just stripped the DMF splines, no big deal, easily fixed. Easy peasy.
Yea I loved the car, but couldn't see spending that much. I had the trans shop look at it and he said the DMF finally gave out, its been making a racket for a year or two. Low oil pressure, Mechtronic unit failed, implausible gear disengagement, and unexpected 2-3 gear disengagement, and implausible trans speed sensor.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So, the DMF is the ONLY link that the engine has to the transmission.... if that fails, not only is there no movement, but there is also no ATF pump working, so nothing works. At all. You could not possibly diagnose an M-unit failure if the DMF is stripped. I am not sure you are getting a proper diagnosis.

Yes, the splines eventually strip because people keep driving with a failing DMF.

Inside of an hour, I'd have that gearbox out and confirm what it sounds like happened.

And even if it DID need the whole unit (unlikely), there are used ones out there. They rarely ever fail.

Shame you are not closer, I'd nab that car and fix it (assuming it is not a neglected turd pile, LOL). 305k doesn't really scare me. I'd delete/tune it, of course. ;)

skycrane

TDI
Its got a Malone stage 2 and cp3 upgrade, and I was just about to get the delete done, but my guy shut his shop down for family problems.

I just got a 17XE diesel Jag for a good price over the weekend. So hopefully I can get 300k out of it as well. I even tried looking for a used A3, but the cheapest I could find around DC was more than I paid for this one back in 15. ..

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
I know this is a bit old, but I have a used TDI DSG DMF you would be welcome to, heck I have a beat up 2009 A3 I would love to get rid of in favor of a TDI but I don't think the wife isn't interested in another project lol.

Also, I think @oilhammer was saying that the transmission is more than likely fine, replace the DMF and your problems would probably be resolved, no reman tranny required. Obviously we have not seen the state of it though, but still.