Italian tune-ups really work!

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I verified today my recollection was correct. 4,000 RPM in 3rd is 60 MPH. Redline, 600 RPM later, would be 70 MPH +- a smidge. Rev limiter at 5100 RPM is 75 MPH.

Since 30 MPH is 2K RPM, and 60 MPH is 4K RPM, 90 MPH would be 6K RPM. You got a gasser? :p

Gear ratios on PDs aren't that much different.

For those with 6-speeds, redline in 3rd might be 90 MPH?

This has been my experience too.
I checked tonight & I stand corrected. It read 80 mph at 4600 rpm.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I checked tonight & I stand corrected. It read 80 mph at 4600 rpm.
That's 10 MPH faster than me at the same gear and engine speed. Are the ratios really that much different? I thought only 5th was taller?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
That's 10 MPH faster than me at the same gear and engine speed. Are the ratios really that much different? I thought only 5th was taller?
Only 5th is taller. I'm talking indicated speed not actual.

Randall

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 & 2000 new beetles
You can use "Diesel Purge" all you want but it won't clean the holes or injectors. A high powered ultrasonic cleaner is the only way to clean them out.
I'm with DBW on this one. I have seen nozzles take hours to clean with a ultra sonic cleaner. No magic in a can will save you from a hard plugged nozzle. I sure wish it did! Would save me tons of time!

dumpincoal

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
what the heck does WOT mean. MANNN...! I hate being a noob anyone wanna message me a chart of what all these acronyms mean lol

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
any gear at anything over 4K is good! I get it into redline thanks to the nozzle set-up by DBW and a little tune ...

jayrsingh

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Jetta TDI
I noticed some of you have golf and jetta cars, I am guessing its the same ratio? new at tdi's thats why I am asking. I want to do a italian tune up once a day. Should I do it only in one gear, pedal to the floor until 4500k rpm? then drive normal afterwards? Thanks

markieb

TDI
'04 Jetta, Platinum Grey
Still do a ITU?

I'm nearing 97k miles on my 04' Jetta TDI and I guess I would say that I am more on the 'Baby it' side as to 'Drive it like you stole it' style of driving. My question is I'm nearing needing a Timing Belt change, with no current job and money tight, would doing an Italian Tune-up before a TB change be safe to do with the belts being so close to their life limits? I wonder if bringing the revs to redline would put any extra undue stress on the TB? Simple physics would say centrifugal force would be greater as the RPMs increase exerting greater forces on the Timing Belt. BUT, I'm not a Physicist or automotive mechanic or engineer, so what is the opinion from someone smarter than me?:confused:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
You don't have to push it to the limits to blow some carbon out of the vanes. You might consider checking the vanes manually to insure they are not stuck.

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
After the RC tune, I back off before the rev limiter kicks in. I have never hit it and it kind of scares me when the needle is racing toward the 6k mark :eek:

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat