Issue:Fuel Pump Resealed/No Start

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Seems to me the only flow path to the injectors is through the plunger and if it were broken it would block the flow to all of them.

The path is the chamber filling up, rotating to close the inlet port and compressing the charge to the injector. Maybe there's some overlap so the inlet and outlet ports are open at the same time but if so it would be for only one cylinder.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
We hit a symptom at the end where there was no fuel getting to the injectors at all and the pump was certainly bled much more than we bled the replacement pump.

In answer to the other question in terms of the old pump, I will see what its worth as a core. I'm not going to open it up :)

Ralf

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It's a non-working core.
I do not believe it's going to matter to whoever buys it if the end is removed (carefully) or not.
It will have to be totally disassembled for rebuilding.
Taking the head off and listening if you hear a few parts drop inside the pump or not should confirm if that was where the problem was.
If the pump was sitting with the pulley end down it might not drop the pieces but I am not sure on that.
Maybe the 'start of injection' solenoid under the head (2 bolts I think) to see if it exploded. Nothing falls apart here unless it exploded.
Ball's in your court. :)

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I've performed the replacement of the o-ring around the head twice on my own cars and broke something both times. With that I've been provided the opportunity to repair the injection pumps myself. Not everyone is comfortable doing so and I don't recommend it to anyone that feels uncomfortable. My own assessment of the pump based on my own experience is a shim is broken. With the replacement pump on the car it purrs like it should. Time being what it is one of my recommendations is to sell it as a non working core. If I had an appropriate engine to test it on I might undertake the repair myself, but have enough going on to keep me more than busy.

Thanks, Ralf, for the opportunity to work on an ALH. I can better appreciate the 1Z mount setup in the Passat now.