Is VoA really retarded....

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
It means you wouldn't have a clue what it takes to be one of us. But I dare anyone who thinks they can to go to boot camp live threw 3 months of Hell and I'll be standing there on the grinder to welcome them in to the brotherhood. We are few and we are proud. Once you've earned it then you will understand until then....well you know.

I think that you have your idioms mixed up. 'Cut from a different breed' is something that you made up yourself and it makes no sense. I think that you mean either, 'cut from a different cloth' or 'a breed apart'.

Thanks for your service.

Last edited:

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I spent 20+ years serving my country in our military and retiring with a medical pension for injuries sustained during that service - that would be Canada and not "your" great country. I'm sorry but you don't have a lock on service.
To single yourself and your "brotherhood" of jars out as the saviours of the world sounds just shy of ridiculous and not just slightly the result of brain washing.
I think you're being offensive enough as it is - anymore and the rest of us are likely to gag in your self-righteousness and over inflated sense of self-worth.
Guess you've got your opinion, and I've got mine. I'm happy to leave it as it is and let you live in your fantasy world where you can do no wrong, living on the coat tails of a branch of service to which you may or may not belong to. As soon as I figure out how to block your posts I'll do that so as not to be subjected to your drivel here or on any other thread.

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
With all the ethereal opinions on this thread, maybe someone could enlighten me on a question that has long been on my mind.........Did Eve (Adam and Eve) have a navel?

And...why is thread still alive?

And Jarhead, thanks you Devil Dog! SF

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I spent 20+ years serving my country in our military and retiring with a medical pension for injuries sustained during that service - that would be Canada and not "your" great country. I'm sorry but you don't have a lock on service.
To single yourself and your "brotherhood" of jars out as the saviours of the world sounds just shy of ridiculous and not just slightly the result of brain washing.
I think you're being offensive enough as it is - anymore and the rest of us are likely to gag in your self-righteousness and over inflated sense of self-worth.
Guess you've got your opinion, and I've got mine. I'm happy to leave it as it is and let you live in your fantasy world where you can do no wrong, living on the coat tails of a branch of service to which you may or may not belong to. As soon as I figure out how to block your posts I'll do that so as not to be subjected to your drivel here or on any other thread.
Well said sir.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just because a word has multiple definitions, some derogatory and some benign, does not relieve someone from the responsibility of it's use when both intrepretations could reasonably be applied, especially when most people would take the derogatory intrepretation as the implied one. If this confusion is likely to occur, one should pick a different word to use. In this case, what the OP titled his thread was absolutely on the derogatory side of the word's definition in almost everyone's view here.

BTW, jarhead...I appreciate your past service to our country, I really do. But it doesn't give you carte blanch to be able to offend people, knowingly or not, and justify it by pointing to your military service. I suggest you "man up" and just apologize for a poor choice of words, and move on.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Just because a word has multiple definitions, some derogatory and some benign, does not relieve someone from the responsibility of it's use when both intrepretations could reasonably be applied, especially when most people would take the derogatory intrepretation as the implied one. If this confusion is likely to occur, one should pick a different word to use. In this case, what the OP titled his thread was absolutely on the derogatory side of the word's definition in almost everyone's view here.
What a prick.:D

This isn't an opinion, it's an example of a word that could be derogatory or not depending on usage.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
whitedog, putting a smiley face behind a derogatory personal attack, you are indeed a class act. You should read up on the forum rules....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
You did read the rest of my post, right? I wasn't actually calling you that, I was just using it as an example.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
Dog, sorry, that one went right over my head! Now I understand and I apologize! Actually, you reinforced my point (if the smiley wasn't there, which was the qualifier that I didn't catch at first)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Come on guys, its time to let this thread die. Both sides of this debate have made their opinions clear more than once. Re-hashing the same argument over and over is a waste of time (at best). Can't we just let this thread die from neglect?

Thank you

Don

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Dog, sorry, that one went right over my head! Now I understand and I apologize! Actually, you reinforced my point

I figured you missed it. It's all good. Reinforcing your point was my point.

Now, Die thread! DIE!!!!

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Die, Thread, Die!!!

Death from above...Gunship style!

By the way JarHead, you left one group of people off of your list who know about Marines...their kids!

Semper FI

Waynoooo

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010 - dumped it for Golf R
First of all sorry for keeping this thread alive.

I thought about this debate and here is what I realized: when the OP said "Is VoA really retarded" he made a comparison between a company and a group of individuals who are challenged in a certain way. In fact the OP made the readers make that comparison in their heads. I personally don't care about political correctness (and I often hate it) but I care about logic. My conclusion is that saying that OP used the word "retarded" exclusively in relation to a corporation is illogical. If the OP thinks that it is not an appropriate way to refer to people he should apologize for his choice of words, even though I am sure everybody understands that he meant no disrespect to anybody other than a certain corporation.

This video came to mind in relation to this debate. The first minute of it has a similar point. Please don't listen to it if you are easily offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Here I am sorry for using a poor choice of words.

The lien of release showed up Saturday.

Just one more piece I'd like to add. If I had used the word "slow" in stead of the other word would I have been as flamed? Even though the word slow can be referred to mentally challenged people as well? That is all.

Semper fi

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
To seal the thread (hopefully): Glad you finally got your release.

Thanks to all who have served their respective countires.

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
Just one more piece I'd like to add. If I had used the word "slow" in stead of the other word would I have been as flamed? Even though the word slow can be referred to mentally challenged people as well? That is all.
Semper fi
Simple: don't refer to any of the unfortunate folks when you are not doing it for their benefit. Does not matter what words are used.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Simple: don't refer to any of the unfortunate folks when you are not doing it for their benefit. Does not matter what words are used.
But dude I wasn't referring to them...wow again with this. Lmao this is just funny to me. Beat that drum son!! When you get to heaven you can tell god back in 2012 you saved the world from me and how I was beating on the mentally challenged people in the world.

I'm done lol have a good night!

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
But dude I wasn't referring to them...wow again with this. Lmao this is just funny to me. Beat that drum son!! When you get to heaven you can tell god back in 2012 you saved the world from me and how I was beating on the mentally challenged people in the world.

I'm done lol have a good night!
I guess you missed the point then. Go re-read what I wrote on the previous page and think about it.

Also, you missed where I am coming from. I am not religious and I don't have any special feelings for the challenged people any more so than to any other human being. I told you it is about logic and you insist that you lack that capacity. Seriously, go read that post.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think it's an almost 100 post rant about the use of an improper term for other people. Oh wait, it was about how slow VW was to release lien paperwork so Jarhead could sell his car.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
Can we get the name of this thread changed to "is VoA really mentally challenged..."? It seems that the offended people do not mind this phrase, and actually use it quite often.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I am a bit confused....what is this thread about?
It appears to be about a bunch of people who refuse to let a useless (and finished) thread die a peaceful death.

Can we get the name of this thread changed to "is VoA really mentally challenged..."? It seems that the offended people do not mind this phrase, and actually use it quite often.
Any moderator can change the thread title. However, an easier fix would just if everyone would just stop posting to this thread and let it die (as has been suggested several times). It's time to stop beating this poor dead horse. There is no prize for getting in the last word (or picture).

Have Fun!

Don