Is tuning 2.0CR TDI worthwhile?

sdvw

TDI
2009 Jetta
Hello everyone. I have a 2009 Jetta TDI DSG and I really enjoy it. It has decent power but I want a bit more. Sometimes the car feels punchy (2nd gear downshifts) other times it feels sluggish (3rd and 4th gear downshifts). I was looking to get a tune for the car hoping it would make it a little quicker, hoping it feels more like a GLI in terms of response and acceleration. People who have tuned the car and maybe put some miles on it, have you found it to be worthwhile? Has the car been reliable? Maybe its an odd request but if there is anyone in the San Diego area who would let me check out their car so I can see a tuned car firsthand that would be much appreciated.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
currently 99 beetle and 2011 335d
san diego call janky garage 619-248-6879 and tell blayne I sent you. Yes you can try some tuned cars there.

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
Malone Stage 2 here, there's a large difference in acceleration compared to stock, I wish I would have done it sooner.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I put a Stage 3.5 on my CR (after changing registration from CA to TX) and no CELs or problems whatsoever. Can't speak for the Stage 2 keeping the DPF. Had a Neuspeed Stage 1 previously, and although it's equivalent to Malone's Stage 0.5, there was a VERY noticeable difference over stock, although with the DSG, I did notice some clutch slip from time to time (usually 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th).

gliitch

TDI
MKVI Golf
I was keeping my dpf until after the diesel gate crap blows over just in case that causes and issue so I went revo stage 1 and am highly pleased. Port flashed too which made it even betger

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
sdvw, also consider Malone's DSG tune. I did this on my 2012 and it perks up the
DSG shifts and increases the torque it can handle (apparently, though my TDI's stock).

sdvw

TDI
2009 Jetta
Can anyone clue me in as to which company supplies the best tune. I don't want a downpipe or anything, just a flash. It seems like Malone is probably the best or APR. Any truth to this or are they all basically the same?

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Can anyone clue me in as to which company supplies the best tune. I don't want a downpipe or anything, just a flash. It seems like Malone is probably the best or APR. Any truth to this or are they all basically the same?
You'll find a lot of people on here with Malone tunes and I doubt any of them will tell you it wasn't worthwhile. Plenty of Kerma's customers here as well with good things to say about his tunes. Both companies offer tunes that require no hardware modifications.

"Best" is going to be hard to get to (and might start a pissing match), are you referring to hp, torque, mpg, etc. Also, I don't think anyone's put the same car through both tunes under similar conditions to really compare them.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with whoever's got a dealer closer to you so you have someone local to work with, unless you plan on getting a OBD device to flash with.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Support those that are part of the tdiclub community. Find any posts from APR or REVO? Nope.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
I say this as a Malone customer. If you are keeping your stock emissions equipment, Kerma may be the best tune for you. Their figures are quite impressive for having the DPF and stock turbo in place. If you weren't a cali resident I might advise otherwise.

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
Malone is fine if you are keeping your stock emission equipment as well.

As for APR, I've been told by a respectable tuner that their TDI DSG tune isn't ready for prime time yet.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm not sure which prime time that tuner is referring to. I've got a Malone Stage 2 and APR DSG tune. Very happy with the setup - no complaints what so ever with either tune.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Considering you have the Malone tune, why did you end up with the APR DSG tune instead of Malone's ?

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Considering you have the Malone tune, why did you end up with the APR DSG tune instead of Malone's ?
The dealer I had it done at represents several tuners. I chose APR for the DSG, and Malone for the engine. I think it's a nice combination for my driving style.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
09' Sedan...Well Wort It.

I went with a 1.5 and DSG tune through Andrew at FixMy VW. The lag from a stop is entirely gone and the lurchy shift changes went away. If I punch the go pedal, the car will definitely get up and go. I haven't upgraded the shocks , suspension or brakes and feel that's the week point in terms of handling now. Definitely recommended.
I wish they had the Flashzilla V3 option when I did it though. So much easier to swap engine tunes yourself.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The stock cr cars are already great..but they do benefit from a tune. Mine are both tuned. Noticeable difference.....soon to be tuned.......more.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
Had the APR first, went for Malone stage 2

Several years ago I went for the APR tune. Ended up getting a refund on the tune when I experienced surging at low speeds. Went for the Malone stage 2 and couldn't be happier. Also have the Malone DSG tune as well, and it alone was worth the upgrade. I've put roughly 60k miles with both tunes and haven't had any issues to date. (I definitely do not baby the wagon, and occasionally smoke the tires when the mood strikes.):)

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Going stage 3.5 soon

Just my 2¢ which is mostly what you've already heard - I've been running Malone's stage 2 tune and the dsg software on my 14 and love it. Especially the dsg tune. At normal speeds the car is within normal operating limits but when I drive it more aggressively I never feel like I'm hurting the motor or trans. I like to leave it in sport mode for "spirited" driving as it feels like it shifts a tad smoother then using the paddles. Probably going to be making the jump to the CR170 turbo, dark side intercooler, and CP3 fuel pump this summer with Malone's stage 3.5 software. :D

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
Also impatiently waiting out Dieselgate before . . .

Going to Malone from APR.

APR for my 6M '10 has been nice - a small bump, but leaving me wanting MOAR!!! :D

Plan A: Dieselgate resolves with us allowed to keep our cars (per state maybe, in NC current law is no diesel emissions testing). I collect whatever incentive cash they offer (or maybe it's keep car, get nothing, who knows) and then go nuts with Malone stage 3, turbo upgrade, deletes, blah.

Plan B: who knows. Only thing I would want my JSW doesn't have is AWD.