Is torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear ?

armando_m

TDI
2016 Golf sportwagen
2016 golf sportwagen 150hp manual - just bought with 100km on the odometer.

As the title says, the engine feels limited in 1st and 2nd gear and then pulls nicely in all other gears

Is that the same experience others are having ?

The car now has 700kms on the odometer

Thanks for any comments you may have

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG

armando_m

TDI
2016 Golf sportwagen
If you have vcds, try http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5392096&postcount=29 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5389118&postcount=21

The whole thread is good but those are the main ones to look at. Yes power is limited. On top of vcds, get the kerma tune. It makes the engine more powerful.

My car has way more power in 1st/2nd gear. If I press hard, the whole car shakes/vibrates and the tires chirp. I never use it in normal driving but it's nice to have
Thank you !

Just did it, there is a short twisty road up a hill behind my house, most fun I had with the car since I got it , also turned off ACS on the car setup menu

Love how the torque can be modulated on the turns

the 16" continental stock tires squeal a lot :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
There is "throttle response" mod as well as starting "vibration reduction" mod both worth while to disable.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
And setting the steering to Sport/Dynamic. The throttle and steering changes really improved the car.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reported here by multiple people it does.

It took the "sponge" out of the pedal on our Alltrack with a DSG. Way better modulation of the DSG and shifting now, really notice the improvement at low speeds, mostly in parking lots.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it works with the DSG.

I always felt there was a dead spot halfway through the travel and once past it you could get all the power. With the change the power delivery feels way more linear with the pedal travel.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Yeah, it works with the DSG.

I always felt there was a dead spot halfway through the travel and once past it you could get all the power. With the change the power delivery feels way more linear with the pedal travel.

Sounds good. Will have to try out those settings.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
And setting the steering to Sport/Dynamic. The throttle and steering changes really improved the car.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
I did throttle response and vibration reduction, where is the sport/dynamic steering?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
I did throttle response and vibration reduction, where is the sport/dynamic steering?
Select Steering Assist 44
STG Access Permission -> Function 16
Enter Access code 17580
Select Adaptation -> function 10
Select the steering assistance characteristic: Comfort: Steering is smooth / comfortable, Automatic: default value / steering depending of the driving profile or Dynamic: steering is taut / sporty

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
neither did I, at least on the DSG car
I noticed a difference in a DSG car for both the throttle and the "starting vibrations".

It pulls a LOT harder in the 1-2 gears and the throttle mode make it much more linear with pedal ravel.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
neither did I, at least on the DSG car
During my lunch time drive, I stomped on the pedal at a few lights when it turned green. I definitely noticed a difference this time around. I could feel the wheels wanting to break loose, and more pull in the lower gears. If you drive "normal", I don't think you'll notice a big difference. I like it! (not sure how it'll do on wet roads though) Now, if I could only get my car to drive like it's always in regen :D I guess only a tune can do that!

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
My car is a manual and coming from a tuned MK4, I found it easy to stall from a standing start. I never stalled the old one, but the 7 was far too easy to stall. I did all three mods, throttle, vibration, and dynamic steering and it is much easier to start and haven't stalled it since the mods. Steering is better, it is still crap compared to the MK4, but much better than what it was.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The easy stalling feature was introduced in mk5 CR CEBA/CJAA and continued on.

Sadly I don't think the coding can be changed for that one.

armando_m

TDI
2016 Golf sportwagen
Select Steering Assist 44
STG Access Permission -> Function 16
Enter Access code 17580
Select Adaptation -> function 10
Select the steering assistance characteristic: Comfort: Steering is smooth / comfortable, Automatic: default value / steering depending of the driving profile or Dynamic: steering is taut / sporty
Thanks for the howto

Steering does feel better getting heavier as speed increases

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
So if a person were to disable vibration reduction, does ASR stay active, or is that disabled in the process? (thinking about the wet roads comment a little ways above)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah ASR is on shut down, vibration reduction is a drive line coding and is only "used" when starting off from a stop.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
There is extensive filtering and it is all configurable/deletable/tuneable in the ecu tune

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Glad to read I'm not the only one who has experienced the easy stalling. I had a MK4 TDI and probably stalled that car less than five times in my entire 3 year ownership. My wife recently bought a 2015 Golf TDI and I have already stalled this car more than I ever did the MK4. It's very strange. I remember easily being able to idle out from a stop in the MK4, not the case with these new cars.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Glad to read I'm not the only one who has experienced the easy stalling. I had a MK4 TDI and probably stalled that car less than five times in my entire 3 year ownership. My wife recently bought a 2015 Golf TDI and I have already stalled this car more than I ever did the MK4. It's very strange. I remember easily being able to idle out from a stop in the MK4, not the case with these new cars.
If this is happening more when starting on a hill than on the level, you can reduce or eliminate the hill holder feature, which compounds the stalling issue.