Is this typical Dealer scam-changing oil interval to 5k?

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
took my GSW in for the 20k service since they agreed to pay for my 10, 20, 30k when I bought it.
Picked it up and noticed the little oil change window sticker says to bring it in in 6 months or 5k miles for my next oil change? So I waded the sticker up and threw it away.
Then I read through the work order and attached was an official looking VW printout recommending 5k services for vehicles in extreme or harsh conditions.
I live near Seattle and would call nothing about my commute or driving as extreme. But the dealer had a supplement stating the Seattle area is considered Extreme driving conditions due to the amount of road construction in the area.
So tell me, how much BS is this? And do you think they went into my settings and changed my oil change intervals from 10k to 5k?
Paul

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
BS, I'd be more concerned about what oil they are using rather than what they wrote on a sticker.

I'd stick to dropping the oil once a year at a minimum (if you don't hit 10K/yr) rather than blindly dropping every 5K. If you can do +10K/yr, stick to 10k OCI.

And no they prob didn't change the OCI in the MFI.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Classic. Ignore. Every dealer (and Jiffy lube) says everyone has extreme driving conditions. You engine will last longer than you'll want to own it with 10,000 mile changes.