Is this the Slave Cylinder?

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2003 Golf with a 5 speed.

Last Summer I had an issue when I was driving that I had next to no clutch petal and couldn't get it in gear. I pulled over, turned it off, put it in gear and was able to restart it. Shifting was hard and momentarily shifting returned to normal with the clutch petal popping up.

I have drove it on and off since then with no issues. The other day it did it again. Now it seems fine.

Both times it happened I was driving in town with more shifting than usual and it was a very warm day like before. I am normally on the highway and my shifting is minimal.

From the reading I have done, I'm thinking the slave cylinder could be the culprit. Does anyone have any thoughts on anything else I should consider before replacing it?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
sounds like air in the system. I would try checking the fluid level and bleeding the system. before buying a slave cylinder.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Sounds more like the master to me. If the slave did that you'd be loosing fluid. You don't mention that.

But yeah, check the brake fluid first. Clutch uses the same reservoir. I wouldn't bother bleeding it unless fluid got too low. Clutch acts up before brakes are affected.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes and no. It uses the master to store fluid, but there is a 2nd small cylinder fed off the master for the clutch. It has a bleed screw (careful it's plastic). It can be bled, but if there is air in the system I like to bleed all 4 wheels followed by the the clutch. If you're due for a brake fluid change (3 years), good time to do that.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Thanks guys. I'll look into it this weekend. I probably will go ahead and change out the fluid. I've had it just over a year. Not sure when the previous owner had it done last.