Is this normal engine noise?

BombBilt

TDI
03 Jetta

Howdy,

New to TDIs, but not to diesels. I've had a few 6.6 Duramaxs, a Cummins, and a 3.0 Duramax. Unfortunately, I have no baseline for what a TDI should sound like. This is a 2003 Jetta with an ALH that I picked up mostly for the ECU, accessories, and harness for a swap into my Jeep.

I tinkered with it a little bit and got it running in the car, but I feel like I hear a knock. I know some engines are noisier than others, but I was hoping some of you all that are more knowledgeable than me on these could tell me if you can hear anything wrong with this one by listening to the videos?

I was told it had a bad engine when I bought it, so I was planning on getting a new one or this one rebuilt, but if it can be used as is, that might get me going for a while.

Thanks for the help!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yeah, that ain't right.

Also shouldn't be rocking that much.

Any info from VCDS? Also, the EGR appears deleted.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Does sound sickly. before anything else though Set the IQ and timing, then see what it sounds like.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Definitely doesn't sound or seem too great. Can you get a good pic of the fuel line routing from filter to engine? Kind of hard to tell if it's connected right.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Does not sound terrible to me, a bit of extra clanking maybe. But lots of possibilities for engine noises.
TDI sound, for me, if I close my eyes, sounds like I could be in a truck stop parking lot.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
The noise that stands out to me is the highest pitched "jingling," almost like a really loose washer vibrating around a loose bolt...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Seems like there is a lot of engine movement, check your motor mounts especially the dog bone. As far as that cyclic kinda bumping noise it sounds like something is loose. Try taking the serpentine belt off and see if that noise continues. Of course that noise could also be a result of a dead dog bone mount I suppose.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
When the seller made that statement, you didn't attempt to follow-up with more specific info?
You "tinkered" with it to make it run.....what does that specifically mean? You did WHAT?

It runs un-evenly. Might be one or more conn rods slightly bent from run-away or something. Is it smoking white or grey while it is sitting there sputtering and gyrating around?

Does it fire right up or do you you have to "melt the starter" to get it to fire?
Timing....compression testing.....etc.
Myself, I would probably do the above-mentioned stuff and then "autopsy" it before I lost the entire thing. These engines are getting harder and harder to find. Why just sit there and toss it off a cliff?

When you pull the head, I would make SURE to carefully measure piston protrusion prior to any further disassembly. That way you will be able to determine if you have useable rods or not with any potential rebuild attempt or whatever.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Watching the videos again and zooming in i can see how tight that vacuum line is from the vacuum ball back to the firewall, it looks like it's stretching with the engine vibration!
Most of the vac lines have little plastic clips to route them without rubbing, I wonder if that line from the vacuum ball would have more slack in it if it went underneath the hose from the air filter