Is this an AHU or Audi tdi

sunchihi

TDI
Caddy MK1 Audi 1.9tdi conversion
Good evening, I have recently bought a caddy mk1 with a tdi swap that was suppose to be an Ahu from a golf with 180000 odd thousand miles. After further paranoid research into the history of the pervious owners social media my suspicion is it’s from and Audi A4. Of course it has already started running like a bag sh** but have no idea of what it is to start with.... any ideas...?
number on the engine casing is 828 103 373n and here’s the pic of it any help would be much appreciated
It’s not running great so need to find out what it is so I can decide what to do with it and order servicing parts etc.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’m in the US and that doesn’t look like the intake on my B4 Passat TDI. Just noticed that you’re in the UK, so I’m unsure what other cars that engine would have been used in.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Under and behind the cylinder head cooling flange (pointing toward the front of the car) you will find a flat area on the block that will have the engine code stamped on it. While it's most likely a 66kw R4 TDI engine (Audi and VW shared this engine) it could possibly be the 81kw version as well, and the UK got that motor whereas the US did not. The higher output engine was more prevalent in the Audi cars.

Take a wire brush and on that flat projecting surface scrub back and forth until you can see the three digit alpha code.

EDIT: as for running like crap...the problem would have to be determined but I will say that these 8v 1.9L TDI engines are very robust, and even though they are pretty much old technology they do tend to last.

Steve

Last edited:

sunchihi

TDI
Under and behind the cylinder head cooling flange (pointing toward the front of the car) you will find a flat area on the block that will have the engine code stamped on it. While it's most likely a 66kw R4 TDI engine (Audi and VW shared this engine) it could possibly be the 81kw version as well, and the UK got that motor whereas the US did not. The higher output engine was more prevalent in the Audi cars.

Take a wire brush and on that flat projecting surface scrub back and forth until you can see the three digit alpha code.

EDIT: as for running like crap...the problem would have to be determined but I will say that these 8v 1.9L TDI engines are very robust, and even though they are pretty much old technology they do tend to last.

Steve
Cheers Steve , I’m in a place of whether to spend on this motor and get it right, or put an original 1.6 non turbo back in for simplicity, appreciate you taking time to comment

sunchihi

TDI
So the alpha code is AZN so looked this up and it looks like an Audi avant A4 (uk) would this sound right?

jaysen71581

TDI
Passat
Good evening, I have recently bought a caddy mk1 with a tdi swap that was suppose to be an Ahu from a golf with 180000 odd thousand miles. After further paranoid research into the history of the pervious owners social media my suspicion is it’s from and Audi A4. Of course it has already started running like a bag sh** but have no idea of what it is to start with.... any ideas...?
number on the engine casing is 828 103 373n and here’s the pic of it any help would be much appreciated
It’s not running great so need to find out what it is so I can decide what to do with it and order servicing parts etc.
Very nice, I wish I had that intake manifold lol

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So the alpha code is AZN so looked this up and it looks like an Audi avant A4 (uk) would this sound right?
I can't find that engine code anywhere in the pages I have bookmarked online although that doesn't mean it didn't (doesn't) exist. But since it was allegedly powering an A4 Avant I have to believe that it's one of the 81kw engines. Are you sure it doesn't say AFN on it?

Did your seller mention where the engine was sourced?

I'm not sure what expectations you have for the vehicle, but the power output of the 1.9L will be far better than the original 1.6 naturally aspirated diesel. It's rather difficult to drive a 1.6NA engine against the traffic we have now unless it's exclusively used for a simple city vehicle. Merging onto a freeway is a death wish in a 1.6 NA powered vehicle...and people are very impatient.

If it were mine I would want to know first how well the conversion was done and second, start to diagnose what the engine performance issues are, or why it's running badly. Do you have any friends with VCDS that can read the OBD2 diagnostic info etc, any friends who are familiar with tdi diesel engine operations?

Good luck

Steve

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
So that engine looks like just mine. AHU 1.9... could be wrong. That is aftermarket intake without the EGR attached. Mine below is a PD150

And if so, yes, it's a good engine ;)