Is this a vent?

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Tearing into the 12 to perform a DSG service and I notice a pool of oil beneath the starter. Looks like gear box oil. The puddle is also below what looks to be a breather or vent. Is that what I'm seeing, and has anyone ever seen one vent? I don't know where else it could be coming from. I may have to yank the starter to get a better look.

Thanks guys.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The vent is up there, yes. It is somewhat common to have a small amount of seepage in that area, but not enough to drip down anywhere.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Well that's concerning. There is a small puddle and the leak is enough to have dripped down and collect on the belly pan under the car. The pan is just damp and I couldn't tell what it was until I removed the air filter housing and battery.
I think I will have to pull the starter to get a better view.

oilhammer

TDI
It could be the ATF cooler seals that are leaking. Really not a lot of places the 02E can leak. I would think if the M-unit cover was leaking, it would not be up top like that, but all down the front.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
That's the exchanger that sits on top of the trans, directly behind the starter with the two rubber hoses going to and fro? That makes sense as the trans is damp directly underneath the front part of that exchanger. That looks like the highest point of the leak that I can see. Is that a dealer only item? Would you hold off on doing the service until those seals were replaced? This looks to be something that recently began.

I really need to get a service manual for this car. I have a Bentley for the 01.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, just some O-rings. You may even be able to do it without losing any coolant, just leave the hoses attached and lift the cooler up enough to R&R the seals.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Thank you Oil Hammer. Do you know if they are standard o rings that I could source from a parts house locally or are they some super unobtanium size, LOL.

oilhammer

TDI
I just get the correct stuff. It is not just the size (15 x 2.5, in this case) but what it is made from too.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I was thinking about a local hydraulic shop but you are probably right. Thank you for your help!

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
So I think I found the culprit. The mating surface on the gear box side has a machine mark in it. It's a half moon shape, and being the exchanger side is flat as a pancake that particular area is strictly relying on the o ring. Coincidentally it's the exact area that's wet.
I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture here. Stay tuned.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Oilhammer do you know the torque specs for the cooler? What do you recommend for a service manual? I can not find one through Bentley like I have for my 01.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Thank you Oil Hammer for all your help. The exchanger o rings seem to have done the trick...for now. It was a slow leak but preliminary results after 100 miles doesn't turn up any wet spots.
Looks like I'm going to be downloading a SM....I'm still having a hard time getting past the thought of not having a paper manual....I guess those days are gone.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Revisiting an old leak. Apparantly the O rings were not the end all solution.

My son is 2 hours away at college (this is his car). He needed an oil change and doesn't have the space to do it so I had him drop it off at a dealership near where he works. The dealership told him he had a "major" trans leak and that he could ruin his trans if he continued driving. Said it needed a new pan gasket and a trans service to the tune of almost $900.
I had no way of knowing how bad the leak was and had to take their word for it but no way was I going to pay that kind of money for $120 in parts....so now the car is in my garage trying to figure this leak out. I have a new mechatronic gasket but I am not sold on this being the source. The pan is oily but so isnt the trans, ABOVE the pan...I pulled the starter back for a better look and removed the cooler again. I really does look like it is leaking (still) at the front line.

My question is, are machine marks like what is in the picture common on these transmissions? To me this should be flat....what gives with this?

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Notice how oily everything is in the cooler area, not sure its possible that it is the pan gasket.
BTW, the "major" leak turned out to be not so much. Almost 30k since last service and I drained just a wee under 4.5 liters out. Still like to get this figured out and get the front of this thing dried up.

Tdi/gti kid

TDI
2011 Jetta Tdi
Revisiting an old leak. Apparantly the O rings were not the end all solution.

My son is 2 hours away at college (this is his car). He needed an oil change and doesn't have the space to do it so I had him drop it off at a dealership near where he works. The dealership told him he had a "major" trans leak and that he could ruin his trans if he continued driving. Said it needed a new pan gasket and a trans service to the tune of almost $900.
I had no way of knowing how bad the leak was and had to take their word for it but no way was I going to pay that kind of money for $120 in parts....so now the car is in my garage trying to figure this leak out. I have a new mechatronic gasket but I am not sold on this being the source. The pan is oily but so isnt the trans, ABOVE the pan...I pulled the starter back for a better look and removed the cooler again. I really does look like it is leaking (still) at the front line.

My question is, are machine marks like what is in the picture common on these transmissions? To me this should be flat....what gives with this?

I’m going to be taking my oil cooler off when I change my DMF. I’ll let you know if mine looks like this also!

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I’m going to be taking my oil cooler off when I change my DMF. I’ll let you know if mine looks like this also!
My problem ended up being the mating surface of the cooler. There were some imperfections in the surface that best resembled weld spatter. I plugged the ports and took a sanding block across the surface. It's been good so far.

Tdi/gti kid

TDI
2011 Jetta Tdi
My problem ended up being the mating surface of the cooler. There were some imperfections in the surface that best resembled weld spatter. I plugged the ports and took a sanding block across the surface. It's been good so far.
Good to hear man! I just need the O-rings and trying to find other than stealership! I’ll go that route if I can’t find locally elsewhere.. One thing I hate about VW is all the hidden information and specs etc.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I hear ya. I can't even find solid info for the correct torque specs for the DMF that I'm replacing right now. I ordered a 24 hr subscription but am waiting for it to go through, which may not be until Monday.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I hear ya. I can't even find solid info for the correct torque specs for the DMF that I'm replacing right now. I ordered a 24 hr subscription but am waiting for it to go through, which may not be until Monday.
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a complete torque booklet (for an Audi A3 but same same)