Is there any PD Problems????

bigjim

TDI
Subaru
I am considering getting a new Golf or Jetta TDI. It would be a 2006. I drove a Jetta recently and was impressed. I had 99.5 Golf TDI, and I had the usual problems, the relay under the dash, plugged intake manifold. My question is, how is the PD with regards to the manifold plugging issue? Has the emmission controls been fixed?

Strack

Veteran Member
I'm also considering an 06 jetta PD. My 99.5 ALH engine was very dependable and the newer PD really puts out much more power (drove one today). Wondering if tehre are any "beware's" that I should know about?

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
the PD 100 was introduced in the summer of 1999 in Europe. it's a great engine. i have one and my ex has one, and both have been flawless. she's abused her's pretty well too: run it dry numerous times, partial filled it with gasoline and drove it until it died...

but, in the run drys we just poured in diesel and after a few moments of cranking it started and ran like new. when she partial filled with gas i just drained the tank, filled with diesel and it started right up and has been running perfectly since. she has almost 50k on it and the abuse was 25-30k ago...

if given the choice between a new PD100 and any new pre-TDI engine (North American) - with no hesitation i'd take the PD.

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
Back at about 50K miles, I had to replace a tail light bulb (lamp)
I've had no problems to 80K, however, I do alot of highway miles..

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Back at about 50K miles, I had to replace a tail light bulb (lamp)
I've had no problems to 80K, however, I do alot of highway miles..
But... CR says that VWs are crap... How can this be???

TDI_Jeffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat, Black
My brother just picked up an '06 Jetta 5-spd this past weekend. He traded in his gas guzzling F-150 supercab. He had a difficult time finding a dealer with them in stock. I've told him about the tdiclub & expect to see him here soon.

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
WHITEDOG: CR just tested the new Lotus Elise and downgraded it because it was noisy and the radio buttons were too small. VW has its problems, to be sure, but they are not as bad as CR says, in my opinion. I sold my 02 Jetta and bought an 05 Acura TL. CR gets a chubblie over this car; mine is plagued with electrical gremlins, sqeakes and rattles, and poor leather quality. I'm looking seriously at VW again.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
But... CR says that VWs are crap... How can this be???
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: What CR does not know about cars very closely approximates the total of human knowledge on the subject.

Their information they report from surveys returned by their own readers are statistically unsound - they will even admit that.

But then, I diverge from the original intent of this thread...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Two PDs, the 1.9 100 hp in our Jetta, the 2.0 134 hp in the Passat. Neither has as much as hiccuped due to a fault of its own. Jetta's problems have been all owner-induced (or rather road-hazard induced). Passat's problems have been zilch, none, nada. Oh, hit huge pothole once, blew a bubble into the tire's sidewall. That's it.

I think that post-2003 the A4s (Golfs, Jettas, NBs) improved as all the bugs were worked out. Remains to be seen if the A5s have teething problems like the A4 did.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Over 20K km's on mine - the only problem being a burned out tail-light. Other than that runs perfect - I love it !!

WNjetdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Jetta, 06, Reflex Silver
I have 135 miles on mine, thats right, 135 miles and nooo problem LOL. I think this is the best car I've ever purchased and I've bought more than my fair share.

I will say that I have a little problem however, and it involves the stereo. The PD is in the dealership getting the XM replaced with Sirius. But thats not the problem, the prob is when Im driving and listening to FM stereo the volume seems to slightly rise and fall while drving.

I asked the manager at the dealership today when I dropped it off for the xm swap, he wasn't sure why it did it...real nice. All he could say is that he thinks its the same as what GM has in their vehicles. I asked him if there is a way to turn off that system in the stereo, he said he would check.

Besides that, which is nothing, the car is great so far. I love the power it is already showing me.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
I had what I thought was a Relay 109 failure in my 2004 Golf, but I now think that it was just a loose connection caused by hitting a large bump in a construction zone.

Other than that the only problem I have is that ever since gas prices started going up, all my friends want to borrow it

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
the prob is when Im driving and listening to FM stereo the volume seems to slightly rise and fall while drving.
That's a feature, in fact--speed sensitive volume. It gets louder as you go faster to compensate for road/engine noise.

Joshinthecity

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf C'fortline 1.9 TDI 6-speed
28,000klm on my Golf V 6-speed man. The model of perfection so far.
I love the damned thing.
Never going back to petrol.
Josh (Sydney)

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
No problems with mine what so ever. 14450 km so far. Great car pulls really well and gets way better mileage (kilometerage) than the Ram it replaced. I am happy with it.

Grub

TDI
Jetta 2006 Graphite Blue Pkg #2
The speed sensitive volume can be controlled with a setting of 1-3. Would have to check the manual or play with the controls a bit but I do remember seeing that when going over my '06 Jetta on delivery on 9/8. Mine is set at maximum, 3, right now and have been wanting to drop it a notch or 2 myself.

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
Hi, Perhaps what you are seeing is the moonsoon feature that increases or decreases the volume based on how fast you are driving? If you hold down the dolby button for a few seconds a number will pop up on the monsoon between 0 and I think 3. Zero being don't change the volume at all and 3 being change it a lot depending on speed (faster = louder). The exact specifics should be in your moonsoon manual. Good luck.

xsbank

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf indigo blue
04 Golf:
front wheel bearing
failed brain
seat, fuel pump recalls
clutch grabbing when cold
'rattling' (exhaust?) at low rpms
rear doors adjusted badly, causing paint to scratch in jamb
security system glitch
cruise control died (brain-related)
AM radio is crap - antenna and powered bit replaced no change
each problem a visit to the dealer...best ever mileage 41 mpg imperial
21,000 km.

AlexP

2001 TDI Jetta. 135,000 miles. (new to me Mar 01)
(2) MAFs.
Window falls into door (dealer replaces both sides).
problems with VW dealers incompetent to install timing belts.
Signal flasher failure
Door open switch in door latch failure.
Corrosion in connector to radiator fan. (Fan runs batterie dead. ((Found and cleaned once by dealer, and once by me, wish I knew how to feel like it is solved?????))
Batterie
Tires
passenger window glass getting scratched by something in door???

Feels like alot.....
I am not raving about VW quality.....Alex

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Well, I bought my 04 Jetta PD in Feb at 12100 miles. Just did my 20,000 mile service and have had no problems other than a little hesistation at low speeds that "Cage's mod" (dielectric grease in tehe MAF plug) took care of.

Otherwise, I've never been happier with a car I've owned.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
AlexP said:
2001 TDI Jetta. 135,000 miles. (new to me Mar 01)
(2) MAFs.
Window falls into door (dealer replaces both sides).
problems with VW dealers incompetent to install timing belts.
Signal flasher failure
Door open switch in door latch failure.
Corrosion in connector to radiator fan. (Fan runs batterie dead. ((Found and cleaned once by dealer, and once by me, wish I knew how to feel like it is solved?????))
Batterie
Tires
passenger window glass getting scratched by something in door???

Feels like alot.....
I am not raving about VW quality.....Alex
He was asking about PD's I know this isn't obvious right away, but PD's are 04 + models.. unless of course you're in europe... then they came online earlier
;)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
2004 PD Jetta:

Failed glow plug (at 9,000 miles), dealer replaced all 4 under warranty (took 45 days and 4 visits:eek:, but that's a different story).

In-tank electric lift fuel pump failed without any warning (at 46,000 miles), engine just quit at highway speeds, stranding me. Replaced under warranty. Took one week at the dealer (6 days to locate a new fuel pump)

--Nate

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
Mk4 Golf i bought at the beginning of the year, 21000 miles on it.
only major problems have been cosmetic, rattling door pins, broken string that picks up the cover in the hatch, electrical problems with rear door (fixed under warranty)
right now squeaking suspension, rattle in the clutch, squaky clutch pedal (dealer says unless its broke, they wont fix it) found some leaks around the engine/turbo recently while doing maintenance.
otherwise, couldnt be happier with the car! great power, great handling, saved my ass a few times on the highway, friends are all jealous of the 40mpg anywhere i go.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
The only thing I don't like about my wagon is all the little rattles and squeeks it emits on rough road after only 16,000km. To grin and bare it or take it to the dealership to tear the interior apart, hmmm? I love the mileage and the general driving experience, despite the things I don't like about it I'd have to say the pros outweigh the cons. It will proably be the last VW I ever buy however, even if I have to buy another "gasser". I'm hoping that buy late in this decade a couple of other manufacturers will sell vehicles with proven diesels in them.

PAPADUZA

Veteran Member
TDI
PD Jetta Wagon, 2004, Graphite Blue
It only took 3 years to find my problem

Problems started at 350 miles. New ECU, new firmware, new ground wire, new sensors, multiple free rides to dealer on flat bed....FINALLY...they changed the engine wiring harness...now to fight for my SECOND cracked windshield due to stress cracking.. Thankfully its still a ball to drive.