Is there any oil you can buy locally that is good for our cars? (MK7 TDI)

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Looks like it's gonna take about 5.5 quarts (or 5.7-6.0 depending on who you research) of approved oil for my first oil change once I get my 2015 Golf TDI.

It would seem these newer models are more specific on oil than my older ALH. I have seen the oil for sale on idparts and can also get some of the approved oil on Amazon, but I hate ordering stuff like this online. Especially when your car may drink a little oil, leak a little oil, or maybe you just spilled a bit doing an oil change and now you need more on the spot and can't wait for the mail to be delivered.

Is there any oil I can find locally? Like at a Napa or Autozone? I love my Rotella T6, but I have heard that is not an approved oil for the EA288 2.0 engine.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Looks like it's gonna take about 5.5 quarts (or 5.7-6.0 depending on who you research) of approved oil for my first oil change once I get my 2015 Golf TDI.

It would seem these newer models are more specific on oil than my older ALH. I have seen the oil for sale on idparts and can also get some of the approved oil on Amazon, but I hate ordering stuff like this online. Especially when your car may drink a little oil, leak a little oil, or maybe you just spilled a bit doing an oil change and now you need more on the spot and can't wait for the mail to be delivered.

Is there any oil I can find locally? Like at a Napa or Autozone? I love my Rotella T6, but I have heard that is not an approved oil for the EA288 2.0 engine.
Well, I just say suck it up. Buy the 507.00 spec oil from whatever supplier you can find and have it delivered to your front door. Your new car should not drink or leak any and if you spill some well maybe you should not change your own oil. What a weird post!

Last edited:

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I am asking if there is anywhere local to get the oil. I don't consider that to be "weird". If you don't know, you could just have said so.

Not all of us want to buy everything "online".

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That oil doesn't show any VW certifications. If you don't want to have it shipped to you then buy some at the VW dealer.

Shameless plug: we're offering free oil filter wrenches with service kits this weekend.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
You can either buy Castrol at the dealership. Or if you live near a Pep Boys they sell Mobile ESP.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bought 507 mobile1 at Pep boys a couple times. They raised the price to some ridiculous amount though, so I then had a case delivered to my door for much cheaper. I also saved by getting oil filters delivered by the dozen.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Your area may be different CALL911, but my local VW Dealer sells Castrol VW Spec oils at surprisingly competitive prices. You may want to stop by and see what your Dealer offers. Best wishes in your search and in your work.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
I can get 507 oil at the local o rieleys and Napa but it's like $10 a quart !. I find the dealer to be cheaper @ around $8. So I go that way. I am still hopeing the local Wal-Mart starts selling it. They have recently added a 502 505 spec and also a Pennzoil platnum ultra 5-30w for the ram ecodiesel and the Mercedes but still no vw 507 spec. Just make sure the bottle says 507. Parts store has tried to sell me standard mobil 1 before.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I bought 507 mobile1 at Pep boys a couple times. They raised the price to some ridiculous amount though, so I then had a case delivered to my door for much cheaper. I also saved by getting oil filters delivered by the dozen.
Their insane on the prices. I just thought I'd mention it, in case someone needed some oil in a pinch.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Awesome info. I do have a pep boys and a VW dealer near me, so I will check them out. Likely I'll buy the first oil change through idparts, I just wanted to have something available to me locally if possible. I'm just in the process of buying the car now and have no idea what oil is currently in it, so I'll be doing an oil change as soon as I can.

I have heard that for the 2.0 EA288 motor that an oil change is a lengthy and not simple process. Is there a good YouTube video of how to change the oil? (I have looked but did not find one).

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Awesome info. I do have a pep boys and a VW dealer near me, so I will check them out. Likely I'll buy the first oil change through idparts, I just wanted to have something available to me locally if possible. I'm just in the process of buying the car now and have no idea what oil is currently in it, so I'll be doing an oil change as soon as I can.

I have heard that for the 2.0 EA288 motor that an oil change is a lengthy and not simple process. Is there a good YouTube video of how to change the oil? (I have looked but did not find one).
I'm not sure anyone has made a video. Maybe I'll do that when mine is due again at 10K miles. I did a change when I bought mine, because I don't trust dealers to have done so, and it was obviously less convenient with a bottom-mount filter, but it wasn't that bad. You do have to disconnect an electrical plug that sits below the filter and move a wiring harness out of the way (it's all self-explanatory when you're under there). Then there's a built-in drain plug recessed in the hex built into the filter canister. You can unscrew it to allow the oil to drain out of the canister before you unscrew it. There's also a small o-ring in there that you'll want to change, in addition to the big o-ring around the canister.

This may help a little, but it is not exactly detail-laden. They don't even mention the canister drain plug: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=439016

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's really hard to beat $50.95 (+$5 shipping) for 6 liters of 507 oil, a filter, a drain plug, and a pair of nitrile gloves. http://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cvcacrua-p-4752.html

If you can find a dealer or Pep Boys or Amazon who will sell you all that for $56 total, let me know.
That is a great deal, not to mention convenient. Plus they offer 507 oils from Mobil, Liqui Moly, Total, Pennzoil, and Pentosin- in addition to Castrol. Honestly, the Castrol would be my last choice.

Last edited:

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
For how somewhat complicated the oil change is, we really do need to have a good DIY YouTube video. If someone has a good link to one, please post it up.

PaulL

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
That is a great deal, not to mention convenient. Plus they offer 507 oils from Mobil, Liqui Moly, Total, Pennzoil, and Pentosin- in addition to Castrol. Honestly, the Castrol would be my last choice.
What is wrong with the Castrol? Edge professional LL03 is vw507 certified. Any bad experiences? Is it OK for a 10k mi OCI? I just had the oil changed at the dealer for $99 plus 20% off using Castrol LL03. Could not say no to the offer at such low price.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
What is wrong with the Castrol? Edge professional LL03 is vw507 certified. Any bad experiences? Is it OK for a 10k mi OCI? I just had the oil changed at the dealer for $99 plus 20% off using Castrol LL03. Could not say no to the offer at such low price.
Not a darn thing, for a 10K oci. THat's what I put in mine. I'll probably go with Total next change just because it's cheaper from IDParts.

There is a good one from Jason
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=439016
but it is not a video.
I already linked that, but twice can't hurt. :p

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nothing wrong with it. It would just be my last choice of those oils. Might just be a subconcious reaction to the Castrol logo printed on my oil cap. I'd probably choose the mobil1 first. But I have used over a half dozen different oils in my golf- and they all work great.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I use Amsoil so I'm getting it that way but strongly recommend ID Parts. Good peoples and good pricing. I bought their oil filter socket. Use it and my local Uncle borrows it all the time. :)

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
It is not hard at all. It is actually an easy and virtually mess free oil change.
Just zip-tie the wiring harness out of the way (I don't even unplug it) and use the Oil drain plug in the filter housing.
My 09 was easier with the top oil filter but I still had to remove the belly cover. So the 15 is a couple of more steps, no big deal.

Last edited:

PaulL

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Thanks guys for the replies and sorry for reposting the instruction.

Did some research and found the Mobil1 ESP looked better than the Castrol LL03. The flash point is much higher 254C vs 202C. The sulphated ash wt percentage is lower in the Mobil1 0.6 vs 0.75.

My neighbor dealer carried Pennzoil ultra euro L 5w30 before it was discontinued. It was a good oil in my opinion and vw507 certified. So I'd assume the platinum euro lx is also a good one especially for cold winters.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the Pennzoil 507 would be my second choice after the mobil1. From what I remember it has specs very similar to the mobil1 esp.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I made an initial order from idparts for a kit. Then after that I'm gonna try and find some local oil. Thanks for all the info.

Still hoping someone can do or has a link to a DIY YouTube video of changing the oil in one of these. I have seen the thread, and there is good info there, but not the same as an actual video showing everything and how helpful that would be.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's really hard to beat $50.95 (+$5 shipping) for 6 liters of 507 oil, a filter, a drain plug, and a pair of nitrile gloves. http://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cvcacrua-p-4752.html

If you can find a dealer or Pep Boys or Amazon who will sell you all that for $56 total, let me know.

back in the day I hit up the pepboys for mobile 1 ESP when they were doing 5 bottles ob M1 plus oil filter for $65 or something, I picked out the most expensive oil filter they had on the shelf $15-20 and then returned the filter for in store gift cards, did that 2-3 times enough to buy enough oil for a change with the gift cards.

That and they always had $5 black friday ads for M1, did that twice and fought them each time as the ad didn't say any exclusions. The year after that, they pulled all M1 ESP off the shelves, and claimed they were out of stock.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I made an initial order from idparts for a kit. Then after that I'm gonna try and find some local oil. Thanks for all the info.

Still hoping someone can do or has a link to a DIY YouTube video of changing the oil in one of these. I have seen the thread, and there is good info there, but not the same as an actual video showing everything and how helpful that would be.

Napa has oil sales every now and then usually offer some deal if you order online pick up in the store. I picked up M1 5W40 ESP M which isn't 507 oil but meets the same MB and BMW spec that I never had any issue with it in the jetta.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Napa has oil sales every now and then usually offer some deal if you order online pick up in the store. I picked up M1 5W40 ESP M which isn't 507 oil but meets the same MB and BMW spec that I never had any issue with it in the jetta.
The mobil1 Formula M ESP was only mb 229.51 rated. I bought a couple cases @ $7 qt. from an online vendor. I've also heard that NAPA has some great deals on the mobil1 oils pretty regularly. They discontinued the Formula M ESP- maybe because the 5w30 ESP also carries a mb 229.51 rating.