Is there a way to "raise" your suspension?

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
Ok in the begining I installed an H&R suspension on my car and lowered it. Now, seven years later and with fuel prices so high I'd like to be able to use my car for my backpacking trips. That means my car needs to be taller than it is. I need more ground clearence. I dont have my stock suspension anymore, and I dont think Id want it either way. Is there a suspension out there that will raise my car back up to stock height, or even taller?

My car regularly gets 55-60 mpg so Id really like to be able to drive it to trailheads this summer.

Thanks.

Tom

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I've got a Metalnerd lift kit that I bought from another member not too long ago. I found out afterwards that it won't work on my Wagon because the rear spring perch is different from the Golf/Jetta sedan. If you're interested, I'd sell it for what I paid for it. PM me for more info.

Link for info on the kit - LINK

portfleet

Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Atlantic Mine
TDI
2004 Jetta A4 PD
The Metalnerd kit was designed for stock springs, so if you lowered your car an inch, then added a metalnerd 1" kit, your only going to be approx. back to stock height. Another option sedan owners have is to look for springs designed for a wagon. If you switch to springs that were designed to be stock height for a wagon (since the wagon is a slightly heavier vehicle and intended to have larger payloads), they will raise your sedan about 1" in the rear and 1/2" in the front. At least this is what stock wagon springs replacing stock A4 sedan springs on my car did. TDIParts.com also sells spacers that go on top of the front struts that will raise the front slightly (about a 1/2" if I remember correctly when I installed them). I am quite happy with the wagon springs on my sedan, they stiffened the car up some and with new Bilstien TC's it handles appreciably better than stock, at least in my opinion. A diesel geek skidplate is also great insurance on marginal roads.

tailspinshea

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
I am told VR6 springs will raise you about an inch over stock also. The hardcore folks on this forum seem to perfer shine VR6 springs for this sort of thing.

John McMillin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, Cyber Green
However you accomplish it, sounds like you'll enjoy this change. You can gain a lot of freedom by raising your A4: freedom from fear over every driveway slope and speed bump, and freedom to probe dirt roads into the hills. I've raised our Golf TDI two inches and my NB TDI one inch, but with metalnerd's spacers. One inch up just make the car look normal, i.e not lowered. A full two inch lift creates a statement, "Baja-buggy" style. They're not quite perfect: hard knocks at speed can cause loud knocks when the spring rebounds against the spacer. But my cars' handling wasn't harmed much, if at all. Since the lift coincided with a shock upgrade, the results felt better on the road. Remember, a lifted A4 is about as high (or low) as a stock A2 GTI.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Yes, there is a way!
Simple spring spacers......This didn't really seem to change the way the car drives, at least I didn't notice much....I take corners pretty fast.....especially with the RSB.

Here is what a 1.5" spacer will get ya. Maybe a bit taller now with Koni Reds. Great ride.