Is there a way to password protect.my ECU on a 2014 TDI

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
My TDI is getting high mpg (62mpg long road trips no traffic, 42 mpg 18 mile daily commute moderate/heavy traffic). I want to keep the vw dealers hands off my ECU. The vehicle is my property so I should be able to. Will Vagcom allow me to back it up and lock it ?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Will Vagcom allow me to back it up and lock it ?
Sorry, but no. It might be possible for a tuner to do this, but I have doubts about even that. If you have the right equipment, you can write to the ECU's memory. This is how tuners stay in business.

Have Fun!

Don

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
If you have a Quadzilla from Malone or the Kerma QFlash you can download the stock ecm file from the ecm. Then you can upload it from the device to your home computer for backup..... That way if the dealer reflashes the ecm you can simply just flash the ecm back with your backed up file.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You can use a handheld device such as Qpro which is probably the most convenient way to ensure you will still have a tune after any recall.

But you have to be very astute about returning to stock every time you go to see the dealer. Otherwise it won't be possible to recover the Qpro to load the tune for the new dealer flash, and you will have to buy a new one.

A5INKY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
It's not as simple as backing the tune file up to a Flashzilla or Qloader. The last ECU update prior to dieselgate was a different software number and even a different ECU part number flashed into the existing ECU. Reloading your tune based on an old software number will brick the ECU.
Best thing to do is to absolutely make sure they don't overwrite your tune in the first place. If you get a new software number reflash from VW, your tune has to be rebuilt based on the new file.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I should clarify: You can't use the same exact tuned file after the recall. BUT..

If the original file is written back to the car before taking it to the dealer, this unlocks the device so it can be erased.

Then (after discovering the recall flash has been done) you erase the device, and start over reading the original file again from square one.

Then you get a replacement file for the new ecu. It's the same tune, but based on the new original file.

Just a few extra steps and an e-mail. But you have to make sure the original file is written to the ecu before you take it to the dealer.

This update for the dealer reflash is at no extra cost to the tuning customer.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
The ECUs are easily downgradeable to previous software versions as well, but you will need someone with the know-how and some tools.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
It probably isn't too difficult to unscrew the OBD port and push it up inside the dash. If not that, depin and shrink wrap some wires. That was my plan if the car had to go to do the dealer for anything... which it will at some point in the future, due to some rust developing on the welded seam of the hood.

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
A lot of money for a lock $95 .
I would pull the OBD port cable down and neatly cut the can an K lines .
and install slip connectors on the CAN and K line stick back up out of the way.
When you go to the dealer pull it it part and stuff it out of sight .
A flat rate tech will not waste his time to check .
No OBD communication No problem move on to some thing that will make him money.

Just buy one of these types of locks.

http://www.autocyb.com/

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If you open the ECU and identify which chips are the flash memory and eeprom, then look up what the pins do, you should be able to determine which pins to disconnect to prevent writing to the eeprom or flash.

Typical re-writable memory chips have a "write enable" pin and if that pin is not connected, writing isn't going to be possible. I'd assume the dealer would just get some kind of error if they try.

The dealer might want to replace the ECU, telling you it's defective. That's the only downside. You have to make sure you can stop them from doing that.

If you're really handy with a soldering iron you might even be able to mount a "write protect" switch on the ECU, with wires connecting to the write enable pin.

Or you might just destroy your ECU trying this. Heheh

Last edited:

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Here is another way. (not sure you would want to do it though)

Make a backup of your ecu using Ktag or similar boot mode device.

then OBD flash 65 times. This will lock the ECU from further writing.

Discovered this little ditty during dyno testing/tuning. ECU simply would NOT take another OBD flash until it was rolled back with a boot mode device.

adamwilson

TDI
0.8 R2 8v TDI
Daystar Do Not Flash plug provides an effective way to preserve the tune on your diesel, custom tuned ride. I have checked one of them here it is:

This conveniently clips over the OBD II port.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This conveniently clips over the OBD II port.
...and it can be just as conveniently be removed and replaced by anyone who actually wants to have access to your ODBII port. This little cover will tell them that you do not want it flashed, but how well do you think that will that stand up when the boss tells them to "update" your ECU? Who wins, your little plastic cover or the guy who signs the tech's paycheck?

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. The best way to keep the dealer from updating (re-flashing) your car is to never take your car to a dealership (except maybe to buy parts).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

P.S. The best way to keep the dealer from updating (re-flashing) your car is to never take your car to a dealership (except maybe to buy parts).
That's my stategy. And since I'm well out of warranty, the only time they might touch my car is if it develops some serious corrosion issues(fingers crossed).

seamoras

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
When I took my 2012 to get the "goodwill" package activated I was worried that they would attempt to flash the latest ECU update.

I have a scangauge connected to the OBDII port so I took a tamper resistant zip tie and zipped around the port connecting the two together. Similar to the tamper resistant tags you would find on electric meter on your house or on semi trailers doors.

That way I would have proof that they hooked up without my approval and hopefully it would deter them enough to not even bother.

Luckily, activating my cards only required them to verify the mileage which WE did from just looking at the dash. :)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Install spiderboot daughter board and enable password protection
http://www.flashtec.ch/index.php/spiderboot (old technology but effective)

New firmware updates are happening everyday with new factory password protection strategy. Your tuner could backup entire firmware eep1/eep2/xrom/irom, if you need to restore full copy of older unlocked firmware.

You might have a tough time finding the write protection pin on a BGA chip hehe.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI

Hmm... I've played with some BMW ecus that have flash counters, and there were methods to either reset this counter, or even flash without upping the counter. But of course, not with dealer tools.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Yes easy to reset - 2 bytes in the eep and fix chksum or use programming tool reset counter feature.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
Then it can be changed to max values in EEPROM, and bam, no more dealer updates.

I wonder if they would actually recommend to buy a new ECU...