Is there a recommended replacement interval for slave cylinder?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Our 1998 bug's clutch needs to be replaced. The clutch went out a few hundred miles away from home so we had to tow to a shop local in the area where the break down occurred.

Shop rate is $100 per hour, quoting about $700 for the job. Mechanic says he's willing to install aftermarket parts but won't warranty the work (which is fine and expected if I supply my own parts). He also suggested I order a slave cylinder. I'm not sue if he suggested it or said it needed to be done as part of the job, in his opinion. The beetle has 220K.

Is replacing the slave cylinder a common wear item that's replaced with a new clutch? I've never heard of that before and can't seem to figure out how to put those terms together in a viable search of the forums here about that specific issue.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I have had some mechanics suggest it when buying a clutch kit. The con of not doing it with a new clutch is if it goes, it could spray fluid all over the new clutch and parts, and the clutch disc would need to be replaced again as it would ruin it. I did not replace mine at 430,000 kms when I did mine, approaching 520,000 now.

My wifes car did need a slave cylinder at 440,000 when I replaced her clutch, her's was cracked and leaking (maybe from the removal/install of the trans).

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i know they do fail but i have not personally seen one go after nearly a decade of messing with these cars .... the reason they are so good is they have a stainless steel bore liner inside the plastic housing ... so wear is minimal due to the hardness of SS and it does not corrode or pit like a steel/iron slave