Is there a generation or year to avoid?

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
Hello everyone, I've had ALH and BEW and the old mk2 1.6. In saying that if we are looking at newer variants of the vw diesel, are there certain years or engine codes to avoid? Thanks

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Depends on what you are looking for. I asked myself the same question about the newer models and decided to get into the latest year model/engine 2015.

The 2015 are SCR engines, meaning they do need DEF (urea) to function. Also, I read that the gen 3 common rail (CVCA, CRUA codes for N.A.) have new injectors with lower rail pressure, among other differences.

Remaining dieselgate warranty was also a factor for me, as I don't want a big ticket item failing (HPFP, DPF for example) too soon.

...get reading.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yes.
Avoid anything under your budget. Spend the most you can afford. Buy the nicest newest thing you can get for your $.
Used market for Lowe tier sub 4 grand is the way it always will. Low miles within the last 7 years ... you are going to pay near MSRP if you can find one. Safety standards and tech are lightyears past what it was even 5 years ago.
If your under 5 grand... then just buy what you can find and spend the $ on maintenance. Otherwise payup for the newest you can get.
Times have changed.

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
Avoid any tdi with a balance module. Until you delete it ,its a ticking timebomb. BHW I believe. Newer vehicles have more complicated emissions equipment that makes them less reliable compared to earlier models but that can be solved easily.
Passat CRs tend to have weak turbos even on stock software. I have a CJAA engined golf and Jetta, both seem to be pretty much problem free except my jetta seems to repeatedly leak oil in very cold weather.
Every model has its issues but most have some type of work around or fix

what years were the cjaa? thx

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
At some point in the future, all of us TDI owners of this vintage have to face the music: do I want to start paying for a DPF replacement out of warranty?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Each model had it's strong points and weak points. Personally, I like the ve pump engines and pd engines better than the common rail. I have several bhws, and their balance shafts have been converted or deleted and now they're great engines. The common rail engines had issues with the cp4 pumps and emissions systems, the 2015's are arguably the better of the common rail cars, though they had the def in them as well.

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
"Greg, what is the worst fraternity on this campus?
Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way."

Just had to quote "Animal House" :)
Now you did it tactdi, we have to put you on Double Secret Probation !!!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Seems I've read the 2009 had some unique problems. Also heard the newer Dieselgate buy-backs ain't too bad at all, if they're not all rusty underneath (improper storage).
As with any used car, I'd recommend the newest you can afford. Not a great time to buy, the supply chain/chip shortage has resulted in a car shortage, late model used cars are up as much as 43%.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd wait at least a few months to buy if at all possible- these elevated prices can't last forever. Personally, I'd be looking at '11-'15 model year cars. Assuming you want to be driving the car more than working on it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I have three "extra" ALH engines! The two VE Jettas in our family are basically rust and dent free. The ALH in my 84 Vanagon is fine at about 208k. My son also has an 04 low miles he got for cheap. I did the first TB job on it in the summer of 2020. Unfortunately, he recently dozed off and side-swiped a guardrail. Besides body damage, there is obviously damage to the front sub-frame. It is worth fixing!

As for me, at my age, these ALHs will carry me on!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Unrelated post here: A beautiful woman walks into a bar, looks around and walks up to a man at the bar, and says, " For $100 I will do whatever you want, you can only use three words," the man says, "Paint my house."

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
A Rabbi, a Priest and a TDI mechanic walk into a bar...

See, this stuff just writes itself... LOL

I think I will need one more ALH to see me to the end of my driving career. Maybe two. Currently researching the mothballing ways and means.

If about a dozen old men, and a couple kids can un-mothball the Missouri and kick some alien butt, an ALH should be simple.
cheers,
Douglas

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Unless my Jetta gets horrifically damaged, my plan is to drive it until I am no longer able.
I don't know how many other Men have Wives that don't get the TDI love thing.
At least now my Wife doesn't say every time I spend a few dollars on my TDI, "You need to buy something else..." to which I reply, "Divide that $$ by 12 and tell me what (new) car I could have for a monthly payment like that?" And then I change the subject.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Unless my Jetta gets horrifically damaged, my plan is to drive it until I am no longer able.
I don't know how many other Men have Wives that don't get the TDI love thing.
At least now my Wife doesn't say every time I spend a few dollars on my TDI, "You need to buy something else..." to which I reply, "Divide that $$ by 12 and tell me what (new) car I could have for a monthly payment like that?" And then I change the subject.
Lol I have one of those wives too 🤣🤣🤣
All my kids have MKIV’s and are of them same opinion.🤣🤣

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
New unrelated post: If Harry Potter was diagnosed with HPV, what would they name the film?
" Harry Potter and the Deathly Swallows."
One of my favorite Hot Rod shirts says, "Injection is nice but I would rather be blown."

Last edited: