Is there a benifit to a 2009 over 2006?

Andrewh

Veteran Member
Based on what I can sell my 2006 for and what I can buy a 2009 for, it is almost a wash in cost.

But I don't see anything better about the 2009 to trade on except it is a new car.

Just curious on opinions. I'd like to think all the bugs are worked out of my 2006 and I am just asking for new ones with the 2009.
Plus it seems to be missing a few things. Or is it just me?
CAn't even get the power memory seats now.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They have been decontented alot from 2006. The only real difference is the engine and the manual 6 speed. Pretty much everything else is the same or less.

If your 2006 is completely paid for and it is an even trade for the 2009, go for it. If you have a loan on the 2006 that isn't paid, keep it. No use going into a new loan just to get the 2009.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
2009: You'll never have to worry about which oil was used by the knumb-knutz owner of the car who "knows" more than the vehicle mfr :)

I'd never consider a used PD car unless the owner could document every single oil change. It's just another outstanding liability...kinda like the VW auto trans.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
FWIW, I was leaning towards a new 09 DSG but changed my mind and decided to keep my 5-speed 2006 for as long as it will last. I think the manual trans is best suited for longevity but aside from that, my 06 is an early build and has allot of 'content' compared to the 09. I also know my car's bugs and have addressed them and financially it does not make any sense to 'downgrade' to an 09. Nothing against the 09's, great cars in their own right, just not compared to an 06 pk2.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
I was looking at this as well, and from what I can tell, if you are still in a loan on the 2006, and going to trade, the dealer is gonna get the better deal, not you.

2009, the good, More HP (140vs 100), More Torque (236 vs 176), a quieter running engine, and for the mechanically included the CR vs. PD some will say may be a lighter maint issue.

2009, the bad, unless you have a Loyal edition, here is what you will miss via decontenting: no 2nd 12V DC outlet in the console, only 1. MFD, only gives you 1 trip, not 2. Battery box cover... while this may be neglible, I think the paper/tar paper cover looks nasty compared to the plastic cover.

I have the special edition, so I got the rubber monster mats and the rear lip spoiler.

the 2009, moves the iPOD/mp3 jack (not ipod connector) to the center console which is much better than the glove box.

For what the dealers are asking I would keep the 2006 and throw some money at tinting and maybe an RC tune to get it to be comparable.

If what everyone is saying is true, yea, I have a PD, but I maintain my oil.
Enjoy,
John.

P.S. I almost forgot, I think the 2006 Special Edition, you get the premium sound system, which has the additional amp.
Talking to dealers they can't tell you if the amp comes with it or not... and oh yea, you don't get the fold flat front seat, if that matters to you.

Last edited:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
'09 is common rail. It has all the exhaust system stuff (particulate filters, NOx traps, etc).

'06 is PD. It doesn't have the exhaust treatment stuff.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
The 09 has a suspension upgrade that makes the 06 feel like your driving a 1978 Rabbit.

I was really surprised, I've taken the same on ramp in my 2006 and it squeeled and didn't make me feel safe, the 09 in the same 15mph sharp on ramp handled fine between 45-50mph, third gear, traction control turned on. It just gripped and went.

I was sold on that alone, but I can just upgrade my suspension in the 06.

09's also get a $1300 tax credit if bought new. 06's don't. 06's also won't be considered for emissions testing likely ever, 09's likely will.

Andrewh

Veteran Member
Its paid for, so that is not an issue.
But the more I read, the less the 09 has to offer it seems.
Thanks for the opinions.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
I drove the 09 demo and didn't notice any suspension difference. Quiter maybe but I can still hear that's it a diesel. Also despite the tax incentive I read here that all 09's are pretty much selling at MSRP or more so the impact of the incentive is not realized. Back when 06's were available they could be had for a few hundred over invoice. Again not trying to rip the 09's but compared to my 06 pk2 I'd be sacrificing content for a newer car and that dosen't make sense to me. Talking sedans here, the wagon is a huge bonus for some.

Last edited:

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be interested if anyone can help make a complete content list for the 06 vs. 09

for starters, things my 06 has that are not available on an 09 from the factory;

-leather
-climatronic
-trunk storage side compartments
-plastic battery housing
-the all important chrome e-brake button & glove box latch
-fold-flat passenger seat
-more capable MFD: 2 trips, convenience features (e.g. disable alarm honk from menu)
-auto-dimming mirror (for very early 06's)

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I would be afraid that the 2009 would be subject to emissions testing as well and could have a lot of new things that can fail and be expensive to fix.

QUESTION: I thought emissions systems were always to be warrantied in the US for up to 100,000 miles, at least on Gas, is that not true on Diesels?

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have a Loyal Edition?

I have found that some do and some don't... damned if the dealers can tell you if it has that feature.

I think a lot others have brought up the stereo/amp issue.
John.

jdbfreeheel

TDI
2009 JSW (very soon)
ErikR said:
I'd be interested if anyone can help make a complete content list for the 06 vs. 09

for starters, things my 06 has that are not available on an 09 from the factory;

-leather
-climatronic
-plastic battery housing
-more capable MFD: 2 trips, convenience features (e.g. disable alarm honk from menu)
Just an FYI...

The 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDIs have the more capable MFD. I'm not sure about the 2 trips, but I think it has that. I've disabled the alarm honk on my 2009 JSW TDI. Did it the first day I owned it; couldn't stand the honk when getting home.

To me the leather isn't much of an issue. I thought it was going to bug me; I came from a 2008 Toyota Highlander with good (but not great) leather seating. The faux leather V-tex in the 2009 is nice. I think it might even hold up better than the actual leather, but that's just speculation on my part.

I wish I had the climatronic and the auto-dimming mirror. Those are the two things I miss from previous cars.

Your call on changing from 2006 to the 2009. If I were you, I'd probably wait a year, just to see if there are more luxury-features added...though my hunch is that they'll keep the Jetta TDIs de-contented so that they don't compete against the upcoming Audi TDIs.

-Josh

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
IMHO, the only reason to trade your 06 for an 09 is if you want a sportwagen.

I like having a 50k mile warranty and no first year engine problems.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
My '09 Loyal Edition has a fold-flat passenger seat, and the MFD has convenience features such as honk-off. I'm very impressed by the suspension (but I can't compare it to an '06, having never driven one). The extra power is a big plus, in my book; this car has guts!

If I owned an '06 in great condition I'm sure I'd keep it...I basically drive a car till it collapses around me...it's paid for. But I don't own one, and I wanted a TDI, and I was unwilling to pay the going price for a used one...a used car, no matter how good, is still a used car, and I prefer to buy new. That is to say, a big advantage of the '09 is a fresh warranty!

I was one of the early complainers about the sound system. I don't know if my ears have simply adapted, or what, but I'm now quite pleased with the sound quality. Go figger. Maybe has something to do with activating Sirius recently and listening to it a lot...better signal, maybe?

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
ErikR said:

-leather
-climatronic
-plastic battery housing
I actually prefer the 'fake' leather in the '09. I can see it being a negative for some though.

I'd have loved to get climate control.

I wouldn't mind the storage compartments in the trunk (I think the demo had them, my non-loyalty does not).

I don't care at all about a plastic battery box...

I prefer the black e-brake and glove-box bits because my car is black/black.

I can't imagine using the fold-flat seat myself (I have a couple other cars and a truck), but I could see why somebody would want it.

My MFD has two trip meters. Actually, you can set three trip odometers. There's the one at the bottom, then the two that you get to by scrolling through the MFD. I use the main trip meter at the bottom for fuel economy calculations, the #1 automatically resets for trips (I think it's set to reset if the car hasn't been used for 2 hours) and I don't use the #2 at all, but that's what I'll use to keep track of miles on a cross-country drive or the like.

I am fairly certain I saw the option to disable the alarm honk while I was fiddling with the menus. I like the confirmation though, so I'll leave it on.

I would like an auto-dimming rearview. I'd have paid a couple hundred bucks for it had it been an option.

The advantages to the '09 are the buttery smooth engine with loads more power than the earlier cars, the smaller environmental impact, and the availability of the RNS-510 navigation system (Which has received high acclaim).

If I already had an '06 I wouldn't have purchased one. For us, we needed a 2nd TDI and the choice was between an '05.5/'06 and the '09. The engine, $1300 tax credit, and ability to be in control of the car's maintenance from day 1 all factored into my decision to go with the new one.

I don't think you can go wrong buying either one. They're all great cars.

jdbfreeheel

TDI
2009 JSW (very soon)
velociT said:
IMHO, the only reason to trade your 06 for an 09 is if you want a sportwagen.

I like having a 50k mile warranty and no first year engine problems.
Sorry to be a pain, but can we get over this...

This IS NOT a first year engine. It is only in its first year in the US. The current version has been built since 2007 for the European market. The new components are the emissions systems, which are, evolutionary changes from some of the systems used over the past 5 years in Europe along with some new systems (particulate filter) which has been developed jointly by Mercedes, BMW and VW (both the Urea-based system, which is not used on the VW, and the particulate filter, which is).

As for the warranty, it's debatable. Yes, certainly 50K is better than 36K. But, maintenance included for 36K is certainly nice too.

-Josh

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
jdbfreeheel said:
Sorry to be a pain, but can we get over this...

This IS NOT a first year engine. It is only in its first year in the US. The current version has been built since 2007 for the European market. The new components are the emissions systems, which are, evolutionary changes from some of the systems used over the past 5 years in Europe along with some new systems (particulate filter) which has been developed jointly by Mercedes, BMW and VW (both the Urea-based system, which is not used on the VW, and the particulate filter, which is).

As for the warranty, it's debatable. Yes, certainly 50K is better than 36K. But, maintenance included for 36K is certainly nice too.

-Josh
I had a first year vehicle once, never again. Thats where that comes from.

Isnt the emissions system on a 2.0 a first year thing?

Also remember, those wonderful :rolleyes: VW techs have never seen it before. It's a first year thing to them.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
jdbfreeheel said:
This IS NOT a first year engine. It is only in its first year in the US. The current version has been built since 2007 for the European market.
This is A FIRST YEAR engine. There was NO 2.0L common rail before. There was NO so advanced exhaust system. Even in EU.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I have Auto-wipe wipers as well..

I have auto-head lights on.....

And a auto-dimming rear view mirror....

I have more power and better fuel economy.

Better handling...

jdbfreeheel

TDI
2009 JSW (very soon)
maloosheck said:
This is A FIRST YEAR engine. There was NO 2.0L common rail before. There was NO so advanced exhaust system. Even in EU.
Sorry, I disagree and stand by my point.

The engine, as I've said in this thread and in others, is very similar, if not nearly the same as the engine used in Europe. As I also said, in this thread and others, is that, yes, the particulate filter is new, though not untested. It's a system that most diesels are going to, and is being used, in part or in whole, by other manufacturers such as MB and BMW. My guess is that Subaru and Honda will use a similar system when they release their oil-burners next model year.

So, to prove my point and not just make this a pissing match;

http://tinyurl.com/6kupxx

"What Volkswagen has done to make the Jetta TDI 50-state legal (completely compliant with Tier 2 Bin 5) is quite impressive. The engine is an entirely new development in contrast to the old 1.9 PD-style diesel, that used a single fuel injector per cylinder. Instead, the engine is based around newer common-rail technology that uses a single injector for all cylinders that is capable of delivering fuelto the engine at much higher pressures. This alone is responsible for improving the combustion of the engine, making it smoother, quieter, more powerful and cleaner than traditional diesel engines. This isn't really anything new, as Volkswagen has been offering a common-rail TDI engine in European-market cars for years now, including the European Mk.V Jetta.

In fact, the engine, in its base form, is pretty much identical to the 2.0-liter TDI engine sold in Europe. It produces similar – not identical – amounts of power and torque to its overseas cousin. Our model makes 140 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque, versus their 138 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. The key difference is its particulate filter. It's similar to the type of system fitted to cars in Europe, but is even more effective at ridding the exhaust of NOx particles, the ones that have been causing so many difficulties for automakers and so much offense to lawmakers. In addition, the engine features various other tweaks to help it meet our emissions standards, which, by the way are now stricter than those in Europe. Despite the whole “Clean Diesel” adage, there isn't any fancy after-treatment system like Bluetecfor a couple of reasons; first, Volkswagen didn't want to equip the car with something that required maintenance, and second, the engine didn't need it."

Bold text my emphasis, not the original author's.

-Josh

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
jdbfreeheel said:
Sorry, I disagree and stand by my point.

The engine, as I've said in this thread and in others, is very similar, if not nearly the same as the engine used in Europe. As I also said, in this thread and others, is that, yes, the particulate filter is new, though not untested. It's a system that most diesels are going to, and is being used, in part or in whole, by other manufacturers such as MB and BMW. My guess is that Subaru and Honda will use a similar system when they release their oil-burners next model year.

So, to prove my point and not just make this a pissing match;

http://tinyurl.com/6kupxx

"What Volkswagen has done to make the Jetta TDI 50-state legal (completely compliant with Tier 2 Bin 5) is quite impressive. The engine is an entirely new development in contrast to the old 1.9 PD-style diesel, that used a single fuel injector per cylinder. Instead, the engine is based around newer common-rail technology that uses a single injector for all cylinders that is capable of delivering fuelto the engine at much higher pressures. This alone is responsible for improving the combustion of the engine, making it smoother, quieter, more powerful and cleaner than traditional diesel engines. This isn't really anything new, as Volkswagen has been offering a common-rail TDI engine in European-market cars for years now, including the European Mk.V Jetta.

In fact, the engine, in its base form, is pretty much identical to the 2.0-liter TDI engine sold in Europe. It produces similar – not identical – amounts of power and torque to its overseas cousin. Our model makes 140 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque, versus their 138 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque. The key difference is its particulate filter. It's similar to the type of system fitted to cars in Europe, but is even more effective at ridding the exhaust of NOx particles, the ones that have been causing so many difficulties for automakers and so much offense to lawmakers. In addition, the engine features various other tweaks to help it meet our emissions standards, which, by the way are now stricter than those in Europe. Despite the whole “Clean Diesel” adage, there isn't any fancy after-treatment system like Bluetecfor a couple of reasons; first, Volkswagen didn't want to equip the car with something that required maintenance, and second, the engine didn't need it."

Bold text my emphasis, not the original author's.

-Josh
WRONG!!!!! It most certainly does not use a single injector to supply all cylinders. A common rail system uses a high pressure supply pump to a single distribution manifold or 'fuel rail' but still has an injector for every cylinder attached to the fuel supply or 'common rail'. The injectors are fired electronically via solenoid action or piezo-electric actuation. These injectors have the potential capability of firing up to 5 times of varying duration during one injection cycle rather than once for conventional injection. This feature provides for more control over the injection and the combustion process providing a cleaner burn and has the added capability of injecting into the exhaust stroke putting combustible fuel into the exhaust to raise the DPF core temperature high enough to burn off soot trapped in its core.

jdbfreeheel

TDI
2009 JSW (very soon)
icecap said:
WRONG!!!!! It most certainly does not use a single injector to supply all cylinders. A common rail system uses a high pressure supply pump to a single distribution manifold or 'fuel rail' but still has an injector for every cylinder attached to the fuel supply or 'common rail'. The injectors are fired electronically via solenoid action or piezo-electric actuation. These injectors have the potential capability of firing up to 5 times of varying duration during one injection cycle rather than once for conventional injection. This feature provides for more control over the injection and the combustion process providing a cleaner burn and has the added capability of injecting into the exhaust stroke putting combustible fuel into the exhaust to raise the DPF core temperature high enough to burn off soot trapped in its core.
Yes, you are right. I think the author mis-speaks in an attempt to use more pedestrian language. The intended idea is the same...the common rail is the "single injector" they are referring to, is my guess. The idea being, as you state, that the rail is supplying the high pressure to the solenoid-controlled valves rather than mechanical valves.

I still stand by my point that this engine is not a first year product as argued by the previous poster.

-Josh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
jdbfreeheel said:
Yes, you are right. I think the author mis-speaks in an attempt to use more pedestrian language. The intended idea is the same...the common rail is the "single injector" they are referring to, is my guess. The idea being, as you state, that the rail is supplying the high pressure to the solenoid-controlled valves rather than mechanical valves.

I still stand by my point that this engine is not a first year product as argued by the previous poster.

-Josh
I believe the article is in error. The 2.0 liter diesel on sale in Europe through 2008 was a Pump Duse, not a common rail engine.

EDIT: In fact the article is so wrong it's half right. The Euro Golfs and Variants had an optional 2.0 PD engine through 2008. The 2008 Audi A4 and Tiguan have a Euro 5 compliant 2.0 CR engine. It was this engine that VW tweaked for the US market.

http://www.atzonline.com/index.php;...621820048d09ead1fbe2719384138/alloc=3/id=7549

It sounds like the engine and particulate filter are indeed on their second year of production. The NOx trap and H2S catalyst are new developments specific to the US market.

I may have to spend the money to get a copy of this article.

So in short

Body - 6th year, Sportwagen 2nd year
Engine - 2nd year
Particulate filter - 2nd year?
NOx and H2S - 1st year.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
Josh, I believe you tripped, you have good intentions though..

A common rail have a hi-pressure pump to get up to injection pressures and the ECM fires the injector(supplies the timing).

A unit injection(PD) intensifies the fuel pressure inside the injector in the barrel and plunger. the injector also recieves the signal from the ECM to time the injection event..

Now as for multiple injects..The unit injection can/does this...up to a certain extant, not quite the versitility of the common rail, BUT VERY easily can handle 3-4 pilot shots and post injection sequences.

The PD injectors are far more sofisticated then the dumb common rail injectors..

Also and this is what everyone doesn't understand..So I will let the cat out of the bag...

CR does not like viscious fluids..It does not have a easy time compressing fluids...This is why they dont want you to run more then a 5% BIO ratio. its very hard on the rail and pump..Basic hydraulics 101..

The unit injection can tolerate the pressures better in the injector(since its locallized)..

The injection pressures are limited to the injector only..as with the CR they are not localized, are spread out all over the place..High Fuel pump, lines, rail, Injector lines, injectors...

ALL OVER THE place...30000PSI..Could even be considered hazardous..

So much for the diesel fuel injection 101...

jdbfreeheel

TDI
2009 JSW (very soon)
Mach1 said:
Josh, I believe you tripped, you have good intentions though...

So much for the diesel fuel injection 101...
Hi Mach 1,

Thanks. I actually understand the mechanical info quite well. My point was more that I think the author of the article I referenced didn't explain the CMD system the right way and, I assume, in the attempt to explain it 'easily' to the reader-base actually flubbed the explanation.

In any event, as has been referenced by my and others, the engine technology is not brand new (though certainly is newer compared to the PD systems, etc). The CMD design, most of which was championed by Bosch and affiliates is now being used by a number of applications (in different engine sizes) around the globe, though mostly in European-designed systems (given that Bosch is European and has more access to the supply chain and design departments of Euro car manufacturers).

My ultimate point, which I think can be supported, is that the CMD engine design being used in the US Jetta TDI is not brand new and has been developed over the last few years, including being used recently by VW (actually Audi) in Europe. Is this a newer engine? Yes. There's probably on a year or less of actual use in vehicles driving on streets, with probably 4-6 years of development/testing through Bosch and its partners.

I just don't want people to be scared away of the US-spec'ed TDI because the engine is considered an untested, unsupported application. Sure, it newer than the original design of the Internal Combustion Engine, but frankly modern car companies have been tweaking that design over time too; sometimes with great gains and sometimes with problem-laden designs.

Ok, sorry to diverge us from the main topic of the OP. I think the pro/con sheet between the 2006 TDI and the 2009 TDI will ultimately be very specific to actual users. I can't think that if I had a 2006, I would switch, immediately, to the 2009. At the same time, as a 2009 owner, I think it's a great car and wouldn't deter anyone from testing it and considering it for purchase.

-Josh

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
JOSH, unit injection does quite well and has several advantages over a Common Rail Diesel. each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I have worked on both and I actully prefer the unit injection.

Fuel quality is a huge consideration in the different fuel systems.