Is my J519 bad?

vwtdtech5052

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 PASSAT 4 MOTION 2004 BMW 330I ZHP 1984 BMW 325E RACE CAR
check the 30 amp fuse in the back of the e box/fuse panel (SB) the contacts in the fuse box get hot and melt. will need fuse block, very easy to replace and is a common issue i ve seen before. hope that info helps

OhioHammer

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Right Side Lights Not Working - FIXED!

Thanks for your suggestion, frymoyer14. I replaced my F16 fuse under the hood and now my RHS lights are working. Problem solved - thanks frymoyer14 for your email.

While diagnosing my issue, I visually inspected all fuses by looking at the upside down "U" in the fuse "window". Apparently that's not good enough. My F16 fuse had a fried blade that I could not see unless I removed the fuse.
I probably would have pulled the fuse to inspect it closer but the description in the Bentley manual said F16 was the "ABS Control Module" so I didn't even bother beyond a visual inspection.

vwtdtech5052 - thanks for your post as well. Your suggestion corroborates frymoyer14's email earlier in the day. Thanks.

Freakinmacguyver

TDI
09 TDI Jetta Laser Blue
Same Problem, Fixed too

On my 09 Jetta, both passenger high and low beams were out but the city light was good. The driver side headlights were good, but the city light was out. The front right turn signal was out. In the rear, the running lights were on, but the incorrect ones were on, and only the 3rd brake light worked. No turn signals. Inside, the footwell lights didn't work and the right turn signal was fast. The bulb indicator on the dash only said passenger side high and low beam out. Nothing about anything else.
It all started in october. I had a headlight go out so I replaced both low beams with Silverstars. A few weeks later I went out of the country for a month and loaned my car to a friend. When I got back he said one of the headlights went out so went ahead and replaced both for me. I thought it was odd that it went out that quick. Just the other day I noticed the right side out again and thought "I'm never buying Silverstars again if they only last a month....". So I look in the trunk and grab one of the good bulbs I had saved from before and put it in, it didn't work. I had also noticed that the footwell lights weren't working the night before when I had gone out to get something from the car. Up until this point I thought it was just the headlights until I realized the turn-signals didn't flash when I hit the key. That's when I found this thread.
Long story short I checked fuse F16, which appeared fine from above (I had checked all before). When I pulled it out, the passenger side blade was pitted and the socket was kinda melted. Quick fix, I just flipped the fuse around. I plan to open the box up and make sure the contacts are tight and put a new fuse in.
Has anyone else who has had this problem recently put in different bulbs? The Silverstars say they are 55 watts, I'm not sure what the factory bulbs are. If the 30 amp fuse didn't pop, that probably means less than 30 amps was going thru it. So why would this contact be prone to melting and corroding? Loose connection would be my guess. Odd that this one connection seems to be loose in at least several cars...
I stopped by the dealer and they had no clue. Glad I didn't pay the $230 they wanted to LOOK at it.

ArktinenJenkki

TDI
None, '09 Jetta, lighting/electrical problems
2009 Jetta with RHS Lights Problem

Hello,

I bought an American spec 2009 Jetta in Germany in 2009 while I was in the Air Force. In May 2012, my right hand side lights, with the exception of the turn signal on the mirror, went out. I made an appointment with VW for the next day but the lights were working fine when I got in the car to drive there.

A couple days later, the same problem occurred and VW changed my control module (3C8-937-049-AC). Fortunately, even though the car was just out of warranty, I threatened to cancel an Audi purchase for my wife and VW America paid 90% of those costs.

Everything returned to working order. I separated from the Air Force less than two weeks ago and moved to Finland. I got in my car this past Saturday night and, voila.... all the lights on the right hand side were out as before. As in May, they suddenly resumed working the next day.

I knew the chances of two control modules being bad were pretty slim, so I began researching and found this thread. I checked the F16 fuse and, sure enough, one side was burnt/melted. The fuse box, specifically the left (if facing engine) terminal receptor for the F16 fuse, is slightly melted as well. As far as I can tell, it hasn't affected the fuse box beyond this little scarring, yet. I replaced the burnt fuse and everything is working fine.

I spoke with the VW dealership in Italy that changed the control module and they said that they did not change this F16 fuse in May 2012. I'm a bit confused as to why swapping the control module fixed that issue for the past year when this is clearly the problem.

Regardless, after reading some more threads, it seems as though the problem with the melting fuse/box is the cable connecting the alternator to the fuse box.

Can someone please give me some suggestions on what I should do at this point? I definitely think I need to swap that cable, but should I use an OEM cable if this is where the problem lies to begin with? Because I am in Finland, I think I might ask if they can place the cable for the Euro-spec Jetta on my car if it's the same length. Also, is a VW cable even necessary. I seems as though if the resistance and size is good, any cable would work. Am I mistaken in that assumption?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, because my car is US-spec and was assembled in Mexico, that factory used some crappy supplier for the alternator/fuse box cable. As far as I can tell from the research I've done, this issue seems to be relegated to US-spec VWs.

Any suggestions or comments?

Also, I'll try to remember to take some photos of the box and fuse and post them here.

Thanks,
Jason
Tampere, Finland

Last edited:

mikealsin

TDI
2011 Sportwagen manual
Thanks to this post, my mechanic friend and I saved a lot of time. Same fix (fuse 16), same issue ("looked like it had a slow cooking ... not sure what baked the fuse")

Short story: Monday on the way to work all was fine. Leaving in the afternoon my display showed the following lights out by the time I left the parking lot:

Left: front side, rear turn
Right: headlight, DRL, front turn, rear tail
License plate lights
Brake lights unknown.

So the question remains: what is causing this fuse to "bake"? Faulty metal in the fuse blades? faulty metal in the fuse holder? too much current (but that should blow the fuse)?

Email from my ASE Master friend that fixed the issue:
"So to follow up on this. If you look at the fuse it appears to be “cooked” on one side. This would indicate heat on only one side of the fuse. I think we can agree this is not a fuse issue, but a wiring or supply issue. With the knowledge that when you try and run to many amps through too small a wire it creates excess heat I would venture that VW put too small a wire on one side of fuse 16.
The fuse block is in the engine compartment in fr of the brake booster. The 16 fuse is towards the back of the block and the burnt side was towards the passenger side of the car. I am not sure how worried I would get about this, but simply put a few 30amp fuses in the glove box. Ya there is an issue there, but the first one lasted 39k……"

Last edited:

CornfieldCraig

TDI
09 Jetta 6-spd manual
VW is repairing the fuse panels for free as of 5/6/2014. I had previously replaced this fuse twice and was expecting that I'd eventually have to replace the fuse box or some component of it, but when I brought my 2009 Jetta in for an oil change yesterday, I was told that there were a couple open service action items (sorry, I don't know the official term), including one regarding the fuse box. Having last replaced that fuse only a month ago, I was afraid they wouldn't detect the problem, but they noted the damage to the board itself and replaced it for free. It is well out of warranty now, by the way. 90k miles.

mhx

TDI
none
VW is repairing the fuse panels for free as of 5/6/2014. I had previously replaced this fuse twice and was expecting that I'd eventually have to replace the fuse box or some component of it, but when I brought my 2009 Jetta in for an oil change yesterday, I was told that there were a couple open service action items (sorry, I don't know the official term), including one regarding the fuse box. Having last replaced that fuse only a month ago, I was afraid they wouldn't detect the problem, but they noted the damage to the board itself and replaced it for free. It is well out of warranty now, by the way. 90k miles.

Do you have your receipt, mind sharing what the TSB codes were or the service bulletin? I too just had this problem in my 2010 w/ 60k out of warranty.

Seems like a safety issue at best.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
another one..... few days ago wife complained the turn signals flashing fast, both ways. I checked it was working fine at home in garage. days later did it again but also getting 7 warnings... RF turn, LR turn, LR brake, 3rd brake, R low beam, R high beam, lic plate light.

I always tell myself "simple stuff first stupid" so changed the 2 turn signal bulbs as I had them in garage. No help. disconnect battery for several minutes then touch cables to reset modules, no help. Time for TDICLUB!!!!!

I had gotten the paperwork for the recall about a month ago and seeing the talk here as to what it was effecting, checked the 30amp fuse. I found mine just like the picture in this thread and re-installed the fuse now everything works good. will have to call for an apt Tuesday for the recall.

Hope they have the parts in stock, have a trip to San Diego planned. Going to the Seahawks game Sep 14.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
just got my car back from the dealership, Findlay VW, who did the 97AM recall on the under hood fuse panel. It was ready 3 hours after dropping it off. They changed the fuse and plate.

only real complaint about the job is they let one of the elec cables on side of box turn as it was tightened. It was almost touching the cable next to it and was out of the plastic holder that separates the cables. Only took me a few minutes to fix. I don't get upset about things like that because as a mechanic, can't say I have never made a mistake.

As I went to pull out of lot the car went klunk and scraaaaaape as it came off curb they parked it on top of. and the wash job that they brag about doing to every car had windows streaked and still had bugs covering the front of car. But that's nothing that my wife or myself haven't done worse.

will have to wait and see if it happens again in another 107,000 miles. I would rate them as satisfactory but nothing more. At least they didn't push to try and upsell me on services while my car was there.

scottp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf SportWagon (canadian car)
Just for the future searchers sake.... My 2010 JSW MK6 had a rear left turn, front left marker, Front right Headlight (both beams) and front right turn out and it was a partially burned/melted F16 fuse. Thanks for all the help it only took me 2 minutes to fix because I knew what to look for. Thanks!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
only 2 minutes to fix temporarily by replacing fuse. the fuse plate under the fuse is melted also. I assume you are bringing it in for the recall. but if they don't see the melted fuse the dealer may assume your plate is OK. there is a loose connection on the plate causing arcing and heat.

deltadawn1964

TDI
Jetta
J519 issue on 2012 Jetta tdi

I keep blowing fuses for the onboard supply control unit (j519). When this happens I have no turn signals hazards break or reverse lights. Can you tell me what the issue could be so if I have to take it to a dealer I have an idea what I am talking about. I tried looking for its location but can't find it. I would be willing to do the work myself just not having any luck finding its location. Thanks

Last edited:

nblaylock

TDI
2010 Jetta
Need help with J519 problem

Last night a bunch of my lights stopped working, over have. We have figured out is either the J519, one of the relays, or the contacts. Does anyone know which relay controls what for the Jetta 2010 TDI? Also where can I find a video to show me how to remove the kickpanel? Will scan it latter today. We suspect that massive amounts of rain (over 15 inches) last week my of got into the area and hopefully cleaning the contacts will fix it.:eek:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Last night a bunch of my lights stopped working, over have. We have figured out is either the J519, one of the relays, or the contacts. Does anyone know which relay controls what for the Jetta 2010 TDI? Also where can I find a video to show me how to remove the kickpanel? Will scan it latter today. We suspect that massive amounts of rain (over 15 inches) last week my of got into the area and hopefully cleaning the contacts will fix it.:eek:
did you check the green 30 amp F16 fuse, under the hood in the eng electrical box? don't just look at fuse, pull it out and look for it being burned but not blown. the panel it connects to may have a loose crimp or fork causing arcing and heat that melts the fuse but doesn't blow it. the arcing and burning causes high resistance. this fuse is for the module that controls the lights. VW has a service campaign to replace this fuse panel if it is arcing. called campaign 97AM. guess they didn't want it to become an official recall.

nblaylock

TDI
2010 Jetta
Thank You, very much. Problem now fixed (at least until I get the box replaced). The labels were different numbers so I just checked every 30 amp until I found it. Now to get some extra fuses until I get the box fixed.

KellysJetta

TDI
Not a tdi
Same issue with melted F16 fuse

Thank you to all that posted in this thread! I just saved a good amount of money by looking into this issue with my lights. I am not a mechanic or anything close.

My front right side and the rear left side lights and blinkers would work intermittently on my 2010 Jetta. I took my car to my VW mechanic (not the dealership) and he said 9 errors came up when he scanned the car. He looked at the fuses and the bulbs etc and said they are all fine and he couldn’t find the issue. I’m scheduled to bring the car in tomorrow so he can look through the wiring to see if anything is broken. I’m soooo glad I finally found this thread with suggestions that I could actually attempt because I pulled the F16 fuse under the hood and sure enough it’s melted! I’ll put in a new fuse and call VW to see if they’ll honor the 97AM service action and replace the panel for me at no cost. Will post with an update. Thanks again!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Add another to the list. Random lights not working all around the car. Pulled fuse 16 (30amp, closest to the driver) and found evidence of arcing and corrosion. Replaced fuse and all is working again. Thanks everyone!