Is my alternator junk? One way bearing failure.

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
Started my BRM Jetta after work Friday night and made it to the street when suddenly lots of noise and a burning smell. Parked the car and found metal shavings all around the alternator pulley, and could visibly see the pulley was not sitting square on the shaft. Went back later with a car trailer. Pulled the serpentine belt and the pulley came off in my hand. :eek:

Alternator was working fine to the best of my knowledge and was noise free until that time.

Is my shaft too wasted to re-use?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
No, the center collar is still attached to the shaft since the pulley separated. I caught one just prior to failure once due to the alternator making a noise.

Just remove the piece that is left on the shaft and reinstall another one.

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
No, the center collar is still attached to the shaft since the pulley separated. I caught one just prior to failure once due to the alternator making a noise.

Just remove the piece that is left on the shaft and reinstall another one.
Good eye. I thought it was only the scarred shaft remaining, but I think you're right, there is a very thin collar still on the shaft.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Thanks all. I checked with a local alternator / starter repair shop and they had the new INA pulley in stock - $53 installed.

That's a great price installed, I don't believe any vendor has just the pulley for less. Just make sure it's the right pulley before you put the alternator back on. These are clutched pulleys, block the fins in the alt body with a small screwdriver or dowel and make sure you can turn the pulley only one way and not the other with your hand. If that works then great find at that price.

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
Yeah it's the correct clutched pulley - made by INA. They actually had several of them sitting on the counter in the office as well in various states of failure.