Is it worth boring out an TDI engine??

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I know on the Gasser side of the would they are taking the 1.9 ALH blocks and boring/stroking them out to 2.2L safely with an 1.8T head ontop.. but is it worth boring and stroking out the 1.9 to an 2.2 or the 2.0 to an 2.3??? cause i know on an 1.8T the GT35r it is a lagger.. then when you stroke to an 2.0 its not really bad and when you go to an 2.2L its like running an GT28r on an 1.8t all over again....with the power of an GT35r....

The reason i ask is because people talk about the VNT22 being a lagger.. and what not on here.. if you stroked it out would it play the same pattern and make it spool like the VNT15....

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
trying to get info cause im wanting to build an ALH engine for my AUDI TT... since i found an TDI 6 speed 02m quattro tranny if things pan out right for a really good price.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I think the boys on the other side of the pond are more familiar with oversize pistons..... Hopefully one will chime in.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
hmmm. That depends grease, Can I borrow your computer? LOL. Whazzup!!!!!???

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
LOL. Thats been in my sig for like a month, and you two are the first to comment on it. I just got tired of folks pming me about borrowing my t-belt tools. If I loan them out, what am I supposed to use?:confused:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
oldpoopie said:
LOL. Thats been in my sig for like a month, and you two are the first to comment on it. I just got tired of folks pming me about borrowing my t-belt tools. If I loan them out, what am I supposed to use?:confused:
Maybe you should get into the tool rental business? I have all of the timing belt tools but nobody ever asks to borrow them.....I suppose that's a good thing :)

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
oldpoopie said:
But who are you gonna loan them to?
Justin, I would never loan out your tools to someone else. Oh wait, I think DOK wants to re-do his timing belt -- I think it has to do with his latest project -- two IPs on one engine. Naturally I told him I'd help -- do you have an extra pump pin I can borrow, too?

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
mrchaotica said:
Holy thread hijack, Batman!

I want to hear more about Storx's bored-out ALH 6-speed quattro TT build!
Storx is off-line right now, Justin is on-line -- Storx will never know, and anyway Justin will probably loan him any tools that he needs. Meanwhile, the thread will find its way right side up again soon, not to worry.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
LOL. Its not the everyday tools that I worry about. Its the EXPENSIVE special tools.... Like the coolant pressure tester I bought today with mk3 and mk4 adaptors... eeeek! $$$

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
come on over for halloween. I give out injection pump pins and security torx bits.... Funny though, the kids dont seem to be as happy about it as I'd expect..

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
gah.. woke up seen 2 pages listed of responses and after reading all these replys.. i feel HIJACKED!

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
reason i ask these questions is because i was watching a episode on tv were banks was building sidewinder project 2... and they took the engine apart and stuck lightened oversized pistons in it and forged crank and rods. Then they revved it out from 3700rpms to 5700rpms.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Id' certainly look into boring an engine, however you're looking at alot of money for custom pistons as available oversizes are typically only .25mm over. Stingray RT supposedly has a piston at 83mm but I havn't figured out how to get him to sell me any.

Although crankshafts are available to 100mm, I'd avoid using them as they are likely not up to snuff with regards to diesel use. Stick with a stock crankshaft. I've had a few inquires for custom crankshafts and they are $10,000 usd to whiddle one out of billet steel.

Although possible to stroke and bore a 1.9 tdi to 2.2 liters, I'd be surprised if the engine lasted any apprecaible length of time.

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
One of the little known performance gains from boring is unshrouding the inlet valves. "Offset boring" takes more material off one side of the bore than the other, increasing the clearance between the inlet valve and the cylinder wall.

On some engines (Big Block Chevy) unshrouding can be accomplished by using offset dowel pins under the head while other engines (Small Block Chevy) require that each cylinder be bored at an offset to achieve the same result.

The staggered valve layout of the TDI would require offset boring to get maximum valve clearance from boring.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
you have me confused.. how will the engine not hold up to the beef if people race the 2.2L with Big turbo's running 40+ psi of boost and getting multitude of passes off them with not problems?? and it wont work in our engine?? im confused the cylinder pressure isnt that much different once boost is applied that high in numbers...
Shoot i watched an race with an cummins diesel engine in a drag car that ran and they said they were running 105psi with butterflied heads... why cant we run similar numbers.. not exactly.. like 30-40psi with butterflied heads...

One of the things they swap out when they run ALH blocks are the cranks cause yes they are pretty strong but the ALH crank is a cast crank and the stock crank out of the AEG or what not is forged and much stronger..
im starting to wander if people on here are just scared to find out what can really be done with these engines??? cause about 5 years ago it was the same way on the DSM world with the EVO's.... 500+ hp was unheard.. then they started experimenting and next thing you know we have 7 second 1/4 mile EVO's that are running nearly full interior

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
plus i know in the racing world you can take plaster and make a mold of the cylinder for them to make pistons for you.. ive known people to do this.. and it wasnt all that expensive.. costing around 1k for 8 pistons.. for a chevy.. and around 800.00 dollars for 4 pistons on other vag cars in gassers.... I dont see how it would make that much of a difference in cost to get the stuff done.. i can understand the crank.. yes cause that is more work then making a set of pistons.. but man.. what is the big deal.. i know an guy right now who is running an GTI with an Audi TT rear section swap to make it AWD and running an ALH block 2.2L/1.8T ABE head with an GT35r pushing 29psi daily on 93 octane... with almost 10k on the motor to this day.. cause its his daily driven car...and his car dyno's with 771 hp... and 638tq with race fuel

Last edited:

boosted alh

TDI
alh
id say go for it since it doesnt look like anybody is going to convince you otherwise...

i plan on doing the same, minus the awd conversion, once i have more money

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Hey this sounds like fun! But why not go get a Passat 2.0l pd engine, install a forged crank, and rods, and call it a day? ;) I bet you can get 290whp out of a 2.0l pd...

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
ok here is a true..........2.0PD 16V engine block is almost the same like old 1.9PD 8V so you can put a 16V cylinder head to 8V block with new racing pistons......

I´m not familiar with gasoline as with diesel but diesel cylinder pressures are much more compare to gasoline......we run all season with forged pistons/forged rods/stock crank and everything works well for next season we prepare a new turbo and some cylinder head porting across valve pockets......we will see at least 650HP/1000Nm for new season..... Can somebody manage a SPEC clutch for me? Because twin plate SPEC can´t hold such power and need new triple plate.