Is it safe to put Stopleak in a MK6 TDI’s oil?

jetpackjbd

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI DSG
My 2011 Jetta TDI is leaking oil, and I don’t have the time or money to do a deep inspection on every gasket or pay someone else to do it. I know Stopleak isn’t a miracle cure but if there’s a chance I could reduce the car to 2 drops instead of 3 a week for only $6 that’s be nice.

My question is, are additives safe to use? Since VWs require special spec oil I’m not sure if changing the properties of the engine oil is going to cause more harm than good.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nope, bad idea. Plus the only stopleak product I know of is for cooling systems. And it makes a mess of those. 3 drops a week isn't so bad, anyhow. If it's leaking 3 qts a week, than yeah, you probably want to find out what's going on.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Nope, bad idea. Plus the only stopleak product I know of is for cooling systems. And it makes a mess of those. 3 drops a week isn't so bad, anyhow. If it's leaking 3 qts a week, than yeah, you probably want to find out what's going on.
Various manufacturers make different fluids with stop leak "protection". Oil for RMS, PS fluid, coolant, Trans seals ect.
Not on a TDI (nor would I on mine), but Ive used the stuff in coolant and for power steering both worked excellent. In my case the steering rack went out. PS fluid would leak the whole resivior in about a 8mile stretch. Filled it once drove about 8 miles and filled again as it ran out and it stopped leaking. 2 years later and it still hadn't dropped the resivior level.

jetpackjbd

TDI
Good to know, can’t use any other additives in the oil. I also forgot to mention that the belly pan was soaked in oil on the side that touches the engine, so I’m in a bit more of a dire situation than I made it out to be. I’ll stick with parking on cardboard for now then, thanks for the insight

Francobenz

TDI
Golf TDI 2003
For peace of mind, I would jack it up when you have a chance, maybe it’s only the intercooler hose seal leaking oil or it can be something more critical like the oil filter housing. I doubt any oil additive can fix, even temporary a leak

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Good to know, can’t use any other additives in the oil. I also forgot to mention that the belly pan was soaked in oil on the side that touches the engine, so I’m in a bit more of a dire situation than I made it out to be. I’ll stick with parking on cardboard for now then, thanks for the insight
A pan with cat litter in it works well for my on my 1935 Ford. It has a different kind of older rear main seal than modern models though.

jetpackjbd

TDI
For peace of mind, I would jack it up when you have a chance, maybe it’s only the intercooler hose seal leaking oil or it can be something more critical like the oil filter housing. I doubt any oil additive can fix, even temporary a leak
Yup, tried that yesterday without much luck. The oil pan seems to be covered the most but the entire underside has oil from what I can tell. It doesn’t appear to be from the oil filter from what I could see, although I wish it was since that’s in a fairly easy spot to replace. My unconfident guess is the sump gasket, but that’s a problem for another thread.
https://flic.kr/p/2pPxJM5

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Do you do your own oil changes? Do you use a new crush washer every time? Could be something really really simple.

jetpackjbd

TDI
Do you do your own oil changes? Do you use a new crush washer every time? Could be something really really simple.
I hope it’s something simple like that. I’ve only owned the car for 3 months and barely put a thousand miles on it, so I can’t answer to that. I do have some questions about when and where various bits have been serviced which I should probably contact the previous owner about at some point. I was unaware of the leak when buying it, and since it was parked on dirt most of its life I don’t think the previous owners knew either.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like it could very well just be from the plug. Get a new one and do an oil change. Who knows when it was last done or what oil they used. 507 spec motor oil.

jetpackjbd

TDI
Looks like it could very well just be from the plug. Get a new one and do an oil change. Who knows when it was last done or what oil they used. 507 spec motor oil.
I’ll have to check that. I’m not due to change the oil for another 2,000 miles so I’ll just suffer through it until then. Thanks for letting me know about that, checking the drain plug/washer completely slipped my mind

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh Dear Baby Jesus....
Hey now. I never said it was the correct fix but $15 in brake fluid vs. $150+ for a new steering rack was well worth it. For the coolant leaks I didn't care if it clogged anything, but I haven't had issues with either product. Coolant leak issue was a pin holed radiator. Stop leak worked great for the slow leak.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Coolant leak issue was a pin holed radiator. Stop leak worked great for the slow leak.
Top up coolant worked great for my slow radiator leak. Probably only added a gallon over 5 years, and I didn't have to flush crap out of the entire cooling system when I replaced the radiator - even reused the coolant :cool:

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
FWIW coolant stop-leak and oil stop-leak are entirely different ideas. Coolant stop-leak is nasty, problem causing, rad clogging crap. I wouldn't use it on anything I care about.
Now, I also don't use oil stop-leak on anything I care about, but it doesn't plug stuff up, it's just supposed to soften (and maybe swell) dried up seals and such.
Not recommending it for a TDI, just want to point out that "I've seen what stop-leak does to cooling systems" is not a valid argument here. 😂

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of the oil seal swelling stuff is more or less brake fluid. I would only use that stuff in a vehicle that's about to be put out to pasture.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Top up coolant worked great for my slow radiator leak. Probably only added a gallon over 5 years, and I didn't have to flush crap out of the entire cooling system when I replaced the radiator - even reused the coolant :cool:
I would do this if I cared about the car. This one leaked enough that I wouldn't want to do that. To much leakage.

FWIW coolant stop-leak and oil stop-leak are entirely different ideas. Coolant stop-leak is nasty, problem causing, rad clogging crap. I wouldn't use it on anything I care about.
Now, I also don't use oil stop-leak on anything I care about, but it doesn't plug stuff up, it's just supposed to soften (and maybe swell) dried up seals and such.
Not recommending it for a TDI, just want to point out that "I've seen what stop-leak does to cooling systems" is not a valid argument here. 😂
Trust me I know all of this. I just don't care to fix the issue the right way. So far not buying total garbage stop leak hasn't caused any issues. I also don't add a gallon or more like some people try. I'm not doing this to a car that's actually worth anything, or that I plan to keep for years of use. Same thing as using windshield washer fluid as coolant. Is it correct? No. Does it work? Absolutely. Is it cheaper? You bet ya!

Last edited:

jetpackjbd

TDI
Ok, revisiting this; would it be safe to put stop leak in for ~10 miles or so before an oil change? Would it be enough to see any positive or negative effects? I can’t imagine any damage occurring from using a little bit of non-507 liquid for ten miles, maybe clogging could be an issue?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, revisiting this; would it be safe to put stop leak in for ~10 miles or so before an oil change? Would it be enough to see any positive or negative effects? I can’t imagine any damage occurring from using a little bit of non-507 liquid for ten miles, maybe clogging could be an issue?
Maybe, the problem is that all it does is swell the seals a bit to attempt at stopping the leak. The seal is still bad, but temporarily it will hold oil. weather or not 10mi will achieve that I have no clue. The other side of that is if it does stop leaking in 10 or even 20 miles soon as you change the oil you lose the stopleak fluid so then it's only a matter of time before it starts to leak again. A few days, a week, a month? nobody knows.
Are you attempting for a temporary fix or are you trying to just get it to another location that's 10mi away?
If your only trying to drive it a distance just add a little extra oil and call it good.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Fix the problem not Band-Aid it. Stop leak may or may not stop the leak, it won't fix things. Running with it in there for 10 miles probably won't hurt anything but it won't fix anything either. If it works at all it will probably just delay leaking for a time when it isn't convenient for you to repair. Murphy works like that.

jetpackjbd

TDI
Maybe, the problem is that all it does is swell the seals a bit to attempt at stopping the leak. The seal is still bad, but temporarily it will hold oil. weather or not 10mi will achieve that I have no clue. The other side of that is if it does stop leaking in 10 or even 20 miles soon as you change the oil you lose the stopleak fluid so then it's only a matter of time before it starts to leak again. A few days, a week, a month? nobody knows.
Are you attempting for a temporary fix or are you trying to just get it to another location that's 10mi away?
If your only trying to drive it a distance just add a little extra oil and call it good.
Ah, I assumed the swelling would be more permanent, that makes sense. I’m hoping to reduce oil leakage for as long as possible without replacing any gaskets because I don’t have the ability to dig deep into the engine where I am. I think I’ll still try it but it sounds like it’s not gonna stop much after the oil change

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, I assumed the swelling would be more permanent, that makes sense. I’m hoping to reduce oil leakage for as long as possible without replacing any gaskets because I don’t have the ability to dig deep into the engine where I am. I think I’ll still try it but it sounds like it’s not gonna stop much after the oil change
If it's only a few drips just put a piece of cardboard down and check your oil level weekly keeping it topped up just over the upper line.

SmokeyEddyTDI

TDI
2009.5 MK6 Jetta 6-speed manual
I think the solution to this problem is this:

Clean the engine as best you can at the back with ample hand held light to see everywhere. Take some photos with your cell phone on the 0.6 zoom setting. You can't really take too many photos. There is a plastic dust shield right in-front of your face that is easy to remove - i think it's two 16mm bolts but check. Be careful with it - they're brittle as they heat and cool. This is to help you see and use your arms above your face.
I want you to pay attention to where the turbo oil drain (it's a very solid looking pipe) is. It connects in a tiny spot in the center of the turbo cartridge (between the aluminum and cast iron sides) and has a little 2 inch flex pipe where it becomes much larger and mates to a huge banjo bolt on the back of the block. The Banjo bolt doesn't take a huge torque value so it can sometimes back off. It doesn't carry oil at pressure either so when it's lose it can leak without being a huge leak. Anyways, stuff some clean paper towel up in that business until it looks shiny.

Set the car back down and use it for 24 hours without putting the felt cover or the axle dust cover back.
Look again behind the engine like you did the day before... I suspect the oil drain is leaking.
There are very few places for oil to leak as you described. The cam cover is extremely unlikely.

I guess it's possible the oil is coming from EGR related piping and the oil drops are actually collected oil vapour from a boost least?

If you don't determine what is leaking exactly it will at least tell the rest of us where it's propagating from from your second set of photos. Don't expect to get it ultra clean, we're just looking for a change.

I think looking for the leak is the best course of action and no, I also would not use a stop leak of any kind on this engine in particular because the turbo has very tight tolerances and for the most part constitutes the high grade oil requirement for these vehicles. adding basically anything to the oil, in my opinion, would have negative results and then be a pain for a long time afterwards.

Last edited:

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd have a guess and say it's the oil cooler orings under the filter housing. Mine went twice in two years. Touch wood, been good since. Third time lucky.

And no, don't use stop leak