Is it possible to make a 2016 TDI wagon handle?

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
New 2016 TDI wagons are now for sale in Mexico for around 15k. Seems like a very good deal they are US and Canada spec cars, mostly manual and even some SE spec cars. Is it possible to set the wagon with a torsion beam rear suspension up to handle as well as a GTI? My last car was a MK7 R and I perviously owned a 2012 TDI wagon. I already have a set of 18 inch Sparco wheels with MPSS tires that I used on my R.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a lot of back and forth here about the torsion beam rear axle versus IRS, with many people saying the beam rear axle cars are inferior. I understand that view, but these are front drive, nose-heavy cars, which isn't the best place to start for excellent handling.

If you want to make the '16 TDI more fun to drive the first improvement is a rear anti-roll bar. Get the stiffest one you can find, preferably one that fits inside the rear axle beam. This will lighten the steering, improve turn-in, and reduce understeer. However, it will also make the car more inclined to spin when it's slippery out.

Second improvement would be to improve front camber. I don't know how much adjustment is available in the stock suspension (usually none) but if you can get one degree of negative camber it makes the car much more responsive without negatively affecting tire wear.

Third is better dampers and, more important, better tires, which you appear to already have. The lower the tread wear rating on the tires the more stick they're going to have.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
I assume the regular golf TDI has the IRS rear? Maybe it would make a better handling car? The road I drive a couple times a week here in Mexico is very steep and fast, so stability, lateral traction and torque are most important. I was shopping for 2015 Audi S3 2 door hatchback, which is available in Mexico but the prices for these diesel gate cars are just more than half price for new with a factory warranty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Golf and GSW TDIs both have torsion beam rear suspensions. Making room for the adblue tank meant no IRS.

I'm confident either car can handle the road you drive on.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Second improvement would be to improve front camber. I don't know how much adjustment is available in the stock suspension (usually none) but if you can get one degree of negative camber it makes the car much more responsive without negatively affecting tire wear.
When I had my Golf aligned, it came out to -1.2 and -1.6deg. Non-adjustable, but looks like they got it right.

Some upgraded shocks make a world of a difference on the car IMO.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I assume the regular golf TDI has the IRS rear? Maybe it would make a better handling car? The road I drive a couple times a week here in Mexico is very steep and fast, so stability, lateral traction and torque are most important. I was shopping for 2015 Audi S3 2 door hatchback, which is available in Mexico but the prices for these diesel gate cars are just more than half price for new with a factory warranty.
The mk7 golf tdi may not have IRS either, but it will have somewhat sportier handling than the wagon. With some strut/shock, spring, and tire upgrades, the golf handling could probably be quite similar to a gti.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
I ended up buying a new white 2016 SEL tdi wagon with DSG and Drivers assistance for 15k out the door with all taxes and registration costs and a 2 year warranty included. I'll first try H&R springs, sway bars and the MPSS 235/40r18 tires and wheels I already have. If I am not satisfied I guess I'll swap in an IRS from a GTI..