Is it possible to install a cruise control in a B4?

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
oh darn
It seems we're quite even:

You have always A/c and cruise control. we have always ABS and dual airbag and electric mirrors and heated seats and soooooooooooooooo on
Euro 3 standard diesel fuelllllllllllll
damn sh_t I wish I could have a cruise control.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
For your vintage vehicle, according to what I can find, I think you have to obtain (1) cruise control electronic control box, (2) replace the turn signal stalk with one that has the CC functionality, (3) add vacuum vent valves to the brake and clutch pedals, (4) add a vacuum pump (which gets located by the battery and windscreen washer fluid container), (5) add a positioning "element" to the accelerator pedal, (6) add a wiring harness, and (7) vacuum tubing between the various components.

In short, it is doable. I have no idea what it would cost. Perhaps you can locate salvaged parts?

If I could figure out a way to extract this information into something I could send to you, I would.

For newer ones it is a matter of changing the turn signal stalk, possibly adding wiring, and set an enabling code in the ECM. This info has been posted. Make use of the "fast search" with "cruise retro" to find the threads.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Andrei's B4 should be a simple electronic retrofit. Get the cruise stalk, hook it up, and then recode your ECU. It's definately doable and the procedure has been posted before.

(Damn, no :thumbup: here.. Been spending too much time on the 'Tex
)

Shouldn't cost you much more than the cost of a cruise lever either.

[ January 13, 2003, 20:13: Message edited by: dzcad90 ]

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
Andrei,

All US spec B4 TDI's came with cruise as standard, so I doubt if many people have experience with retro-fitting it. I would have thought at the very least you would need to acquire an indicator stalk that has the cruise functionality. Then it might be as simple as using a VAGCOM to turn it on in the ECU. Of course, I have been known to be horribly wrong before.

Good luck though.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I did a complete OE cruise install on my Golf III 2.0, not a big deal but you have to have access to a donor car to get everything. Most salvage yards around here dont let you get to the vehicle, they want to sell you the ECU and maybe the vac pump but that's about it, they dont want you messing with the wiring etc. I was fortunate to find a yard that did allow me to work in the car so I got all the components.

good luck, it's worth it!

steve a

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The TDI is much simpler than the 2.0.

You only need a new indicator stalk and one simple wiring harness which anyone able to crimp or solder can make themselves.

You don't need a donor car to do this on a TDI.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Originally posted by christi:
The TDI is much simpler than the 2.0.

You only need a new indicator stalk and one simple wiring harness which anyone able to crimp or solder can make themselves.

You don't need a donor car to do this on a TDI.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I meant it in terms of having access to all the components needed to do the install, not from the perspective of acquiring a complete car just to obtain the cruise.

Steve A

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The components for a TDI are

One indicator stalk.
One cable harnes (four pin connector to four pin connector).

It is not particularly expensive to buy the firat and make the second. Poking around in scrap yards just isn't necessary

Whereas you need dozens of parts for a gasser, which I would imagine are quite expensive to buy, even if you can figure out what to order.

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
First of all I would like to thank everybody that contributed to this topic as you all helped me very much:

Now I know what I should do:
1) Check behind the fuse box for the four wire connector.
(I've been there a few times trying to figure a way to get wires from inside the car into the engine compartment - found a good way through the round rubber sealing etc.)
2) Connect temporary switches to verify functionality of the cruise control software
3) Test it on the road - if it doesn't work then:
4) Go to a VAG-COM like computer garage / person and set a few things as described in the wonderful step-by-step guide that Christi published
5) Install the switch: either the good looking, safe option of the stalk either some switches in the panel (probably that's what I will do since messing with the airbag, steering wheel and searching for proabably an unavailable stalk in this sh!tty country would be hell).

A few more questions remain in my mind:

1) Are there any dangers if I successfully install switches in the central panel (I mean that place where the radio is), by dangers I mean traffic problems? I don't mean electrical or small mechanical issues. Something like not being able to disengage cc fast enough or such functionality issues

2) Is it possible for me to not find that four wire connector there? Or should I say is it possible for it to not EXIST?

I worked in that wire mess a few months ago as I said trying to find a way to get wires from inside the car into engine compartment and I was afraid and still am that working in that mess not to accidentally pull some cable by mistake or mess an electric contact and f**k up my car. Lights, radio and small stuff wouldn't be vital but ECU, sensors in the intake, pre-turbo, post-turbo and all those things I have no ideea about could be, right? Am I too chicken?

Again, thank you all for all your support and keep this great forum the good way it is!

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
One more thing...
Does that part (the cc stalk) come with the big red button (sorry I don't know its name in english yet) 'cause my red button died mechanically (it won't be pushed as much as I try... it simply doesn't "sink" in.

Porsche Romania (main VW dealer) quoted me 66 EUR for it (about 70 USD here) and as you can guess I said "??! No f-ing way!!!" but if they have/bring cc stalk with the red buttton then it would be worht it.

QUESTION: Around how much can this stalk cost?
(3+7)X!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The cruise stalks run more then $70 in the US, but it's been a while since I've seen the pricing on these. From the photos christi referenced it looks like the A3 and some B4's share the same stalk.

The gasser 2.0's actually dont have that many components, but when you price all the parts out it gets very expensive from the dealership.

steve a

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Steve Addy:
but when you price all the parts out it gets very expensive from the dealership
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And unfortunately the stealership is the only available source here...
Salvage yards are sometimes (!!!) more expensive than dealership (probably are idiots...)

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Originally posted by Andrei Rinea:
1) Are there any dangers if I successfully install switches in the central panel (I mean that place where the radio is), by dangers I mean traffic problems? I don't mean electrical or small mechanical issues. Something like not being able to disengage cc fast enough or such functionality issues
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The cruise control will always disengage if you press either the brake pedal or clutch pedal. If the wires to either switch are broken or not connected then the cruise control will not work.

So no I no not believe that there are any dangers introduced by using your own switches instead of the VW one.

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
Latest update:

Porsche Romania quoted me 70 EUR for it but they said it is highly unlikely that my ECU supports cc and I am getting my hopes up useless...
They are idiots sometimes anyway so I will not take crap from them..... I will check my ECU with a VAG-COM anyway and see if it supports it or not..

Probably they will try to convince me to buy a newer ECU or something 'cause they are always after money...

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
It probably has the feature but the feature will be disabled by configuration (that is how mine was).

As the European dealers don't know how to enable it, and in fact don't even know that it's there, they are sort of correct to say that it isn't supported.

However you do know how to enable it now.