Is it possible to decide my 2006 to activate headlamps with wipers on?

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Maybe, if you have a rain sensor it should work with VCDS coding. There may be issues depending on which control module you have that I am not aware of, but on my Passat I was able to do that.

Simple_Man

TDI
Golf, 2002
Or just always have your headlights on :p

Or, kinda the same thing, just don't disable your DRLs. If those are working, you should really have no problem.
Not true. DRL's do not turn on your tail lights. And the point of the law, and common sense, is that YOU can be seen, not for you to be able to see.

Simple_man

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Not true. DRL's do not turn on your tail lights. And the point of the law, and common sense, is that YOU can be seen, not for you to be able to see.

Simple_man
Never occurred to me. Thanks for the insight :cool:

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
I'm not sure if you want DRL on all the time, but the 06 Audi A3 my brother has can be changed to Scandinavian DRL mode via VCDS which has all the lights on (headlights, taillights, side markers) at a reduced intensity. And another VCDS change that turns on the lights when you go above 90mph but that's probably not safe in the rain

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I wish more states would enforce this.
Really? Why? Just another nanny state regulation. If I'm in weather conditions that requires additional lighting to be seen, I reach down to this thing called a light switch and select the appropriate lighting for the conditions.

If a person is such an imbecile that they can't operate their car in a safe and responsible manner, they should just stop driving.

Last edited:

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Really? Why? Just another nanny state regulation. If I'm in weather conditions that requires additional lighting to be seen, I reach down to this thing called a light switch and select the appropriate lighting for the conditions.

If a person is such an imbecile that they can't operate their car in a safe and responsible manner, they should just stop driving.
This isn't really nanny state territory... Banning soda drinks over 1 litre? Yeah, ok... but headlights in the rain?

The problem is that there are too many imbeciles out there that jeopardize other people's lives. Being a safe driver shouldn't be a choice...

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual

Unfortunately, the other person's visibility (or lack thereof) poses an unnecessary risk to those of us who try to do the right and responsible thing. Oh, and taken to its logical conclusion, if a person is such an imbecile, enforcement of these laws would actually increase that imbecile's odds of losing their license, which would at least push them into the direction of stopping driving.

The wisdom and efficacy of such laws is debatable, but seeing a law enacted with no intention of ever being enforced just irks me. Just driving in the mist/rain this morning, less than half the traffic on my commute had their lights on. Either ticket them or don't bother passing the law in the first place.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I'm curious if the DRL behaviour can be changed on the Mk4s to include the markers... That'd be nice.

I totally agree on the "don't create laws you don't enforce" thing. When laws are generally unenforced but on the books they become nothing more than a tool to be used by an officer who feels like harassing someone that's done nothing wrong. Wrong skin color for the neighbourhood? Oh hey, your tail lights aren't on in the rain... It's either the law or its not. It shouldn't be there as an arbitrary tool to hassle people who are otherwise just going about their business.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg

I agree, I'm a lights-on guy 24/7, as in WHENEVER moving on the road even on the sunniest of days. I have several reasons for this and have converted a few people to the same policy.

However, it is hard to see grey and silver cars that match the sky and the pavement when drving in highway overspray. And it seems the drivers of those color cars are the worst offenders. :rolleyes:

Precedent has become we cater to the "imbeciles", so I actually see the need for this rule. (Which we do have in Missouri, not that I've ever heard of or seen it enforced.) Since licenses come with a box of Cracker Jack, it's a good rule.

That said, even though I'm a headlamp zealot, I still don't want my car controlling them, I am perfectly capable of remembering to use the switch. :)

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
DRLs are making bigger idiots of people I've noticed and once I've counted on one pitch black 5am winter morning 17 people who didn't have their normal lights on because DRLs are main headlights they don't notice they're tail lights aren't lit. And that was only a 40 minute drive

I nearly hit one of these idiots as he pulled out without signaling. That same kind of moment you just about see a deer jump out in front of you and correct your speed

Kudos to the people that actually know when to turn them on. Even my finances mother thinks it's fine to drive around with her full beams on everywhere!! Facepalm
This. DRLs are supposed to be safer, and yet the net effect seems to be that so many people drive around in poorly lit conditions without taillights. Right now the dash lights seem to be the only thing compelling people to turn their lights on. God forbid we ever get daytime running dash lights as well!

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
So the answer is no. Thabks guys lol I'll get into the habit. I already turn them on when it's raining hard I just forget when it's minir drizzle in the city.

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Back to the OP's question though. Is it possible to code the headlights to turn on when you turn on your wipers? I've looked through some of the coding with my VCDS, but didn't see it anywhere.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
This law was really created for the insurance companies. The fine if you get stopped is ridiculously low, but your insurance is notified and a surcharge is added to your premium for a number of years. In the state I live in it has been a law for a number of years now, if you get pulled over the fine is steeper than Mass, but your insurance doesn't pull the surcharge garbage. I'm not against this law at all, just the way the insurance companies are gonna benefit from it. I have always put my lights on on overcast or rainy days, that's what my drivers ed instructor taught us.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Back to the OP's question though. Is it possible to code the headlights to turn on when you turn on your wipers? I've looked through some of the coding with my VCDS, but didn't see it anywhere.

I did the same went through each byte with my long coding helper.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Most of the time I have all of the lights on. The Touareg is coded such that the "DRL" function is everything - headlights and tail lights. I like it. :)