Is it Possible of No TDI Alternative?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
So would the Flintstone Flyer, but I don't want to drive it either . . . and about the same level of refinement as GM . . .
To each his/her own. Just saying that when we take a 500+ mile road trip...it's in her vehicle. It's that much more comfortable to operate. If fuel was $5/gallon, I might change my tune, but at the moment...the pluses of driving her car long distances outweigh the pluses of taking mine.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
We take our Passat everywhere - better ride, better handling, stellar mileage . . . about the only thing it won't do is haul a big load of stuff, and that's what the diesel pickup is for. I can't stand cars that ride like they are in four wet sponges or grandma's beat down couch . . . even battleships don't wallow that much, and I find that poor level of handling unsafe, but very common in American/GM products . . . and again, there is my aversion to supporting organized crime . . .

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
My father recently sold his '97 Cavalier. Not sure of the mileage, he did not drive it that often in the past 5 years or so. For the most part the car was good. They only needed to do a little work to it in all the time they had it. Still got over 30 MPG.

I have rented Chevy Malubus a few times over the past few years. I have to say that I like the feel of them. I don't know how well the handling actually compares, but the feel is very taut.

I drove a Cruze, but it was too small for me. If not I would have considered one. The funny thing is that I have seen some info that maybe they will be having some EPA problems as well.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Really a bad idea. A Kruse is still a pile of crap Chevy. If you like replacing parts long before you should have to, get a Chevy. Our 1997 Cavalier really hurt our eyes open on how dismal a Chevy can be.

Seriously? A strut that is completely out of oil within 25K miles of the car being new? With the cooling system issues, it just went down hill from there.
Yeah, nothing could possibly have changed in 20 years.

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
i still love my 1964 Chevy Corvair

chilehead19

Veteran Member
TDI
. 2014 Sportwagen TDi for me 2011 2dr golf for my wife
I remember a mechanic telling me how the Chevy cavalier would run badly, but for a long time.

Last edited: