Is it Possible of No TDI Alternative?

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
My '09 Jetta has 233,000 miles on it and the air has baled. So there's that and the upcoming 2nd timing belt replacement; not to mention the big scandal.
With that, I've been on a mission to find a new car rather than pay for the new air conditioning system and timing belt and, for the life of me, can't find one that checks all the boxes as my TDI does.
So, just scheduled the air system replacement with the timing belt soon after that.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
On my 2009 JSW I have invested in two timing belt changes, DPF failed and EGR filter plugged (Fixed with a downpipe and tune).d
The A/C has had the RCV replaced.
Turbo actuator replaced.
Installed the 2 Micro filter and Bypass to protect against a blown HPFP.
Various latches replaced.
The sun roof leaked and all four corner drains repaired.
I worry about the oil pump drive and all of the other stuff, but I liked toe car to take a chance on a 2013 JSW when this one got to be high mileage.
We looked at lots of cars and liked the JSW still the best.
Just roll the dice and grit your teeth.
I think I will keep these and see if they come up with a fix that works.
These might be two of the cars that cost VW that maximum fine in 2019.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
My '09 Jetta has 233,000 miles on it and the air has baled. So there's that and the upcoming 2nd timing belt replacement; not to mention the big scandal.
With that, I've been on a mission to find a new car rather than pay for the new air conditioning system and timing belt and, for the life of me, can't find one that checks all the boxes as my TDI does.
So, just scheduled the air system replacement with the timing belt soon after that.
Look into the Chevy Cruze Diesel. It is a little smaller than a MKV Jetta, but well equipped standard and a very nice little car. A few can still be found new if you are willing to drive, or pick up a CPO or used one locally. I drove a bit for a CPO with only 4100 miles on it at a great price and I really like the car!:D

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
There is no free lunch....
A vehicle burning diesel has fuel that has more BTU'S per given volume...
This means that all other things being equal, it will ALWAYS get more mpg....
does this mean that a 42 mpg turbo car running RUG is not as economical? No....lower repair and initial costs... diesel has been slow to catch on in the USA cause here the fuel prices are lower and the benefits not was great as other places where diesel fuel us LOWER TAXED than the US....here we tax DIESEL at a HIGHER TAX RATE, negating much of the benefits....
Gas cars are different....and more modern cars a loaded down with more safety equipment that is mandatory....
Things like door beams, tpms, stronger pillars, offset crash protection, etc all add weight and cost....
I still remember my 1989 Honda CRX HF that got 50+ mpg with a simple port injected motor that was fun to drive...retired that in 2005...not many safety features, but to compare the 2 seat CRX to the hybrid CRZ (two seats two), the older CRX was faster, lighter, got better mpg....go figure...progress?!

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
can't find one that checks all the boxes as my TDI does.
What are your boxes?

The two that my Jetta TDI missed were being unable to fill up at home and getting >70 miles on the energy in a gallon of diesel... but the Jetta was the best available at the time :/

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
What are your boxes?
The two that my Jetta TDI missed were being unable to fill up at home and getting >70 miles on the energy in a gallon of diesel... but the Jetta was the best available at the time :/
- manual transmission
- solid construction
- good on gas
- 4 doors a bonus, but not essential
- fun to drive
- not really expensive
- looks good, but kind of "conservative" too
- has a dipstick
- reliable

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My father-in-law just bought a 2016 Jetta with the 1.4L TSI engine. I test drove it and I was impressed.

If I knew for a fact that there would be no TDI's sold again in North America, that would be my next car (if and when I needed one...my TDI is still going strong).

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
My husband got a '16 GLI to replace his '01 TDI. We're loving it. Really fun to drive, looks great, and he's been getting in the 30's on the highway. He's gotten as much as 38mpg so far, and I know he can do better. Same commute he was getting 42-43 in the TDI so not too bad. The lower tier engines (1.8T and 1.4T) seem to do a little better. We found the 2.0T the most fun to drive, though we only drove a 1.8T not the 1.4T because they didn't have any manuals on the lot.

Just took the car in for its 10k service this morning so its getting miles quick (its only 6 months old) and we couldn't be happier with it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Look into the Chevy Cruze Diesel. It is a little smaller than a MKV Jetta, but well equipped standard and a very nice little car. A few can still be found new if you are willing to drive, or pick up a CPO or used one locally. I drove a bit for a CPO with only 4100 miles on it at a great price and I really like the car!:D
Really a bad idea. A Kruse is still a pile of crap Chevy. If you like replacing parts long before you should have to, get a Chevy. Our 1997 Cavalier really hurt our eyes open on how dismal a Chevy can be.

Seriously? A strut that is completely out of oil within 25K miles of the car being new? With the cooling system issues, it just went down hill from there.

Last edited:

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
My husband got a '16 GLI to replace his '01 TDI. We're loving it. Really fun to drive, looks great, and he's been getting in the 30's on the highway. He's gotten as much as 38mpg so far, and I know he can do better. Same commute he was getting 42-43 in the TDI so not too bad. The lower tier engines (1.8T and 1.4T) seem to do a little better. We found the 2.0T the most fun to drive, though we only drove a 1.8T not the 1.4T because they didn't have any manuals on the lot.

Just took the car in for its 10k service this morning so its getting miles quick (its only 6 months old) and we couldn't be happier with it.
That might be "it" when the time comes. I'm really liking the BMW M2 and Audi S3 (although I have a mental block to no-dipstick and must have a manual transmission), but they would definitely not be a smart move.
Still driving a lot, but not as much and the GLI might be the "best" car all things considered; maybe.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Really a bad idea. A Kruse is still a pile of crap Chevy. If you like replacing parts long before you should have to, get a Chevy. Our 1997 Cavalier really hurt our eyes open on how dismal a Chevy can be.

Seriously? A strut that is completely out of oil within 25K miles of the car being new? With the cooling system issues, it just went down hill from there.
Come on, you've been drinking the VW Cool-aid too much if you think the VW TDIs are remarkably better than a MODERN Chevy. You are talking about an entirely different animal with a 20-year old Cavalier compared to a modern Chevy or any Modern car for that matter. The Chevy Cruze rated higher than the VW Golf, Jetta and Beetle in the 2016 JD Power Initial Quality reports as well. http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2...dy-(IQS)-by-Category/1221ENG/Compact-Car/1029 Chevy also placed EIGHT positions higher than VW in the study by brand. http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-(IQS)-by-Make/1222ENG So maybe Chevy isn't as bad as it once was, or as bad as you thought it was, and maybe, just maybe VW is not as good as you think it is...

I really find it hard to understand why so many die-hard VW Cool-aid drinkers STILL stand behind the brand after the cheating and deception that the company willingly did!!! Think about it, they knew well in advance that the emissions laws were changing for 2007 MY and were not able to meet the requirements with the PD engine used at that time. So they pulled the car off the market after building MANY 2007 MY TDIs that were badged as 2006s but were indeed 2007 MY cars (mine was one of them that did not have a key hole to open the trunk and it even came with 2007 Owners Manuals). Then they worked for years (no doubt counting back to 2005-2006 or earlier) to come up with a solution to meet the strict emissions requirements. AND, the BEST that VW as a Company could come up with was to CHEAT!!! What kind of engineering is that??? They had years to develop and implement a solution that other manufacturers were able to do, yet they CHOSE to CHEAT!!! That tells me a lot about the company right there...:mad::confused::mad:

I guess PD Cams wearing out, leaking sunroofs, falling headliners, broken driver door wire harnesses, broken armrests, broken glove boxes, broken cup holders, HPFP failure and so on are all the hallmarks of high-end, high-quality reliable cars!!!:mad:

Stop with the bias... I've driven both extensively and the Chevy Cruze Diesel is very much on par with the VW TDIs and ahead on many levels. For instance it is not involved in an Emissions Cheating scandal that is requiring owners to sell their car back and find another alternative. How many miles have you spent behind the wheel of a Chevy Cruze Diesel? Have you even sat in one??? The real leather seating that isn't even available on the Jetta TDI sure is nice on your backside!!! As are the MANY other standard features that are not included in the TDI.:confused:

My Mk V 2006 Jetta TDI was a nice car, but the headliner was sagging, there was a leak into the trunk, the vinyl seats were starting to crack and it was due for another timing belt and possible cam replacement again so I decided to sell it and buy a low mileage (4,100) CPO Chevy Cruze Diesel so I could still drive a diesel car AND have a large supportive dealer network with a 4/48 B2B warranty. I had an open mind and am VERY happy with my decision!:eek::D:eek:

No car is perfect!!! But the Cruze Diesel is a good alternative to a VW TDI. And that is what the OP was asking for.:D

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
"Requiring owners to sell back"? Do a little reading - nobody is being forced to do anything. Incented, yes, but not forced . . .

And unlike GM, the VW issue is basically that they gave owners a *better* vehicle than the EPA was demanding . . . . when was the last time Gaudy Mouldings Corp. overachieved on anything?

Couple that with Chevy being extorted to use the Unskilled Apathetic Workforce . . . one more reason to avoid them . . . I don't support organized crime . . .

Last edited:

NoFuiYo

TDI
None :'(
Come on, you've been drinking the VW Cool-aid too much if you think the VW TDIs are remarkably better than a MODERN Chevy. You are talking about an entirely different animal with a 20-year old Cavalier compared to a modern Chevy or any Modern car for that matter. The Chevy Cruze rated higher than the VW Golf, Jetta and Beetle in the 2016 JD Power Initial Quality reports as well. http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2...dy-(IQS)-by-Category/1221ENG/Compact-Car/1029 Chevy also placed EIGHT positions higher than VW in the study by brand. http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Initial-Quality-Study-(IQS)-by-Make/1222ENG So maybe Chevy isn't as bad as it once was, or as bad as you thought it was, and maybe, just maybe VW is not as good as you think it is...
I really find it hard to understand why so many die-hard VW Cool-aid drinkers STILL stand behind the brand after the cheating and deception that the company willingly did!!! Think about it, they knew well in advance that the emissions laws were changing for 2007 MY and were not able to meet the requirements with the PD engine used at that time. So they pulled the car off the market after building MANY 2007 MY TDIs that were badged as 2006s but were indeed 2007 MY cars (mine was one of them that did not have a key hole to open the trunk and it even came with 2007 Owners Manuals). Then they worked for years (no doubt counting back to 2005-2006 or earlier) to come up with a solution to meet the strict emissions requirements. AND, the BEST that VW as a Company could come up with was to CHEAT!!! What kind of engineering is that??? They had years to develop and implement a solution that other manufacturers were able to do, yet they CHOSE to CHEAT!!! That tells me a lot about the company right there...:mad::confused::mad:
I guess PD Cams wearing out, leaking sunroofs, falling headliners, broken driver door wire harnesses, broken armrests, broken glove boxes, broken cup holders, HPFP failure and so on are all the hallmarks of high-end, high-quality reliable cars!!!:mad:
Stop with the bias... I've driven both extensively and the Chevy Cruze Diesel is very much on par with the VW TDIs and ahead on many levels. For instance it is not involved in an Emissions Cheating scandal that is requiring owners to sell their car back and find another alternative. How many miles have you spent behind the wheel of a Chevy Cruze Diesel? Have you even sat in one??? The real leather seating that isn't even available on the Jetta TDI sure is nice on your backside!!! As are the MANY other standard features that are not included in the TDI.:confused:
My Mk V 2006 Jetta TDI was a nice car, but the headliner was sagging, there was a leak into the trunk, the vinyl seats were starting to crack and it was due for another timing belt and possible cam replacement again so I decided to sell it and buy a low mileage (4,100) CPO Chevy Cruze Diesel so I could still drive a diesel car AND have a large supportive dealer network with a 4/48 B2B warranty. I had an open mind and am VERY happy with my decision!:eek::D:eek:
No car is perfect!!! But the Cruze Diesel is a good alternative to a VW TDI. And that is what the OP was asking for.:D
13 deaths in the GM ignition cover-up and people, you included, keep promoting that brand and buying their vehicles. 0 deaths with the VW emissions 'scandal' :rolleyes: ... Yeah, not really valid your point

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
13 deaths in the GM ignition cover-up and people, you included, keep promoting that brand and buying their vehicles. 0 deaths with the VW emissions 'scandal' :rolleyes: ... Yeah, not really valid your point
If the VW scandal didn't kill anyone then neither does cigarettes... statistics matter.

The VW scandal has resulted in ~60 deaths in the US alone.

NoFuiYo

TDI
If the VW scandal didn't kill anyone then neither does cigarettes...

The VW scandal has resulted in ~60 deaths in the US alone.
That's according to a study by a journal:eek:

First fatality by Tesla using its autopilot is pretty recent... I wouldn't bash VW too much

Last edited:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
That's according to a study by a journal:eek:
??? How do you think smoking was linked to cancer? To say that the VW cheating scandal didn't kill anyone is no different than saying tobacco doesn't kill anyone... both are absurd.

First fatality by Tesla using its autopilot is pretty recent... I wouldn't bash VW too much
Yes; 1:130M miles for autopilot... vs 1:100M for manual driving...

Statistics matter....

Last edited:

NoFuiYo

TDI
??? How do you think smoking was linked to cancer? To say that the VW cheating scandal didn't kill anyone is no different than saying tobacco doesn't kill anyone... both are absurd.

Yes; 1:130M miles for autopilot... vs 1:100M for manual driving...

Statistics matter....
That's Mega Millions or Powerball odds:eek: we should go play...:D

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep... but on average each person buys 15k 'tickets' every year... I might buy 1 or 2 powerball tickets every year... if you're buying ~15k powerball tickets every year you probably have a gambling problem ;)

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Yeah...but the cancer doesn't happen for 30 years....
Everytime I see a hypothetical stat I get ill ...so that person rather than gets cancer dies in a ski slope ...earlier...lol...or maybe of addiction....it just mathematical probability...and a pretty poor calculation....but it always happens....

NoFuiYo

TDI
Yep... but on average each person buys 15k 'tickets' every year... I might buy 1 or 2 powerball tickets every year... if you're buying ~15k powerball tickets every year you probably have a gambling problem ;)

Naaaaah:rolleyes:, well, at least I think I don't:eek: hehehehe

NoFuiYo

TDI
Yeah...but the cancer doesn't happen for 30 years....
Everytime I see a hypothetical stat I get ill ...so that person rather than gets cancer dies in a ski slope ...earlier...lol...or maybe of addiction....it just mathematical probability...and a pretty poor calculation....but it always happens....
Me and math are not a good match:eek:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
In other words, 20 years from now you will be like thousands of Cubans stuck in Havana, nursing your very old car and enjoying the ride.

Irony, isn't it, to discover that maintaining a really old car is more cost effective than buying a brand new one, particularly if it is TDI technology.

I hope that VW keeps producing TDI cars at affordable prices. I love this technology.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
"Requiring owners to sell back"? Do a little reading - nobody is being forced to do anything. Incented, yes, but not forced . . .

And unlike GM, the VW issue is basically that they gave owners a *better* vehicle than the EPA was demanding . . . . when was the last time Gaudy Mouldings Corp. overachieved on anything?

Couple that with Chevy being extorted to use the Unskilled Apathetic Workforce . . . one more reason to avoid them . . . I don't support organized crime . . .
I think we just mind-melded.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
In other words, 20 years from now you will be like thousands of Cubans stuck in Havana, nursing your very old car and enjoying the ride.
That's the kind of thing that's only worth it if you enjoy working on cars... I thought I was that kind of person... then I had to remove 6 other items from around my engine and accidentally drained half the coolant trying to replace an alternator pulley... no thanks... my time is more valuable than that.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
That's the kind of thing that's only worth it if you enjoy working on cars... I thought I was that kind of person... then I had to remove 6 other items from around my engine and accidentally drained half the coolant trying to replace an alternator pulley... no thanks... my time is more valuable than that.
The key is living within walking distance of a highly trusted mechanic. Got lucky and after living in the mid-life-crisis BMW world traveling all over for the "best" of the BMW independent mechanics I'd rather die than ever doing that again.

CoryS

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jetta 1.4T
So much for mechanics. Did the entire air conditioning system today which works GREAT now, but the morons forgot to connect the wire harness for the front lights. So after taking the lights apart (which are a little fumbly to get properly back in place and the shop was closed so I had no one to yell at; yet) I noticed the unconnected harness. ****** idiots.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

Meh. Gotta love GM bashing. I would bet my paycheck on it that my GF's 10 year old 180k Pontiac Torrent has had less money spent on it in repairs than the average 180k VW.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
So would the Flintstone Flyer, but I don't want to drive it either . . . and about the same level of refinement as GM . . .

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I was a GM basher for most of the last 30 years...until I recently drove several.

Wife and I are actually looking at a Volt. I was amazed at both the customer satisfaction of Volt drivers and the reliability overall of the vehicle.

There are plenty of faults to use to bash any manufacturer...none are exempt.