Is it okay to remove airbox and replace stock filter with K&N Cone Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
going from i want to use a cool F&F filter to i just wanted sound... sure bud.
just keep telling yourself that.
put some train horns on it

ChristianFry

TDI
2011 3.0 V6 Touareg
going from i want to use a cool F&F filter to i just wanted sound... sure bud.
just keep telling yourself that.
put some train horns on it
point of the filter was to remove the airbox so I can hear the turbo flutter more get off your high horse. train horns are a great idea.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
high horse lol SURE>... keep telling yourself that everyone has a high horse and buying a filter is a good idea.
do yourself a favor. just take off the intake boot and go drive as long as its not dusty or gravel, you will be fine. see if its actually a sound you can hear... because it isn't all the turbo sound comes from the exhaust side. your turbo is TINY.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Actually, if you are after sound, even better a W8 than a V10 TDI:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
These cars are so we'll muffled. The dof, the cat, the resonates, the muffler. The turbo muffler. I'd remove the turbo muffler first. You can do a dry type cone filter. Non oiled. I modified mine and improved the ram air. Although I have to blow the filter out more. You can use a knn filter. Just wash the oil out and don't oil it. You could just cut a hole in the bottom of the stock box. It's your car. There is no gains to a cone filter over the stock box on a turbo car.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ram air... on a turbo engine....
putting this much effort to make a cone filter or (dust ram) lol is moronic. just like putting train horns on a jetta, like i actually did...
OMG seriously
removing emissions components (mufflers and cats) is not a legal decision here. against forum rules.
Why this post wasn't locked while everyone gets warnings for trolling... is beyond me!

ChristianFry

TDI
2011 3.0 V6 Touareg
Ram air... on a turbo engine....
putting this much effort to make a cone filter or (dust ram) lol is moronic. just like putting train horns on a jetta, like i actually did...
OMG seriously
removing emissions components (mufflers and cats) is not a legal decision here. against forum rules.
Why this post wasn't locked while everyone gets warnings for trolling... is beyond me!
Lol come on man how old are you

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol come on man how old are you
Old enough to not be impressed by the 10 fast and furious movies enough to want turbo sounds because it looks cool... or whatever your reasons are now.
This is basically a joke thread now and no one is taking you seriously. We have forum rules too. Threads like this get locked all the time

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
You may get more of what you are looking for by taking the pipe from the air box to the front of the car where it draws air from off. Of course it is no longer a cold air intake at that point. But it should make the turbo noise more evident.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just put some playing cards with a clothing pin on the turbo so it clicks against the fins. Sure to make great street cred sounds!

ChristianFry

TDI
2011 3.0 V6 Touareg
Old enough to not be impressed by the 10 fast and furious movies enough to want turbo sounds because it looks cool... or whatever your reasons are now.
This is basically a joke thread now and no one is taking you seriously. We have forum rules too. Threads like this get locked all the time
I don't think it's very mature nor polite to be like that. You had my level of knowledge at some point - we all start somewhere buddy. Seems like a lot of people took me seriously and you're the only one who didn't which is fine, people like you exist. Could have chosen to be polite and helpful but your superiority complex scoffed at my newcomer level question. And what forum rule was I breaking? I was asking a question about air filters and sound deadening on my TDI. Surely that fits into the subsection of TDI discussion.

" The original purpose of the TDI 101 Forum Section was to give newbies a place to ask questions without being flammed, even though flamming is against the forum rules. "

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I can't believe how you guys are being led around by this troll. 44 replies, my gosh. should have died at 3. Sorry can't help it.

I see a snotty nosed youtuber, social media worshiping troll who isn't being told what he wants to hear but sure knows how to keep a thread going for count purposes only.

Let him be, and I agree with Mongler - Admin why isn't this thread locked?

And CF please go ahead and do what you want. It will make such a better car and you a legend in your own mind. Just remember this thread.

Bolding for sarcastic purposes only

ChristianFry

TDI
2011 3.0 V6 Touareg
I can't believe how you guys are being led around by this troll. Sorry

I see a snotty nosed youtuber, social media worshiping troll who isn't being told what he wants to hear but sure knows how to keep a thread going for count purposes only.

And CF please go ahead and do what you want. It will make such a better car and you a legend in your own mind. Just remember this thread.

Not a troll I'm genuinely new to the car modification world and was asking a genuine question. My question has been answered and I thank those who took the time to explain to me what and what not to do. Not a very friendly forum is it..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is friendly enough but you asked a question without searching first and then maintained your wish for noise when told it isn't a good idea to do what you suggested. Noise is pollution too! By destroying the stock airbox and filter you will get nothing other than problems. Not even the turbo noise you want which is very minimal at best even without anything in the way. As said before this has been asked and answered many times over here.

ChristianFry

TDI
2011 3.0 V6 Touareg
It is friendly enough but you asked a question without searching first and then maintained your wish for noise when told it isn't a good idea to do what you suggested. Noise is pollution too! By destroying the stock airbox and filter you will get nothing other than problems. Not even the turbo noise you want which is very minimal at best even without anything in the way. As said before this has been asked and answered many times over here.
Which is exactly why I won't be doing it! I had no idea that the stock turbo was too small anyways that the noise increase would be negligible. I also couldn't find much on whether or not K&N filters were going to destroy my engine with their oil. I did maintain my wish for noise and now I know that getting rid of the airbox will only cause more problems and I'm better off to get a new exhaust system or larger turbo.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any search here would have found plenty on K&N filters and what they do and don't do. Would have saved you a question and the replies you dislike.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not the only one here bud. Plenty of posts, like the southpark motorcyclest and what not.
Your a joke at the point. Please lock this thread somone. I had my fill of popcorn and I think I speak for more than myself here.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't believe how you guys are being led around by this troll. 44 replies, my gosh. should have died at 3. Sorry can't help it.

Na. Admins just like to see us feed the troll so we can get warnings to make admins feel big!
Jk, but not really!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How polite and welcoming for a newbie to vehicle modification.. thanks for the warm welcome.
Maybe you should reflect where you are. It's the internet. For the most part we are very welcoming and friendly here. We all told you exactly what you asked for then you swapped positions from asking to insisting and if you cant laughter at some harmless fun, then grow some internet skin please. Go try this at vwvortex or facebook. Results will not be as nice.
You are unwilling to help yourself so we did our part.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, it's social media, gotta put on the thick skin. Don't get discouraged, most folks are just trying to help.
Conventional Wisdom (the rare one that's true)- Don't use an oiled filter on any car with a MAF.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
How polite and welcoming for a newbie to vehicle modification.. thanks for the warm welcome.
I'm going to side with you, as I see that you asked an honest question that has been debated back and forth on many forums. He wasn't being a jerk about it, unlike @Mongler98 and he wasn't trying to break the law. He wasn't even asking how to delete his dpf and EGR, instead he was asking about a perfectly legal, though not good for the vehicle modification (legal unless you're in California, and maybe select other areas)

ChristianFry

TDI
2011 3.0 V6 Touareg
Yea, it's social media, gotta put on the thick skin. Don't get discouraged, most folks are just trying to help.
Conventional Wisdom (the rare one that's true)- Don't use an oiled filter on any car with a MAF.
Thank you Bob. And thank you Mozambiquer.

Mongler seems to be a big stickler for 'forum rules' until it comes around to him. Sure it's the internet, but no need to be rude anyways, especially when we're all just chatting about anything to do with TDI's - something we all have in common.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's all good dude. No worries. It's all in good fun. The threas was over like by post #4. Anything past that is just all of us being forum guys and gals. Have fun... dont be so serial!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Enough. To Christian Fry _ You would not listen to anyone's advice about the K&N filter and kept pushing Mongler's buttons. If you want more turbo noise, please cut up your air box, get the K&N filter or, better yet, just remove the air filter and box completely. To Mongler98 _ Please stop acting like a 3 year old, or you're going to sit in the corner for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.