Is G12 replaced with G13?

RSH

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
My 2013 Passat TDI coolant reservoir says G12 on it, and because it's still available I used Pentosin/Pentofrost SF G12 coolant when my water pump and timing belt were recently replaced. Haven't had heater core issues before or after the water pump and coolant change.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Same here, been using SF since my heater core was replaced 8 years ago, no issues since.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
There might not be a way to know this, but was Pentosin the OE manufacturer for VAG for G12? I know Pentosin has been OE supplier for many other VAG fluids. If so, then it strikes me odd that Pentosin still makes SF but yet VAG no longer carries or stocks "G12". I get trying to make it easier for dealership warehouses to have the next version of something backwards compatible to the previous standard, but if it's still in production then it seems silly that you cannot at least get G12 by special order (similar to the 5w40 flavor of 505.01 motor oil for the PD motors after the dealerships largely stopped carrying it in favor of more "universal" 5w30 that was both 505.01 and 507 certified).

In any event, sounds like Pentosin SF is the easy solution to the G12/G13 debacle for the post-dieselgate fixes.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
There might not be a way to know this, but was Pentosin the OE manufacturer for VAG for G12? I know Pentosin has been OE supplier for many other VAG fluids. If so, then it strikes me odd that Pentosin still makes SF but yet VAG no longer carries or stocks "G12". I get trying to make it easier for dealership warehouses to have the next version of something backwards compatible to the previous standard, but if it's still in production then it seems silly that you cannot at least get G12 by special order (similar to the 5w40 flavor of 505.01 motor oil for the PD motors after the dealerships largely stopped carrying it in favor of more "universal" 5w30 that was both 505.01 and 507 certified).

In any event, sounds like Pentosin SF is the easy solution to the G12/G13 debacle for the post-dieselgate fixes.
I run Pentosin SF in my Passat. Never have a heatercore issue so far in my car. Even when I do my TB, going to put in SF back in, instead of the G13 crap I got from my TB kit.