Is any one keeping their TDI

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
We have looked at other diesels but they are priced to high. We love the fuel mileage and only have 37000 miles on the car. We are thinking about keeping the 2014 Passet SE TDI. Are we the only ones?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope - keeping our 2013 as well. All this poo flinging didn't diminish the car in any way, so no reason not to.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Keeping mine, if a fix is offered, putting those dollars in the bank in case I have a major repair.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
With VW indicating they won't be back with a diesel, I'm keeping the one I have, and looking for a couple more to cover the car needs for the next 10 years or so.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
There are many here who are quietly keeping their VW TDIs. Probably thousands more who are not active on this website.

Many more like myself love their cars but the generous offer on older high mileage cars makes it more financially advantageous to let their cars go to VW and replace with another new or newer car. My replacement is another VWAG TDI.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
keeping my 2011 loaded tdi...45,000 miles on it .I also put in a complete 2015 gti interior (power seats etc..beautiful!) so mine is staying in my driveway!.. will be doing the fix.. if it comes

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
If all works out with my 2013 golf and 2012 jetta sw, I will keep my 15 golf for at least a year. Possibly keep it till the end of the buy back time frame. Keep my miles in line with settlement and drive it deprecation free while paying it off. Pick up a 2018 then.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i am really on the fence. i am not bothered at all by the whole scandal, but the buyback is an easy "out" of a good car that has served me well for years.

reasons to keep...
1- good mileage, very inexpensive to own/operate
2- the car has been very reliable
3- going back to stock won't be fun to do

reasons to sell...
1- will end up with more than i paid 3 years ago
2- easy way out and into a new car
3- coming up on a TB change
4- i am passing 108,000 on the original clutch and i am stage 3.5
5- headliner starting to hang in a few places
6- needs tires
7- i feel like some maintenance issues will come up soon

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Keeping it.

No fix. No VW money.

Just going to drive what is going to be a classic.

Last edited:

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Keeping mine.....maybe?
Hard to not love the fuel economy, and the buy back deal is not quite right for my finance deal yet.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
While we will do the buyback (late in 2018), there's an outside chance that a fix might be acceptable enough that I'd do that. We really like this car. OTOH, it's very difficult to turn down a buyback offer so close to what we paid on a car that will be 5 1/2 years old and have 70-80K on it. This is our first diesel, so we're not that stuck on having another one.

vass1l

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr
2012 Golf TDI and def keeping it... just waiting on the "fix" and then the settlement $... they said a fix will be available first quarter of 2017.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Who's "they"? There's been no official statement from VW, the EPA, CARB, or anyone else regarding whether a fix will be available at all, much less when.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Keeping it. There are no cars on US market that can rival the performance and fuel efficiency of these TDI's render. 167,000 miles and drives better than the first day i drove off from the dealer lot when it was brand new.

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
I'll post here what I posted in another section on here…. after much thought and love for one of the most unique and great cars available at the time… I'm keeping mine. 2015 Golf Sportwagen.
Reading this really saved my VW from getting bought back and torn apart… Heres my short story…
I bought a 2012 TDI Sportwagen after going to Germany in the military and seeing them, having nothing but cars from the 1950s and 1960s I wanted a rather interesting modern car for my family. I came back to the states and we bought the JSW, hoping one day VW would just name it what it really was which is the Golf. Then the GSW comes out and I said ok, this is perfect, I will buy this car and drive it until the wheels fall off.
Got a 2015 GSW SEL, my modern take on a VW Squareback (pictured above in a previous post) and have absolutely loved it ever since, its different, it performs, and its great gas mileage. I bought this car with no intention of ever getting rid of it, like literally until its no longer drivable, so resale value was something I've never worried about.
Then this whole emissions lawsuit thing comes along and I'm like well, here in North Carolina we don't do emissions testing so I'm not worried about it. Then comes along the "buy back" and it hit me at a time when i've been low on money and the VW $500 payment a month is quite a bit, so I thought of selling my beloved VW back and looking for a cheap modern car since I mostly drive my vintage cars anyway. After searching and searching and tons of research I could find nothing that compared to my VW but everyone kept saying id be dumb if I didn't take the buy back, but none of them own one of these cars nor do they understand how great they are! Although I was starting to think it was my best option :(
Fast forward to this recent Thanksgiving and my family and I taking the Golf Sportwagen on a 600 mile trip that cost us less than $30 in diesel! The love of driving this wonderful machine also set back in my system :D I kept peering out the window when the car was in the driveway thinking, I don't want to get rid of this car, I love this car! Its my only modern car and there isn't anything else like it, especially since station wagons are few and far between as it is.
Then comes tonight, I sat in front of my computer researching cars again, looking for more opinions on the buyback vs fix after already signing up on the "portal" VW site thing to do the buy back. Now I have reconsidered…
I have always wanted to do a tune on the GSW but thought, well I'm happy with what it gets now so i'll just leave it alone and maintain the car the best I can. Well with the whole "fix" VW is offering, possibly loosing performance and gas mileage led me to think I should get rid of it… until I decided to call the guys at Kerma, or what I like to call them… TDI Therapists! haha After talking to them and learning I can keep my TDI after the so called fix, have a tune done on it and get better performance and MPG than what I'm getting now I was sold! Yes! I get to keep this wonderful machine and all its uniqueness.
I will use the money VW is giving for the fix to put towards my car payment and then re finance for a lower payment to also fix my needing more money problem at the moment. So this is all working out pretty well, I get to keep the only "modern" car out there that I like, get better performance and better gas mileage than I'm already getting! I mean what car guy doesn't like more horsepower and especially TORQUE! LONG LIVE THE TDI!!! Heck yes.

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
Definitely keeping for the foreseeable future.

Have a 2013 Golf with 33k miles. Paid off . Buyback offer of 25.7k. Used the dealership goodwill card for tires back in the spring.

I'm going to roll the dice and drive a depreciation proof car for 2 years. Might regret it but the car is in perfect condition and I still love to drive it. Cant come up with a good reason to give it back.

Submitted all docs and received offer approval but haven't scheduled appointment. If I change my mind all i need to do is schedule my buyback.

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
Bought two used 2010 JSW's in 2014-15, one currently at 126k one currently at 156k. I drive mine for work, $.54 a mile. I get enough money in mileage that driving the one car pays for notes and maintenance on both, wife commutes 20mi a day. Cars were already free, now comes vw with the fix or buyback. I initially opted to fix. But actually I may do the buyback at the last possible moment in 2018. If I wait and do the buyback I basically double my net cash payout, ie. $10200 for the fix becomes $19k+ in a buyback. The great thing is that I have all the time in the world to decide. I do hope they get the fix approval earlier than later as I would like both options to be open now.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
I just sold mine back. My wife is keeping her 2012 Jetta 6M. I'm glad to keep one in the family. It will go to our daughter in a couple of years. We want to make sure she can drive a stick.

Colville

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL "The Modern Squareback"
With the tune Kerma offers, I don't know why anyone would sale these cars back… The Kerma tune is the best thing to happen for TDI!

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
Actually, the status report from the claims administrator had a breakdown of buyback to fix, looked to be about 6 buyback to 1 fix was the ratio. The numbers were still well under 200k, so that's less than half the population making a decision known.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Keeping. I like the car a lot, and there really isn't anything available that is as efficient without also being a subcompact.

I do notice that the risk of loss due to damage or collision is decreasing steadily. I track values regularly, mostly for OCD type reasons, and according to both reporting services, its retail price (an approximation of insurance ACV) has increased by close to $6000 since memorial Day.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I imagine that many, who are leaning towards the fix, haven't registered at all yet. This and the people who are still totally clueless about the whole situation might explain the 6 to 1 buyback to fix ratio.

I haven't registered since there isn't any real hurry. When fixes are announced, I'll think about going through the trouble. Otherwise, my two TDIs are serving our needs spendidly.

Last edited:

donallen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
To me, the key question is: if I sell the car back to VW (a 2011 TDI wagon, with 29000 miles) what would I replace it with? Is there anything out there remotely as good as this car in the same price bracket? The answer is "no" at this time. So unless a fantastic alternative appears in the next year and a half, I am likely to keep the car.

I am going to wait until the spring of 2018 to make a final decision. I will know definitely by then what my options are for a replacement and will also know whether there is an accepted fix and what its effects are on fuel efficiency and performance. If there is no fix, I would strongly consider keeping the car anyway and forego the money, if no suitable alternative appears. Massachusetts, where I live, has accepted VW environmental mitigation money and therefore, by virtue of the DOJ Consent Decree (see Appendix D) cannot refuse to register the car, even if it is not repaired.