Is all in one turbo a good thing?

cage

Top Post Dawg
We now have a turbo/exhaust manifold combo. I hope it works like a fast food combo or we're f----d. I can only imagine the cost for a turbo that is also the manifold. My guess would be $1,500.00 +++++ I assume it has nothing to do with potential leaks but rather quicker heating to reduce pollution. After all it is a fact that turbo's keep the catalytic converter from heating just due to their mass.

M

mickey

cage, according to VW the one-piece setup is intended to eliminate potential leakage points. (Probably more efficient packaging, too.) Cost-wise, I'd say the important thing is whether the turbine and bearings can be serviced reasonably without replacing the entire unit. (Dealers will obviously gouge you for the whole thing, given a chance!)
By the way: Are you absolutely certain that the '99s have the one-piece turbo/manifold design? The one piece unit is the Garrett VNT-15. The debate rages whether they're sold in the US or not. Everything I've read says the NBs and all the '99 TDIs have the VNT, but we're looking for a definitive answer. As near as I can tell, my manifold and turbo look pretty integrated, but it's kinda hard to cram my head down there and get a good look. My dealer was no help. (Imagine that!)

-mickey

S

SkyPup

I'm sure the manifold and the turbo are all one unit, that was one of the changes from the previous models. The Garrett VNT 17 is the exact same unit with a larger turbo vane wheel for higher output over the VNT 15. Of course, upgrading would be a ***** since it would entail replacing the entire exhaust manifold. Maybe the Euro models have the VNT 17 stock, since that is the one with the higher output.
The only mention of the word turbocharger in the 98 and 99 VW TDI Onwers manual is where the warranty states that they are covered for 70,000 miles or 7 years, which ever comes first.

S

SkyPup

One thing is for absolute certain, if anything craps out on the turbo, it is a total replacement, ie there is nothing to repair, only replace it all as a single unit. Will pay in the long run to have good clean oil and keep air filter clean too.