Is a leaky water pump covered under extended warranty?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Even my SEL Golf doesn't have the aux heater attached to the heater core. Hoping to add that at some point.

The two electric pumps are for the charge air cooler, and heater support. The latter being in operation when the shroud is covering the main TB-driven pump, allowing coolant to still flow through the head, low pressure EGR, and lastly the heater core in an attempt to gain cabin heat a little quicker.
I've installed a metal impeller GEBA (non-variable) pump on my new motor, and thus left the rear heater support pump mess of coolant lines off. So far, just a fault code but can't say for sure it's going to trigger a dash light until I get up and running.

I have two brand new VW OE variable pumps now in my possession should anyone be interested in them for cheap!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Below freezing, my golf s does have the heating element active turning heat to full and with fan to max speed but not active at higher ambiant temps. Temp gage will show moving off peg, then dropping back to peg within a few seconds. It takes 6-7 miles to reach center of gage.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
dealer confirmed wp took dump, 41k miles, tb getting replaced as well. Replacement pump has metal impeller. All under warranty.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
original pump was, new one is not. Got mine back today, new wp, timing belt, they billed vw 1485 dollars plus the loaner

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Seemed like such a good idea when I read the self study program years before i bought a mk7, but I think a 12v coolant heater would have done a lot more to warm the engine up quicker... That or an electric cabin heater. Absolutely not getting a variable pump when I replace it :)
There could still be an electric aux heater (PTC) in there, as both my 2015 GSW and Passat have them. They sit right next to the heater core.

I discovered in the GSW it is coded into module 08, Auto HVAC. Haven't founded yet in the Passat (complete different animal electronics-wise).

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
There could still be an electric aux heater (PTC) in there, as both my 2015 GSW and Passat have them. They sit right next to the heater core.

I discovered in the GSW it is coded into module 08, Auto HVAC. Haven't founded yet in the Passat (complete different animal electronics-wise).
That is a heating element that heats the air, not the coolant. It only works when the temperature control is set to Max, and it automatically turns off once the coolant in the heater core is up to temperature...

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That is a heating element that heats the air, not the coolant. It only works when the temperature control is set to Max, and it automatically turns off once the coolant in the heater core is up to temperature...
Ah, yes you are right, kinda read too fast what @Victor Huge was talking about. My BEW does have coolant heaters, basically 3 short glow plugs (or maybe 2?) in the path somewhere...I've seen them...still takes long to heat up.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I noticed oil/wetness around the crank pulley when I took skid plate off last night. Mentioned that when I dropped it off for the 80k service. Guy who did service said water pump is leaking. I have the Allstate extended warranty-their person who handles warranty said it isn't covered by the emission warranty, but another post in thread says it is. the estimate they gave for parts only is $340.86- pump, coolant, and screw. the pump # they listed was 04L121011N ($315). This isn't the same one that IDparts lists, which has L at end instead of N... so do I call VWoA and ask if it's covered?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
first have the dealer deny warranty claim in paper, then call up VWoA with the documentation of denied warranty claim.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I only think they're doing it because I have Allstate extended warranty. I'll see if they email me a denial of coverage, they wrote on my service order that I'd be following up with my extended warranty company...

schwinn guy

TDI
2001 Golf GL 5 speed
So my water pump was toast on my '15 GSW with bearing failure and the dealership is telling me it's not covered under warranty. I'll ask for that in writing and then contact VWOA. Only 72k miles

schwinn guy

TDI
2001 Golf GL 5 speed
Follow up.
I did call VWoA and they said no too even though it's still within their extended warranty ( '15 w/ 72,000 miles ) AND their written warranty states that the long block is covered and I'm pretty darn sure the water pump is included in the long block. I asked for something in writing to show were it states that it's not covered and they said they would send it.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
It seems to be water pump warranty is hit or miss. Your car being 9 years old, you probably should do a timing belt kit anyway for piece of mind. Belt is most likely fine, not so sure about tensionner and idlers. Kit price has gone down quite a bit, about $200 . The hardest part is to find a mechanic that wont screw up.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Bottom line - certainly some/many dealers and vwoa will try to weasel out of anything they think they can on these warranty claims. It will only get worse as time goes on.

I'm not sure what logic they try to use when faced with the wording (going from memory, so not exact) - "all disputes will be settled in favor of the customer".

*** Here is the actual wording cut/paste from page 9 of the gen1 settlement (09 - 14)
"Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer."

Seems pretty clear cut to me but I'm sure a properly motivated lawyer can figure out how to weasel out of pretty much anything.

Last edited:

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
I had a timing belt job covered under warranty, but the water pump was not covered as it was in good shape, but I paid to have that done as well.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
How was the timing belt covered under warranty ?
At about 40,000 miles the idler pulleys started to squeak very badly, must have been running dry. If those locked up the timing belt would snap within 100 miles. Took them forever to diagnose, I had to persuade them with youtube videos. At roughly 1/3rd of the interval mind you, should not have been failing.