Is a leaky water pump covered under extended warranty?

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Noted some wetness near the bottom of the block by the harmonic balancer and I'm figuring it's the water pump (the wetness coupled with a metallic rubbing sound which I suspect is the pump shroud has me questioning how long it's got left). I know the mileage limit is close to 200,000km for the timing belt but can anyone confirm how many years? Ten? If so, it should be warranty right?

I'm only at 120,000km for reference.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
which extended warranty? emissions? it should be under the powertrain which has expired in your case

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Generally wp and Tb components are a wear item not covered under emissions warrenty. It's 10 year or 120k Miles.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Ah ok, thanks guys. Was calling the dealer today trying to figure it out if they'll warranty the water pump but couldn't get through, will probably have to do it myself and soon if I'm getting a bit of seeping.

Compared to the Alh, the timing belt job on the mk7 seems like it would be a little easier. If any of you have done it, wouldn't mind some advice/pointers. Thanks!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Pointer: do not drain the coolant, as other people report issues with purging the system (I didn't). I just removed the water pump and replaced the coolant that drained that way. Just top the bottle before you start the engine, mine took almost a gallon back in.

Also, there are replacement metal impeller pumps
https://www.idparts.com/water-pump-cvca-crua-04l121011l-11220-p-10478.html

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's just the solenoid won't do anything, there's no feed back, the ECU just notices the current of the coil, or if it's an open circuit.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Seemed like such a good idea when I read the self study program years before i bought a mk7, but I think a 12v coolant heater would have done a lot more to warm the engine up quicker... That or an electric cabin heater. Absolutely not getting a variable pump when I replace it :)

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Seemed like such a good idea when I read the self study program years before i bought a mk7, but I think a 12v coolant heater would have done a lot more to warm the engine up quicker... That or an electric cabin heater. Absolutely not getting a variable pump when I replace it :)
i could not agree more. however i am on the fence about adding a frostheater... i am deathly afraid of these cooling systems to open it up like that. bad experience...

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I'm looking into heaters that have a pump built in to replace the 600w one it comes with. Check out "VVKB" not much info on them but I'll let you guys know how it goes if I order one!

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
No, it just would install in the space of the old one (not to big, it should fit).

Also, confirmed with dealer, timing belt is not covered under the warranty... Sad face...

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
ohhhh you mean the after run coolant pump,,,, in front of the motor right... I think you will throw codes for removing that one.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
According to my dealer, the the water pump is part of the long block assembly, so it is covered by the emissions extended warranty...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mine said it isn't, amazing how each have a different response.

Their wording is if it doesn't come in contact with motor oil, and doesn't throw a CEL for a failure, it's a maintenance item and not covered under emissions warranty.

Now that was the answer a year or so ago,.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
1854sailor said:
According to my dealer, the the water pump is part of the long block assembly, so it is covered by the emissions extended warranty
this is the correct answer.
call VWoA and open a case.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Realistically the hotter temperatures from the region can cause the electric water pump to go bad. Which is a result of the emissions modification. So the electric water pump should be covered under warranty. But the timing system is not. Nor the belt driven water pump if these have one. Yet if the motor is replaced it comes with the timing belt and everything on it new. So idk.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
proof of ordering an long block that comes with a full Timing belt/WP installed?

i heard contrary to that.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
proof of ordering an long block that comes with a full Timing belt/WP installed?

i heard contrary to that.
Without seeing it when it comes into the shop, no I don't have proof. It's just a theory. The theory based on when buying a long lock from an auto parts store. It had the timing system on it. But no water pump cuz that was serpentine driven

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so your last statement "So idk" sums up any interaction with VWoA perfectly on this situation.

Lol

btw the WP is TB driven on these TDIs.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's multiple coolant pumps on the EA288 TDI, the one that will damage the head if it fails with little to zero warning, is the one driven by the TB. This is the WP that VWoA likes to drag their feet on.

The rest will just give a code for open circuit or abnormal current draw and VWoA will warranty those under the extended emissions warranty,

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I think my tb driven wp has just taken a dump, 1/2 gallon of coolant in three days. 41k and its still under 5/50 powertrain warranty. I hope wp is a coered item

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that'd be a tough one for them to say no. Good luck

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
thanks, dealer says they are familiar with the fubar pumps and will give me a new tb as well. new pumps are supposedly improved. Anyone see what they look like? No sliding sleave, metal impeller?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
thanks, dealer says they are familiar with the fubar pumps and will give me a new tb as well. new pumps are supposedly improved. Anyone see what they look like? No sliding sleave, metal impeller?
I looked into this 6 months ago. I looked up the latest superceded p/n for the pump before going to the dealer and asking to see the part. I had the impression that dealers at some point were stocking a non-shrouded version for replacement jobs because of the apparent incidence of shrouds sticking in the closed position. But this one was shrouded, so whether it was an improved version of the original or identical to the original wasn't clear. When I replace mine, I'll be interested to see how the original's shroud has fared.

I have to admit, I like the concept of the variable-flow pump even if the over-engineering nature of it is risky. I must have been a VW powertrain engineer in a previous life :)

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there any explanation why at 35f my golf s 2015 takes 4-5 miles to get cabin heat but my 2015 passat sel gets heat in 1/2 mile? thermostat? wp sleeve? Since wp is getting replaced, anything I should mention? golf s has only 41k miles.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Is there any explanation why at 35f my golf s 2015 takes 4-5 miles to get cabin heat but my 2015 passat sel gets heat in 1/2 mile? thermostat? wp sleeve? Since wp is getting replaced, anything I should mention? golf s has only 41k miles.
Your Passat SEL most likely has the 1 KW auxiliary electric heating element. Both of our SE Golfs do...