Is a 1.8t really that bad?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Well basically all I'm saying is we don't get that much problem from the 1.8t engine and we have loads of them so if there was a design flaw I'm sure we'd be experiencing plenty of it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
No, it has TWO chains.... (and a belt). :rolleyes:

And the timing chain at the end of the camshaft, along with its electro-hydraulic phaser/tensioner, is often the Achilles Heel of this engine design.
Phaser eh?

Cadenza_7o

My '01 1.8T (APR 1.0 BAR) has 193xxx miles on original motor. The cam chain tensioner started to rattle ~140k and was replaced. Oil consumption has increased... not sure if it's going through the piston rings, the turbo and seeping through various seals.... or all the above. The CAT is original. It's passed every CA smog inspection on first test.

Hoping it'll go to 250k and reincarnate as a 2015 Beetle 2.0TSI... or even better a 2.0TDI w/o known problems (DPF, fuel line, HPFP, InterCooler).

Oh wait, it's a VW!!!

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I just picked up a 2002 Passat, got lots to learn about this engine. Starting Friday evening with the timing belt!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Make sure you get the tensioner, damper, and roller, too... and a metal impeller water pump!

You may also want to pull the valve cover and take a look at the tensioner guide shoe wear, because if it worn down, you'll want to do that now as well, as the whole t-belt system needs to come apart to get the cams out to replace the chain/tensioner.

Let me know if you need any pointers, I've done a bzillion AWM engines :p.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some, really have not needed to do a whole lot to them other than routine services. Good engines.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Make sure you get the tensioner, damper, and roller, too... and a metal impeller water pump!

You may also want to pull the valve cover and take a look at the tensioner guide shoe wear, because if it worn down, you'll want to do that now as well, as the whole t-belt system needs to come apart to get the cams out to replace the chain/tensioner.

Let me know if you need any pointers, I've done a bzillion AWM engines :p.
Thanks OH!

The tensioner guide shoes (assuming you mean the cam chain guide?) actually looked fine, no visible wear at all. I of course got the deluxe kit and installed new belt tensioner, damper, WP, as well as thermostat, temp sensor, plugs, valve cover gasket (old one was brittle and leaking and came out in many pieces), etc - and I spent hours cleaning and tinkering with stuff. The coolant had to be flushed 4x because it was apparently mixed with green stuff at a quickie luber. :mad:

Next, shocks and an axle shaft.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks OH!

The tensioner guide shoes (assuming you mean the cam chain guide?) actually looked fine, no visible wear at all. I of course got the deluxe kit and installed new belt tensioner, damper, WP, as well as thermostat, temp sensor, plugs, valve cover gasket (old one was brittle and leaking and came out in many pieces), etc - and I spent hours cleaning and tinkering with stuff. The coolant had to be flushed 4x because it was apparently mixed with green stuff at a quickie luber. :mad:

Next, shocks and an axle shaft.
Looks familiar

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Yeah, I'd say our Passats look quite alike as far as engine internals! What surprised me was the gunk on the inside of the valve cover.

And that's from Mobil1 0-40. I'm going to run Delo400 synthetic or RotellaT6 in mine from this point on.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Yeah, I'd say our Passats look quite alike as far as engine internals! What surprised me was the gunk on the inside of the valve cover.

And that's from Mobil1 0-40. I'm going to run Delo400 synthetic or RotellaT6 in mine from this point on.
Is this an engine that would benefit from Sea Foam?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah, that is a totally new engine family, EA888. And the court is still out on those. You'll have to let us know how it plays out.

I'd still be certain you are only using the proper oil and good filters, and keep it topped up. But even with those, VAG has once again chosen to use a tiny, single-roller chain setup (like a bike chain), not the larger, multi-layer link setup, like some other manufacturers use.
And I generally have to replace the tiny single-roller chain on my road bike every 4000 km or so :eek:

Of course it's exposed to road grit, don't swim in oil, etc. but you get the picture, they don't last forever.

tihol

TDI
none yet '92 Eurovan, '99 2.0 bug, y2k 1.8T bug
Back to the 1.8T - have a NB with APH, no mods, manual trns., almost 170K km, runs fine. Did T-belt, tensioner and water pump at 96K km. Got it with 57K km and it had dyno juice in. Had always used synth. 5W40 or 5W50 sine and no signs of sludge. Now it weeps oil from valve cover gasket and, of course, the chain tensioner gasket. Smoothest engine I've ever had. MIL has been on since the T-belt swap - apparently, when in doubt, the T-belt has to be attached a tooth forward, didn't know that. Would buy an Audi A4 with 1.8T with not too many qualms after thorough checks for sure.

BTW, what's a DMF?

Tihol

tihol

TDI
none yet '92 Eurovan, '99 2.0 bug, y2k 1.8T bug
Just figured out the DMF - have mine in perfect shape after 160+K kms. Car hasn't been abused and not pampered either. Swapped in a new clutch with single-mass flywheel after reading all the horror stories. No complaints with the new clutch but could have stayed with the DMF.