IQ Changes. bad nozzles?

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
the back story

got tuned in mid summer by Ben Brindle, a dealer of Malone Tuning. excellent experience

he hooked up vcds as required and while he was in there he made a small adaptation change to IQ and noted the timing was about perfect. so all was well

car moves like a bullet.

recently purchased some new seats. they had different airbag plugs, so while i was getting that sorted out i had a light on my dash.

finally got around to hooking up the VCDS to clear it off, and while i was on i checked IQ

noticed it had changed.

the problem

now im familiar with the normal range "between 3.0 and 5.0 iq"

i dont recall exactly where Ben set my IQ but i assume it was within the normal range, but right now it is bouncing between 6.3 and 6.4

im sure the slight bounce okay, although i cant find any reference of that. i have read that a big bounce is abnormal. However, 6.3 seems pretty far out of normal range.

my question

is it normal for IQ to change with weather changes? it is quite a bit cooler now than it was in Atlanta back in July. or is this a symptom of something else?

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
if this belongs in the tech forum i apologize
Mods, feel free to move thread if that is the case

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
they are just stock injectors with smog nozzles

i swapped them myself
probably around 60k miles ago

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
^drives the same... i dont even notice much difference in power or smoke.

im just concerned if it is common to have to adjust the IQ for season, wear, etc.

i cant find any other reference of such a change.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
^drives the same... i dont even notice much difference in power or smoke.

im just concerned if it is common to have to adjust the IQ for season, wear, etc.

i cant find any other reference of such a change.
If the power/smoke/fuel economy is good, then drive more and worry less. It's not common to adjust IQ for season and I'm guessing wear isn't common either. IQ of 6.3 doesn't mean something is "wrong" either.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
they are just stock injectors with smog nozzles

i swapped them myself
probably around 60k miles ago
Low pilot pressure and less than optimal secondary combustion conditions causing the increase in smoke.

Your injectors are more than likely below the minimum pressure of 200 bar ie the wear limit.