iPhone to ODBII

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Because we want to make it completely platform independent so it will work on iPhone, Android, or whatever the next hot mobile device might be, it's will not be app per se. It's also still quite a ways from being a shipping product, but we are working on it:

-Uwe-
So Uwe, by what means of connection will this have? bluetooth obviously but will I have to buy another cable or will I be able to use my Kiwi WiFi cable or will RossTech have their own wifi cable.
I just sold my Key-Com and was looking to upgrade to a HEX-USB-CAN, but if this is the wayit's going to go I just may hold out for a while.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
So Uwe, by what means of connection will this have? bluetooth obviously
In what way is that "obvious"? Maybe you should look at that picture again. ;)

There aren't any existing, off-the-shelf devices with the capabilities required to do what we we want. Hence it will be our own hardware.

-Uwe-

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI

There aren't any existing, off-the-shelf devices with the capabilities required to do what we we want. Hence it will be our own hardware.

-Uwe-
Yeah, I meant wifi,:eek: sorry, any guesses on what pricing would be?

Uwe

No guesses as to pricing right now. However, I can assure you that we will maintain our tradition of having an upgrade program for existing registered users.

-Uwe-

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m

-Uwe-
You are just talking about the OBD-II connector right? This is still planned to be Windows Mobile/Palm/Android/iOS compatible? If so, I predict every VAG head will be running it!

Uwe

You are just talking about the OBD-II connector right?
Well yes, but there's a heck of a lot of stuff that has to go inside that connector to make this happen. However, I think technology is now at the point where we can do so.

This is still planned to be Windows Mobile/Palm/Android/iOS compatible?
Definitely iOS and Android. We'd like to support all modern mobile devices which have similar capabilities to iOS and Android, which will almost certainly include the next "Windows Mobile". However, the old original Palm OS is clearly obsolete, and we haven't looked an any of the new Palm devices. Does anyone actually own one of those? ;)

If so, I predict every VAG head will be running it!
That's more or less the idea. :)

-Uwe-

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
It's great to hear that this is underway at Ross-tech, especially if there's an upgrade path to wi-fi for current owners of cabled interfaces.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
UWE

What are the chances the new program will be able to read a larger variety of OBDII?
I love Vag-Com and have been a registered user for 9 years now but I have other cars that I need OBDII for. VCDS won't read Ford, GM or toyota, at least from what I know.
I know there are a ton of OBDII programs but it would be nice to not have to buy another for my other vehicles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

terrible_tim

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi, 2002 new beetle -sold
From a windows user to apple...

This totally makes sense. I'd definitely upgrade from my current hex key. As a self employed person, I take my laptop everywhere and also now my VCDS cable since the Beetle has started throwing codes as of late.

Now my software vendor has come out with an app for the iphone/ipad that will completely elminate the need for a windows based mobile anything. Guess what my next purchase is?

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
why not make it like a webpage, that it just links up with wifi and goes to a web page, then any device that has WIFI and a browser?

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI

Now call me crazy but if I had one of these Android Tablet or something similar. That would be a bad Mofo of Vag-Com scanner. I would sell my setup in a heartbeat.

winvavw

TDI
jetta

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
iPhone is the last place for this , same with iPad. My programmer friend couldn't even get an app approved by the apple idiots for unknown reasons. Funny how Apple started off being anti-Microsoft, but nowadays are even worse than MSFT!

Also, the iPhone lacks multitasking- wonderful... how advanced is the phone when it can't even do what my 3 year old PDA has been doing since its inception?

Next time get a real phone, like an android.

Funny iPhone4 video

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
iPhone is the last place for this , same with iPad. My programmer friend couldn't even get an app approved by the apple idiots for unknown reasons. Funny how Apple started off being anti-Microsoft, but nowadays are even worse than MSFT!

Also, the iPhone lacks multitasking- wonderful... how advanced is the phone when it can't even do what my 3 year old PDA has been doing since its inception?

Funny iPhone4 video
My iPhone multi-tasks.

I was anti-iPhone as well, but after I got one I love it. It is by far the best phone I have used. I made the decision to get the iPhone because it was the measuring stick that EVERY other company compares themselves to, so why not get it.

And if your friend cannot get an app approved he cannot follow directions. I have a friend who has roughly 4 different well selling iPhone apps. He did say that the way you label or market features can be reason for not being approved, but it isn't rocket science.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m

Funny iPhone4 video
That's a real funny video. This isn't the place for an android vs iOS discussion though.

Back to UWE: Hurry up LOL. I really want a wifi VCDS!!! I'll beta test LOL Please :eek:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
The app is for a company that does networked security cameras. They wanted people to be able to watch the cameras remotely.

They were rejected on the iPhone and iPad because apple sold out to ATT and does not like bandwith intensive apps. I'm not sure about the multitasking, they may have added that in, but I do know that it started off with not allowing programs in the background.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The app is for a company that does networked security cameras. They wanted people to be able to watch the cameras remotely.

They were rejected on the iPhone and iPad because apple sold out to ATT and does not like bandwith intensive apps. I'm not sure about the multitasking, they may have added that in, but I do know that it started off with not allowing programs in the background.

There are TONS of bandwidth intensive apps out there. Sorry I don't buy it.

winvavw

TDI
jetta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1uKD6RS8I
Above is a youtube thread that basically shows the goLink app at work. I received my OBDII cable that is iPhone compatible and ran the App. FUZZYLUKE is the actual workhorse of the goLink app and for me not being a mechanic of any sorts..... the App has a lot of data readings that mean nothing to me. The code reader was the reason I bought this and sofar I have successfully used the goLink on my 04 TDI and 06 Suburban. Have not yet had to clear the codes to shut off a check engine light but I did run the app via my iPhone on my commute home and it was spewing a lot of info that meant nothing to me. I understand the RPM, MPG, Vehicle Speed, but that is about it. Data points like Intake Manifold Pressure, Engine Load Value are alien to me. I did just reset my trouble code and got rid of the Check Engine light. No worries, and going to fix that problem, replace glow plug harness, when I stop traveling for more than three days. Sometimes work sucks. Anywho, I spent $105.00 for the OBD cable + shipping and am happy with the product so far. It has only been 2 days and I am no mechanic but I want to try and get a better understanding of my TDI and begin performing my own minor repairs and felt this was a way to start. :D

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
subscribed. As a iphone 3gs owner and a HEX-CAN cable owner I like where this is going.:)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
subscribed. As a iphone 3gs owner and a HEX-CAN cable owner I like where this is going.:)
Adam, if you have the app I can lend you my KiWi WiFi OBDII cable for you to check it out if you like.

09R/T

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5M
I cant wait for the VCDS mobile....for now I use Innovate Motorsports OT-2. Buy the wi-fi version, download the free app, and off you go....definatly not as good as the VCDS, but does the trick for now.