iPhone 5 Lighting connector compatibililty

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Have you guys read the news about Apple's new iPhone 5?
Apple has changed its dock to an 8pin "Lighting" port, and have an adapter for sale to work with the current docking system.
So, my question is, does anyone know if with the adapter, does it still work with the iPod docking system in our cars?
I have no doubt sound/voice would still go through, but what about on screen display & song control?

Thanks,

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Apple is happily sell you an adapter.
Apple sure does know how to take advantage of their sucker customers.

When other manufacturers can make their phones to fully accept a micro-USB and still have the same port have other abilities like MHL, there is no reason why Apple can't make a similar port. The only reason to have such a proprietary connector is to get more money out of their customers plain and simple.

Last edited:

sintax

TDI
wanting a GTD =(
Apple sure does know how to take advantage of their sucker customers.

When other manufacturers can make their phones to fully accept a micro-USB and still have make the same port have other abilities like MHL, there is no reason why Apple can't make a similar port. The only reason to have such a proprietary connector is to get more money out of their customers plain and simple.
This is one case where i'll knock the **** out of apple all day long. No doubt its simply about royalties. They get a kickback on every connector made, even by 3rd party companies. From a business standpoint, i see their view, but as a consumer, it kinda sucks.

diamond.g

TDI
2012 United Grey Golf TDI 6MT w/Tech
Does our radios use iPod-Out? It would appear that the 30-pin adapter isn't compatible with that feature.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
it *should* work with the adapter, as I believe Apple even showed it working with a MDI cable in their demo.

the iPod-Out controls are for BMW's and mini's from what i understand.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I thought the phone came with one adapter. My brother got his on launch date. I would check for you with my Golf, but he won't let me touch it. He is always caressing it himself.

Ironically he drives a MINI and it is the BMW/MINI audio system that uses iPod out. The lightning connector adapter will carry the analog audio signal, which Apple had to clarify after some early online reports said it wouldn't.

ETA - Just checked with him. He did not get the adapter in the box. Wow. I do consider that a $$ grab on Apple's part.

Last edited:

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Apple has just screwed over an entire industry that builds accessories for their phone.

Now this "Lightning" port is supposed to be faster - but you can use a USB(f) MDI for your VW with the cable the phone comes with or, you can use the lightning to 30pin adapter that Apple will be selling too. (to adapt to all the iPhone4/iPod/iPad/iPad2 connectors)

On the other had - those of us keeping the iPhone4s until gone will see a large number of accessories going on clearance sales.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Change is inevitable. All I want to see are pigtails with 30pin female to lightning that I can use in my car or home docking stations. I will loose an adapter and prefer cords anyway.

Anyone looking for a near mint unlocked AT&T 4 hit me up. Unsure if there is a place on this forum to sell misc items. Not looking to step on anyone's toes

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Apple has just screwed over an entire industry that builds accessories for their phone.

Now this "Lightning" port is supposed to be faster - but you can use a USB(f) MDI for your VW with the cable the phone comes with or, you can use the lightning to 30pin adapter that Apple will be selling too. (to adapt to all the iPhone4/iPod/iPad/iPad2 connectors)

On the other had - those of us keeping the iPhone4s until gone will see a large number of accessories going on clearance sales.
The old 30PIN connector has been around for 10 years. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with them changing and I have a good dozen of the old ones around the house too.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
received my adapter yesterday, works just fine in my car (just in case anyone was wondering)

took long enough to arrive, heh.
Where did you get it from and how much (if you don't mind me asking)

IF I go the iphone 5 route, for my applications with docking stations and in the VW I would want a few pigtail style ones with some cord length instead of teetering the phone on an adapter in the dock

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
The direct (no cord) adaptor will be available in about two weeks.

USB seems logical, but similar to the 30 pin plug, it is directional where Lightning is not. Not a big deal, but it is more convenient IMO.

You can argue about whether or not Apple should have included an adaptor with the new iPhone 5, but that would have been a wasted effort on any new customer that did not previously own an iPhone.

If I had to guess, within 6 months there will be a large ecosystem of inexpensive docks, adaptors, 12V chargers, etc. compatible with the lightning port.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
Where did you get it from and how much (if you don't mind me asking)

IF I go the iphone 5 route, for my applications with docking stations and in the VW I would want a few pigtail style ones with some cord length instead of teetering the phone on an adapter in the dock
I got the one with the cord direct from the Apple Store - cost $30

the length of the cord allows it to sit where the cupholders are between the two front seats. wish the cord was just a bit longer, would have been perfect. good enough for now.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
That is what I was hoping to find, thanks. $39 is a bit steep, but prices will come down I hope. Never had luck with the aftermarket cables on past iPhones.

TDI Squirrel

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Dr
Are any of you having an issue with Bluetooth dialing? I went from the iPhone 4 to the 5, and I can only dial someone over Bluetooth if I activate Siri. Also my lightning adapter works fine in the car.