IP shaft oil seal keeps leaking 96 VW Taro

ytk

TDI
MK3
I am dealing with a frustrating issue for a couple of years now. I had an IP which was leaking fuel from the seal , replaced it a few times(the seal) ,tried it with a sleeve once but it would always go back to leaking after about 10k miles
Replaced it for a used IP which didn't seem to have any leaks from the shaft but I put in a new quality seal any way and also exchanged for a new sprocket just in case the old one was unbalanced and caused wobbling which would brake the seal , but again after about 10k it started leaking again :(
Could it be that both shafts are worn and never been replaced ? Really dont know what else to look for and its time consuming for me to keep opening the timing all the time.
Is this a known issue with these pumps?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Not fimilure with the taro but my ip started leaking when I installed my inline walbro pump. I was making 13psi and I started to have wetness around the QA and its hat. Backed it down to 11psi and it stopped and yes my seals were new.
Any chance you have a in tank lift pump or an inline pump? These pumps, and I think yours as well dont work well with higher psi.
I've never heard of these pumps leaking so fast.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I had my Toyota diesel's Denso pump rebuilt by someone local. They had no problems with it.

Not many Toyota diesels here (aside from the Hino trucks), and they never sold the Taro here. Our last diesel Toyota pickup was way back in 1986. Mine was an '82.

ytk

TDI
MK3
This Taro Is an identical twin to Toyota hilux i those years.

I dont have any pressure feed system to the pump , do you think it could be because increased internal pressure? the pump is adjusted a bit more advanced than spec and the plunger stroke is increased.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think you need to have the pump professionally rebuilt, as stated above. They can tell you if major problems exist like a case that is bad, shaft that is not true, etc. that could cause a seal to constantly leak.