Iowa TDI Unite?

DanielFox118

TDI
RIP - 2002 Jetta GL
Ok, so copying Missouri, but that's alright.

Anyone from Iowa on here? I'm looking for fellow TDIers to talk with about the love of diesel. I know I've seen at least one TDI around Des Moines.

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
Howdy from Pleasantville, about 30 miles SE of Des Moines. I have recently purchased a '01 Jetta GLS TDI, automatic. I have owned several diesels over the years, but the learning curve on the TDI is steep and I feel overwhelmed. I am almost to the point of considering putting it back up for sale, buying a Civic and saying nuts to all the goofy crap that goes along with these cars. The TDI is a totally different animal from my Dodge Ram/Cummins (over 300k and driven daily) or the 2 Mercedes diesels I have owned. With those you change oil every 5K and fuel filters every 10k and they just run and run, no problems, no kidding. These things have stuff you need to re-engineer yourself, that kind of irks me. Most of these quirky things should be a non-issue. Guess my grandpa was right when he told me, 'You get what you pay for'. I feel that is definitely the case with these cars, they should have engineered them properly (EGR system especially) and raised the price a few grand if need be, it would have been worth it in the long run, the previous owner of my car had paid $2000 twice to have the EGR/intake manifold cleaned. Anyway sorry to be so long, Howdy, from another not so happy TDIer in Iowa.

powerram250

TDI
2004 PD Jetta/ 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hey, just saw this thread. Lockridge, IA, southeast corner with a '98 Jetta TDI. Just bought it a month ago and after fixing it (timing belt problem) I love it. Rides and drives great. No real big problems yet. Hope none in the future with the miles.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
ebrobb,

Over 300k miles on my 99.5 Jetta TDI, its driven daily, change the oil every 6k, fuel filter every 15k, timing belt every 100k and it just runs and runs, no problems, no kidding.:D

Cheers:)

DanielFox118

TDI
RIP - 2002 Jetta GL
ebrobb, I'll be honest, even with the minor glitch I had, I still love my TDI. And 2000 dollars to have the intake manifold cleaned? Seriously? Even Lithia was going to do mine for 1100, which was obviously a solid rip off, but we have our good buddy Ben who's going to do mine tomorrow for a much, much better price.

And getting the maintenance down is worth it I think. My fuelly badge pretty clearly shows my point. I don't think there's another car out there with the sheer beauty of everything the TDI has. Fuel efficiency, power, speed. And not to mention the fact that it doesn't look alien like many of the hybrid alternative.

And powerram, have never heard of Lockridge. What's it near? It seems maybe the TDI thing is catching on in Iowa. 3 in the past couple months isn't bad. :)

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
O.K. Maybe I was somewhat harsh and wanted to vent a little bit. I think most of my problem is the fact that I purchased a car that is somewhat of a mechanics special, and I'm overwhelmed by the learning curve. The PO had limited funds and kept up with maintenance but when a larger problem surfaced she didn't have deep enough pockets to get it taken care of and she couldn't fix anything herself. She provided me a stack of reciepts from work she had done and she got ripped off everywhere she went. Also she never went to the same place twice and therein never established a good working relationship with one shop.
Anyhow in general I am a diesel nut, and my wife drives the Jetta primarily, she commutes 80 miles per day round trip. So far she loves the car, it rides decent, handles like a go cart, is easy to park, easily cruises at 70 mph even with the A/C on. We haven't owned it long enough to get a good bead on the fuel economy yet.
One major plus of the car is most parts are available at NAPA or O'Reilly, with Mercedes you gotta mail order everything or go to the dealer. Either way you pay dearly for Mercedes parts. I did a brake job on the Jetta when we first got it, the local NAPA had the parts on the shelf.

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
to vwjettadsl, I was just reading some of the other threads on this page and you say you may be coming to Iowa in June sometime. If you are gonna be in town I may have you take a look at my car. I am getting a CEL the code is PO402-EGR valve excessive flow. As I said in my previous post I am still trying to get a handle on this car and some of its problems, some help might be nice. I realize you charge for this. Let me know and if you want to exchange emails separate from this site that would be cool.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
ebrobb, I can understand you wanting to vent a little.;) I'll send you a PM about your problem. Unfortunately I'm no longer planning on being in Iowa in June, mainly since DanielFox118 brought the car to me rather than wait for me to come up to Iowa. I do plan on passing through Iowa in the end of July though, but thats a ways off yet.

If you Iowa TDI'ers ever plan a GTG I'd be interested in coming up.:D

Cheers,
Ben

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
Yes if someone wants to plan some kind of get together that might be fun. By the way we just filled up for the 2nd time this weekend allowing us to calculate fuel economy and we came up with 35.1 MPG. Sort of disappointing, but the CEL remains on, I have read that it effects economy and power, oddly the thing has plenty of power. I did the CCV version 3 this weekend and the ventectomy. I need to get the EGR thing figured out so I can keep the CEL off. I may order a Ross tech cable this week.

DanielFox118

TDI
RIP - 2002 Jetta GL
Where would we want to have the get together? Who's the closest to the middle? I know we have at least one other member in Des Moines. And I'm sure if we actually started trying there's probably a couple other members at least. And I'm sure at least one of us is capable of throwing burgers on a grill.

Pvt. Joker

TDI
98 Jetta
Did you guys decide on a date? Chiming in here from wellsburg ia, about 25 miles west of Waterloo/cedar falls on hwy 20.

DanielFox118

TDI
RIP - 2002 Jetta GL
I don't think we ever even decided we would have a get together. Also, I saw a pretty new silver Jetta at Sam's Club today. I don't suppose he's a member because he looked like an older gentleman, but it was a fine looking car nonetheless.

Anyway, who's up for a G2G? Date, time, place?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
In my town of 9000. there are two Jetta TDIs and a Passat TDI wagon.

In the parking lot of the office where I work in West Des Moines there is a 2006 charcoal-gray Golf TDI 5-speed; AIRC it has Polk County plates.

In Ames and Iowa City and Cedar Falls/Waterloo and across the state there are probably hundreds of TDIs and TDI owners... maybe thousands. Most of them have never heard of TDI Club. The only club member I know is Sooch, and I only know him because I saw him at GTG in Missouri and Wisconsin. (I know OF Sassyrel in Applington, but have never met him.)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Ken aka KLMTDI is in Ankeny, and I have met him, but he has never posted. So you can PM him but not search for him. He may be able to loan or rent timing belt tools, unless he's moved in the last couple years since I met him.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I have at least 50 clients from IA. Most don't post on here though.

Pvt. Joker

TDI
98 Jetta
Does Sassyrel have a 99 MKIII Wolfburg? If so he is selling it up the street about 10 miles from my place. Nice car. Its a gasser but nice none the less.

JD_DZL

TDI
2006 Diesel Edition Jetta
Nashua has one TDI that I know of (2006.5). Roughly mid way between Waterloo and Mason City.

vwJettadsl, are you going to have a separate thread for your Iowa trip? Mid-July lines up well with the 100k mark on my Jetta!

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I'll be moving near the quad-cities area soon, (other side of the river), and I'm always happy to assist with TB tools and changes.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
manual_tranny said:
I'll be moving near the quad-cities area soon, (other side of the river), and I'm always happy to assist with TB tools and changes.
An eastern-Iowa (and western-Illinois) GTG might be easier to organize than a central-Iowa GTG. I presume your new home will have at least a 4-car garage with a lift?

manual_tranny

TDI
TornadoRed said:
An eastern-Iowa (and western-Illinois) GTG might be easier to organize than a central-Iowa GTG. I presume your new home will have at least a 4-car garage with a lift?
Actually, a lift will be the first thing I do after I move in! :D

My family recently traded farms and we acquired a couple of houses in the deal. The house I'll be moving to is on a new-to-us farm and it has a 2 car garage, (L-shaped, big enough for 3 actually). I would be totally stoked to hold GTGs there! It's probably about 50 minutes East from the quad cities, but there is a whole lot of space to work...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Will you be holding a GTG this fall, before the snow flies?

manual_tranny

TDI
That would be perfect. I'll start a feeler thread for an IA/IL GTG and see what kind of results we get. There wouldn't be any limits on the number of people or noise or anything.

I've got a lot of ideas, I'll put them in the new thread...!

Nocky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I'm near Iowa City and am a happy TDIer.:) My son, daughter and I have 4.5 diesel between us. :confused:The half a car is my sons 1989 Jetta non turbo diesel.:eek: It still runs and has over 250,000 miles it just getting tired. I do have a vacom and have done 3 timing belts so far.

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
An eastern Iowa GTG would be cool. I would drive over there for it. We went to Pella last night for supper and saw 2 Jetta TDI's in that town of probably less than 10,000. One was being used as a pizza hauler for the local Breaduex joint. I'm sure it belonged to an employee or his or her parents and not the actual resturant, the other was dark blue and had taken quite a beating from a hail storm.
Anyway I was pretty grouchy in my other posts on this thread, but what I think was the underlying cause is the fact that my wife wrecked her Mercedes diesel this winter, and while looking for another we ended up finding this Jetta TDI that was in need of quite a bit of work. So I was bitter about it not having a 3 pointed star on the end of the hood. I'm slowly getting over that, and we have made big gains on fixing many problems with the car. I still want to buy a VCDS sometime in the future or meet someone that has one and knows how to use it, cause I would very much like to verify the timing on my car.
Put me on the list for a GTG!!! Thanks

Natura

TDI
2011 VW Golf
Hello everyone! New here and just bought my first diesel. Loving it so far! Anyhow, I live in West Des Moines and hope to see some of you around town cheers:)

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
plug for Ben

for all of you in need of mechanical work in IA, vwjettadiesel did two TDI TB's and an intake manifold exchange for me last year in Des Moines. Ben does quality work. catch him when he's in town because he's based in MO.

TDI's rock. i'm on my third one. i keep passing the older ones to members of the family. they run STRONG forever.

and never let a dealer touch it. i gave up going to the stealership years ago. they don't know how to diagnose a problem. they want to change parts on a guess and charge you $$. went to 3 dealers for 3 different problems. they were wrong on all three.

get all your parts online. my '99 need a cat after it rusted out at 178k miles. $700 for the OEM part. found a low mileage take off for $100.

Last edited:

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
for all of you in need of mechanical work in IA, vwjettadiesel did two TDI TB's and an intake manifold exchange for me last year in Des Moines. Ben does quality work. catch him when he's in town because he's based in MO.
Thanks kato! I'm actually going to be traveling all over Iowa in Sept, probably the second week most likely. So if anyone needs some work done or wants a Malone/Alligator chip tune just let me know.

Cheers,
Ben

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
Hey..

Another Cedar Rapids area guy here (work in CR, like 20mi due north). I don't post much anymore here but occasionally lurk. First time I've seen this thread.

One of these days I need to have Jason look over my TDI. I had clutch problems and talked with him about replacing it.. but the delear, while denying doing anything apparently made the problem at least temporarily go away.

But I'm almost out of warranty (I had the 50K "older warranty") on mine and want someone who actually knows what they are doing on the TDI to work on it instead of the Toyota dealer in CR. (Which is what VW of CR is). I got about every little reported "quirk" that one can have with a PD TDI on my car. Rough idle that turning on the AC fixes (only at about 79-87 degrees outside air temp, too..).. XM radio frequently does "NO SAT RADIO".. clutch I know won't last probably more than another 10K...

Because of this it'd be good to meet other more mechanically inclined TDI owners than myself locally...

But I still like the car and don't yet regret buying it.

Anyway.. I would be nice to do a IA GTG. I know there are a lot of TDIers in Eastern Iowa. I see TDI's everywhere. We should get something set up.

Fred