Introduction of new (to me) '03 Beetle in DFW - TX

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
Introduction of new (to me) \'03 Beetle in DFW - TX

Hey everyone...I've been lurking and posting here for a couple months and just wanted to formally say what's up since I took ownership of a vw tdi this weekend. I bought it from my dad who bought it new. It's a 2003 Beetle tdi with 56K miles. I'm going to call the dealership where he has been taking it to confirm about oil changes and what they have been using since all my dad knows is he takes it there every 5K miles or so. The check box on the window sticker said "Castrol Fully Synthetic"...so I'm guessing it's ok.

Anyway, it drives great and I will be getting to some of the things I have been reading about on here. But I would love any advice about the first place to start or what I should be paying attention to first. Feel free to help out a fella make good decisions based on your experience.

Here's some pics...as if you didn't know what one looked like. It's a GLS with cloth interior, sunroof and Monsoon stereo. No cd...but my dad gave me the iPod that came with it and all the goodies

Working on my first vented tank:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Introduction of new (to me) \'03 Beetle in DFW - TX

Congratulations!!

Since I assume you don't have the same financial resources as your dad, I'm guessing that you'll want to do at least some of the maintenance chores yourself!! Since you've been here a while, I'm sure you know where to look for the Oil Change, Fuel Filter change, and "snow screen" change videos... Order a Pela 6000 from Jerry B. Leach (mention the TDI-Club), get some Mobil Truck & SUV oil from WalMart, a filter kit from one of the suppliers here, as well as a few spare parts (relay 109, to keep in the glove compartment), and get comfortable with the insides of the car! It should serve you well for a long time!

Yuri.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
Re: Introduction of new (to me) \'03 Beetle in DFW

Yeah...I want to do some of the maintenance stuff myself anyway. I'm just like that. Haven't decided on oil change from the top or bottom yet...but that will depend on if I get that valve thing or the Pela. I like the cleanliness of the Pela but not sure about getting all the stuff in the pan that comes out with the drain from the bottom.

I will need to do some reading too on that other stuff. The problem is most of those videos and walkthroughs are for Jettas or something else with a bigger engine compartment. I know everything is in a similar location...but it just looks a little bit different in the Beetle.

Thanks for the tips and the welcome!