Intro & Digi PD Powerbox question

tgiaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5s
Hi all,

Noob here :)

I've been lurking around and reading alot these past cpl days and obviously learned a lot about TDIs in general given the godly amount of info that can be found here.

I'm taking posession of a new 2006 5sp Jetta TDI this week, which will be my first TDI. I've previously driven them but never owned one. Considering this will be my 6th car, I'm glad I finally made that step forward.

I've read a lot about performance upgrades on these engines, particularly about chips and powerboxes and I'm leaning towards a Digi PD powerbox in the very near future. I've noticed that there are two types of these, wired and wireless. If I understand right, the wired model is no longer available but what interests me and what I couldn't find any info on is the difference between the two. So, what is a wired module doing more (or less) than the wireless one and why is the wired one discontinued?

Also, I noticed that there are multiple performance settings that can be chosen from using a switch. Is that switch accessible from the cabin or can it only be operated on the module itself which is found in the engine compartment?

Thanks in advance for the info

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
To answer your first question, the differences between the boxes are below:

Wired PD DIGI Box - Produces more power and more smoke. This box is also a more involved installation. (we still have these boxes available). The added bonuses to this set up is that you can add the TPC unit and acheive more HP and TQ. See the link below to Nick's video:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=166811

Wireless PD DIG - Produces less power than the wired version and less smoke. The installation is extremely easy.

Both boxes are fully adjustable, but to adjust the settings you have to do this at the box, and the box is located in the engine compartment.

Hope this helps.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
From what I have heard both boxes are great, I use the wireless version. (no smoke with b20)

You might want to PM Jettagirl, she uses a wired box and drag races her car.

:D

gabinyetov

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, luxury pacage
Hi
I got wired DIGI PD pro. Work flawless, no smoke at all. Always set on F.
Instalation is not hard at all, you have to run one wire through your fire wall and connect to trottle pedal.
It gives a little bit more power to my car. I like it, but it`s not enough.
JSP still selling DIGI PD Pro, that`s where i got my box

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hi!
I drag race my 2006 Jetta TDI and have used both the wired pro-box and the wireless box. Both are/were DieselPower Digi-PD boxes. I couldn't really *feel* the power difference between the two, but my 1/4 mile times definitely showed the difference. The wireless box is an easier install, but the wired box isn't so hard, either. The wired box does smoke a bit more, but I've noticed with the TPC module that I just had installed, it hardly smokes at all now. If you are looking for maximum performance, go with the wired box and the TPC module. If you are looking for better fuel economy, and about 30 more HP, go with the wireless box. The wired pro-box was about 1second to 1.5 second faster in the 1/4 mile. PM me if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!:)

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
jetta-girl said:
The wired pro-box was about 1second to 1.5 second faster in the 1/4 mile.
That's a HUGE difference in a 1/4 mile time. On my diesel truck I have to up the rwhp by 75-100hp to see that kind of difference.

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Yes, you're right, it is a big difference. My stock times were ~19.5, the wireless box was right at 18.0-18.1, the wired pro-box took me down to 16.8-16.5. So, yeah, for one mod that is completely stealth, that is a huge power gain. I couldn't really feel much difference between the two boxes, but again, my time slips definitly show the difference in power between the two. The wireless box felt very powerful as well. Now that I have the TPC module my car feels wicked fast!:D I'm hoping to touch the 15's. Don't know if it's possible, but it sure feels like it might be.:eek: I've made one 1/4 mile pass with the TPC, and long story short, I drove aweful and pulled off a 16.42. That being said, if I pay better attention to my shift points, and run on a warmer track, I'm expecting to get WAY better times in a couple of weeks. The track we were racing on last weekend was so slick, even the 4x4 trucks were losing grip. The track officials kept spraying it down with VHT, but it was just too cold for traction.