Into AHU Tracker build/help

Saburai

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hello All! I'm very happy to have found this great site so full of excellent information! A bit about me: I'm life long motorhead, my first cars (as a 14 yr old) were a 1961 type 1 Baja Bug and a '66 Mustang GT at the same time, so I started across the board and continue to do so! Along with high school, I graduated automotive vocational school 40 years ago, time seems to flies faster every year... Life took me in a different direction but for a few periods in my life, I've worked as a mechanic and was a partner in a small VW restoration and repair shop in S.W. Florida. However, mostly my obsession with vehicles has been a hobby. Actually more a way of life, as I abhor having someone else work on my vehicles and for that matter, everything else as well! So I've been "involved" with vehicles since I was a boy. However, it's only in the last few years that I've been dabbling with diesel engines. I'm on idi F250 number 2, a very nice example of the (IMHO) best of breed, a '94 4x4 factory turbo XLT. The first was a '90 that I installed a turbo system on, it definitely a needed upgrade! The 7.3 in NA form leaves a bit to be desired in the power department! In regards to my Tracker project, so far I've got the Tracker and a week ago, I took delivery of a '98 AHU from a Canadian Jetta, I've got the harness, e-pedal assembly and other components as well. I've been studying some of the build threads, all very inspiring and helpful! Initially I had planned to farm out the wiring, but as you're all aware, costs stack up very quickly! Because of this and the pride and sense of accomplishment of doing it myself, I'm considering taking a shot at the engine harness myself. To that end, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some help here from those who have done this... Can anyone point me towards wiring diagrams to help me sort out my harness so that I can begin to work on it? Are there any AHU specific manuals, .pdf or otherwise available on the web? Other resources - posts, threads, videos or websites would be much appreciated as well! Not just for the AHU wiring but anything that you think would help me with the Tracker build. I'll post up more as time allows. For now, I'd like to post a few pictures of the project as it stands now. Is there a way to post pictures directly from my phone? I see that it's possible to post from a hosting account, but I'd rather just do it directly.
Many thanks,
Rich aka Saburai

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Sounds like a fun project. I wouldn't be concerned about the wiring harness work, the AHU harness is not complex and easy to strip down. Only need a few wires to get the engine to run, and a few more to incorporate all of the components, some of which you could also choose to do without if you run a tune that eliminates them (e.g. N18 valve, MAF, etc). The only challenge really in the end becomes building the harness physically to reach all the components in the locations you want to mount them in, and doing it with a clean appearance.

Here are a couple of good links specific to the AHU harness. His site is generally oriented towards Vanagon swaps but these give good insight on uses of this engine in other applications too.

I like the IDI 6.9/7.3L as well, they're underappreciated motors IMO. Overshadowed by the Powerstroke version but the old IDIs are much quieter and smoother runners, simpler, and less prone to leaks and other problems as they age. I would pick a good running factory IDIT over an early 7.3 PSD. Both are hardworking units but listening to the PSD chatter all day wears you out, where the IDI is a much calmer experience.

Good luck and have fun. :)

Saburai

TDI
1998 Jetta
Thanks for the links! I'm trying to find a numbered diagram for the 68 pin ecu connector, any idea where I might find one?