International rebuild

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
At our shop they are rebuilding an International D466E, that is from memory so it might be missing a digit. The rebuild kit came complete in one box with new pistons, rings, sleeves, wrist pins, head gasket, thermostat, filters, assorted hardware; $2,700.00. They are re-using the injectors and most everything else. They let me take a piston, made my day.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
Head, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Old piston, they told me one was burnt.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
Stopped by the garage today to see the progress and its all done, fired right up.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
yeah you were right. you're missing a digit. It is a DT466E. I'm really surprised that you only got a 111k out of it. They usually go much further than that for a rebuild, like in the 250-300k range. I'm guessing it was either ran hot or run without oil. Remember that the oil is the LIFE of these type of engines! When the oil gets dirty, it clogs the very small orifices in the injectors and makes them skip. You should shoot for oil changes around 6000mi to prevent this.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
The oil pan was rotten, so it very well could have run low on oil. These trucks do lots of idling and slow rolling though.

JBTech

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 speed
Neat motors for sure!

We have two at my Air National Guard unit.
We have 1991's with roughly 30k each. Basically untouched!
They are in 44k trucks, so they are dogs, but still good motors!