Intermittent stalling

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
New to the forum forgive me if I mess this up. New to the VW world. Not new to diesels have had tons over the years. I can not figure this car out its having an intermittent stalling issue and sudden loss of power when it loses power it gets very shaky. The cruise control wont hold speed. All of this seems to only happen during the day. Coolant temp seems fine gauge stays at 190. Brand new Bosh MAF sensor. It does have P2196 P0266 P0272 P0263 codes codes cleared runs great then they return usually under any sort of load. If i leave it idling it will shut off after a few minutes. Any help will be appreciated.

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
Seems like a pretty cheap part to throw at it. Maybe it will help ill give it a shot. If not well i have a spare

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Research all those codes here-
Ross-Tech
You should find some similarities to give a clue.
CTS, in-tank and tandem pumps sometimes wear out. Often issues are simple wire/connects, not easy to find sometimes.

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
All of the codes were cylinder contribution faults on 1,2, and 4. I couldn’t find the P2196 on Ross tech but google says pre catalytic oxygen sensor detecting rich air to fuel ratio. Should I replace the 02 sensor? Clean the intake?

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Cylinder or injector? My injectors finally threw a code so I replaced them ready for another 350 k

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
Okay stumped. New MAF sensor new crank sensor. New o2 sensor. Shutting off stopped. Keep getting an engine code for rich condition bad o2.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just to clarify, are you using a VW-specific scanner like VCDS or something generic, and which specific code have you been left with?

I ask because "rich condition" is not generally diesel terminology (no throttle plate, so always lean) and generic code readers will only pick up a sub-set of the errors the ECU is tracking and can throw general codes that can be misleading.

One other thought: O2 sensor codes are often the result of the O2 sensor working fine but the ECU seeing an issue up-stream of the O2 sensor, because the readings are whack. For example, sometimes EGR issues get detected by the O2 sensor... in fact, IIRC that's the only reason there's an O2 sensor on the PD engine in the first place.

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
Im using an autophix VW, audi, skoda, seat scanner. It has a specific tab for VW. The only code showing up in the ECU scan is the P219600 "o2 rich bank 1 sensor 1." First time ive ever used a scanner and defiantly not used to trouble shooting in depth on these types of cars. It certainly isn't an old ford. Im planning on deleting the EGR system and deep cleaning the intake i have the kit just haven't got around to it. Your saying there is more then likely the problem is with the EGR system?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
That code-read isn't of any value. That's a generic code (not a VW one, NOT for a TDI for sure).

What's the behavior now (you mentioned no more shutting off- the crank position sensor resolved that)?

I've cleaned three intakes plus cleaned ports in two heads. If there's anyone who should jump on the "remove all that crap" bandwagon it ought to be me. BUT, in all cases I reinstalled the EGR components and have NO concern about ever having to do that work again: drive them as they are supposed to be driven and clogging doesn't happen. I had issues with my speed/cruise control holding speed on my car; after cleaning my intake that problem went away.

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
It used to randomly shut off when I would pull into a drive thru or at a stop light. It hasn’t done it since I replaced the cps. The cruise used to never hold speed it would slowly back off until I tapped the throttle that seemed to resolve after I did the o2 sensor it does it once in a great while it will back off about 5mph then catch itself and return. The CEL will go away when I clear the ECU code and randomly come back either that day or a week later. I got the delete kit because I don’t have emissions down here and my buddy did it to his along with some other mods which I’ll be doing and his Jetta gets about 800 miles on a tank

JMad

TDI
2004 Jetta
I should also add I just took it on a 500 mile trip and it would start shaking and have no power until I turned it off and restarted it. It did that about 5 times